Australia NZ tipping question

GrammieMame

I read in TripAdvisor (CC's sister site) that tipping at meals in NZ, although not customary and not required, is appreciated. 10% is the 'norm'.

Apparently tipping for taxis is to round up to the nearest dollar so they don't have to hunt for change.

Although I don't suppose anyone would give you a tip back if you offered one!

Edited by CaroleSS

Save your tipping for times when the service you receive is exceptional. Don't tip routinely.

Tipping at meals in NZ may very well be appreciated, but it is not necessary. Everyone here gets a good minimum wage and nobody is dependent on tips for a living. Management sometimes adds a "Service charge". That's not compulsory either, except for additional costs on public holidays.

Some smaller cafes and restaurants have a tip jar on the counter - it's a good way to get rid of unwanted small change, but you don't have to put anything in it.

For the most part, here downunder, a smile and a "Thank you" are sufficient.

Edited by celle

Save your tipping for times when the service you receive is exceptional. Don't tip routinely.

Tipping at meals in NZ may very well be appreciated, but it is not necessary. Everyone here gets a good minimum wage and nobody is dependent on tips for a living. Management sometimes adds a "Service charge". That's not compulsory either, except for additional costs on public holidays.

Some smaller cafes and restaurants have a tip jar on the counter - it's a good way to get rid of unwanted small change, but you don't have to put anything in it.

For the most part, here downunder, a smile and a "Thank you" are sufficient.

Maybe we need to send the Por of Miami baggage handlers don under for some training!

Yes, please don't tip in Australia or NZ. We really don't want our culture to change. Plus we give great wages to the workers. Thanks!

We were in Australia last month and did tip sometinmes. Had a wonderful cruises to Singapore.

We had tablemates from Australia who only came to dinner 4 nights on a 17 day cruise. The problem was there was 3 of us and 5 of them. So we set at a large table almost every night by ourselves.

And yes, they did not change the culture. They removed all tips for their account (they told us). The poor waiters and room attendent got nothing. Celebrity cruises is Not a Autralia cruise line. And the servers are NOT paid great wages.

We always think of the tips as part of the price of the cruises

Hi

With taxis we generally round it up to the next dollar to eliminate the change issue

Private drivers depends on the service if its exceptional maybe $10.oo

Not sure abour tour guides I have never used one at home

Wait staff depends on the service but in a good high end table service resturant maybe $10.00

tTps are really based on service here rather than a fixed fee as the average hourly rate is higher

I know that when eating out USA style tipping isn't the norm. How about tips for tour guides, taxi, private car services etc?

At restaurants I usually round up to the nearest five or zero dollar amount. Taxi drivers aren't paid all that well and I usually give them a couple of dollars. I don't tip Aussie porters. I leave auto tips on. I leave a tip for Aussie based cruises where there are no tips added. I never tip in cafes etc.

For Aussie tours - not sure. It would depend on genuine service and wouldn't be automatic at all.