Interesting TravelGuard Response

Mrs. Squirrel

Just thought I'd share the following story.

For many years, I have purchased TravelGuard Gold insurance via Insure My Trip for our cruises. I have always been very careful to add all pre-paid, non-refundable expenses within the proper time-frame. Well, I screwed up. Called Insure My Trip and was told by the customer service agent to send in an explanation of what happened and they would forward it to TravelGuard. He didn't see any reason why they wouldn't make an exception. He told me to make sure to include the volume of business I've given them and the fact that I've never made a claim.

Here is my e-mail to TravelGuard via Insure My Trip:

I have made final payment on my NCL Sun cruise vacation departing on 2/13/2014 in the amount of $2,852.51. I made the final payment on 11/27/2013. Due to the fact that I was leaving for another cruise the following week (An NCL Pearl cruise for which I also purchased a TravelGuard Gold policy through Insure My Trip), I got busy with vacation prep and forgot to contact you to have this final payment added to the above TravelGuard Gold policy in the time frame needed to preserve the pre-existing conditions clause. I found my error, tonight, as I was assembling and printing documents for the cruise next month.

I will need to have my travel insurance policy total amount increased by the final payment to $3,859.71. I understand that this will result in an increase in premium due of $68.00. I am also requesting that TravelGuard make a one time exception to the 21 day rule and allow me to keep my pre-existing conditions clause on this policy. You will see by my history that I am a loyal TravelGuard purchaser. In addition, I have never failed to promptly add any pre-paid, non-refundable expenses before, nor have I ever had a claim. A final consideration is that just within the last two weeks, I have booked two additional cruises that will need TravelGuard insurance. . .a seven day MSC cruise in April of 2014 and a seven day NCL Alaskan cruise in July of 2015, the later of which will be quite an expensive policy, as we are adding a week of land touring post-cruise.

Whatever you can or cannot do thank you in advance for your consideration.

Here is Travel Guard's response:

Thank you for your email.

The requested changes have been made. The additional collection comes to $68.00 charged to the card on file. The pre-existing waiver stays on the policy regardless and then, in the event that a claim is filed, it will be up to the Claims department on whether the pre-existing conditions waiver is kept on the policy.

What???? Is there any other way to interpret TravelGuard's answer other than, "Yes, we'll keep your pre-existing conditions waiver. . .as long as you don't file a claim and need to use it."? :rolleyes: Lol! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The way around this, although perhaps not the most desirable, is to estimate the cost up front and only adjust the policy levels if and when you exceed them. Pricing changes at $500 trip cost increments, so it does not have to be figured to each penny. And that way you do not open yourself to challenges of the PEC waiver.

The way around this, although perhaps not the most desirable, is to estimate the cost up front and only adjust the policy levels if and when you exceed them. Pricing changes at $500 trip cost increments, so it does not have to be figured to each penny. And that way you do not open yourself to challenges of the PEC waiver.

That is what we do and I personally find it easier. Usually, we will have to go to the next bracket after booking airfare. In that case, a call to the company and it's done!