Accessible cabin question

I'm new here and have a question. If anyone could assist, I would appreciate it.

We are booked for Navigator of the Seas in March in cabin 6600. My DH needs a wheelchair for longer distances or even almost all the time if his knees and hip are acting up. It looks like there will be plenty of room in the cabin to move around, but I can't tell if there is a sofa/loveseat for comfortable seating. I am also concerned about whether or not there is a lip to get out to the balcony and if there is really enough room out there for both a wheelchair and me! This is the first time we booked an accessible cabin, as the last time(our first cruise), none were available and we thought we could make due. It was really tough, since his knees and hip decided to act up during the cruise and he was in the chair more than we thought. Any insight would be great.

Welcome to cruise critic and the rccl board. We are a good group of people :) I can't answer your question, but I may need that type of room as well for my sister. Hopefully someone else will chime in. You can also go on the internet and find pictures or videos of the stateroom. List your ship and type of room and usually you will get that information. Usually w/in minutes someone on our board will have an answer for you if we/they can answer :)

We were assigned an accessible balcony stateroom on a Radiance class ship, and there was an incline ramp out to the balcony- no lip. I'm not sure what size balcony you will have, but ours (non-suite) had two regular chairs. In my opinion, I believe you could fit a w/c out there and one regular chair.

You may find some helpful info on the Disabled Cruise Travel forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190. Enjoy your cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to find out the same info. We need an accessible cabin for three people. My son is in a wheelchair. We sailed on a freedom class ship in an accessible balcony cabin, and it had a full size pull out sofa. Then we sailed Oasis and were told there was a full size sofa, but it was just a single chair, that did not work for us. Want to know for sure what is in the accessible cabin on Navigator before we book, and don't trust the reps for the correct info. I want a picture and review. If you find out please post. Thanks

I'm trying to find out the same info. We need an accessible cabin for three people. My son is in a wheelchair. We sailed on a freedom class ship in an accessible balcony cabin, and it had a full size pull out sofa. Then we sailed Oasis and were told there was a full size sofa, but it was just a single chair, that did not work for us. Want to know for sure what is in the accessible cabin on Navigator before we book, and don't trust the reps for the correct info. I want a picture and review. If you find out please post. Thanks

Not all accessible cabins can accommodate a 3rd person. Did you check RCCL's website ? The decks plans denote which accessible cabins can accommodate a 3rd person and whether it contains a sofa bed or Pullman bed. Go to the deck/cabin number of interest. If it has a triangle shaped Icon next to the cabin number than the room has a sofa bed.

Edited by xxoocruiser

My DW and I went on Mariner last April, same class as NOS, and had a handicapped balcony, 6300. It is only a couple of sq/ft smaller than a JS and had plenty of room for her chair. The balcony had a small fold down lip to cover the track from the balcony door. The shower had no lip, big enough for a wheelchair, and a curtain that enclosed it into the corner of the bathroom. Shower also has fold-down seat in it. The closet had a nice hanging clothes bar that would cantilever down to about 3 feet high from the floor. Lots of shelves and room under the bed. We are going on NOS in 9 weeks and are in the same cabin on that ship. Like the balcony cabins due to the location on the ship. We like mid-ship cabins. Most of the interior accessible cabins are front or back, but they do offer a few mid-ship. AX exterior cabins with no balcony are mostly in the very front of the ship. Most of the time, the balcony is only a little bit more money than the inside cabin if you book a year out from the cruise. Ask your dining host to get you accessible seating on an isle in the MDR and it will be easier for you. Be prepared for rude people to not yield to a wheelchair when waiting for an elevator. Get to the shows early to get an easily accessible seat in the theatre. Staff will also help navigate the Windjammer by pushing wheelchair for you to help you get food choices. Tip those folks that help. Hope all of this helps you some.

I'm new here and have a question. If anyone could assist, I would appreciate it.

We are booked for Navigator of the Seas in March in cabin 6600. My DH needs a wheelchair for longer distances or even almost all the time if his knees and hip are acting up. It looks like there will be plenty of room in the cabin to move around, but I can't tell if there is a sofa/loveseat for comfortable seating. I am also concerned about whether or not there is a lip to get out to the balcony and if there is really enough room out there for both a wheelchair and me! This is the first time we booked an accessible cabin, as the last time(our first cruise), none were available and we thought we could make due. It was really tough, since his knees and hip decided to act up during the cruise and he was in the chair more than we thought. Any insight would be great.

Hi yes there is a sofa, and there is a ramp to the balcony all very easy and plenty of room, here are some photos from cabin 7600 just above your cabin on the Adventure of the seas same class of ship

5aje8ejy.jpg3ezybu8u.jpg

5e4uzepe.jpg5a6ujyry.jpg

Edited by Jason12

I remember your thread about that single chair sleeper instead of the full size sofa. That was horrible that they misrepresented what was in the cabin. There is a notation on the deckplans now, hopefully they actually know which cabins have what so no one has to go through what your family did.

I also remember seeing your thread concerning the inconvenience you had. I did read this on the Navigator refit thread which is from someone who is working on the ship.

"All cabins I've seen are pretty standard in appearance, just a couch instead of a chair in the balcony ones on the upper decks that I've noticed."

If you haven't seen that thread, it is very interesting. Dave and his wife Amy have been posting pictures of the refurbishment. It is very interesting. This is the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1968301

Hope everything works out wonderfully for you this time. Have a great cruise!

Thanks Y'all (can you tell I'm from Texas?). The deck plan shows this one is only for two. That's fine for this trip. Just want to make sure there is somewhere comfy for us to sit other than the bed. It sounds like this one will work well for this trip. I have another one booked later this year with three, and that one has a sofa bed. But it's for my DD that is only 14 and can sleep anywhere, so I'm sure that will be fine. I'll post pictures after the trip, so we can all be sure it matches the ones posted (thanks for those, it helps me visualize!)

Not all accessible cabins can accommodate a 3rd person. Did you check RCCL's website ? The decks plans denote which accessible cabins can accommodate a 3rd person and whether it contains a sofa bed or Pullman bed. Go to the deck/cabin number of interest. If it has a triangle shaped Icon next to the cabin number than the room has a sofa bed.

Thanks, Yes I've been to all the deck plans for EVERY RCCL ship. I have talked to a rep as well. Here is the confusion. On the deck plans all the accessible BALCONY cabins show a maximum occupancy of 2, however we we're on Freedom a few years ago, and had a full size pull out sofa bed that worked perfect. So unless they have redone and removed the sofa I know they have one. The sad part is I talked to a rep today and she said that RCCL has NO handicap Balcony cabins to fit our needs (three people on the floor, not a pullman, in a bed) in their entire fleet!! So our only option if we want a balcony cabin is to pay for a suite. How can this be??We have had an accessible cabin before. Does the rep not know what she is talking about? Or could it actually be possible that the entire RCCL fleet can not accommodate us? Calling the special needs department on Monday. We spend A LOT of time in our cabin because of my sons illness, and he really wants to see the ocean from our balcony.

Hi yes there is a sofa, and there is a ramp to the balcony all very easy and plenty of room, here are some photos from cabin 7600 just above your cabin on the Adventure of the seas same class of ship

5aje8ejy.jpg3ezybu8u.jpg

5e4uzepe.jpg5a6ujyry.jpg

But did the sofa pull out? Thanks

I remember your thread about that single chair sleeper instead of the full size sofa. That was horrible that they misrepresented what was in the cabin. There is a notation on the deckplans now, hopefully they actually know which cabins have what so no one has to go through what your family did.

Thank you! Yes that little notation on the deck plans was because of our situation, so I am happy that they followed through. Unfortunately, It is not looking good for us to get the accommodations that we are looking for. The rep still couldn't tell me what the ships had in their rooms. She said to contact special needs department. When I asked her why a fleet as large as RCCL didn't have an accessible balcony cabin for three people, she said that they couldn't possibly have an HC cabin in every category. I ask why not, and her response was, If she could tell me that she would be an engineer instead of in a call center...OK WOW

I also remember seeing your thread concerning the inconvenience you had. I did read this on the Navigator refit thread which is from someone who is working on the ship.

"All cabins I've seen are pretty standard in appearance, just a couch instead of a chair in the balcony ones on the upper decks that I've noticed."

If you haven't seen that thread, it is very interesting. Dave and his wife Amy have been posting pictures of the refurbishment. It is very interesting. This is the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1968301

Hope everything works out wonderfully for you this time. Have a great cruise!

Thanks so much, I'll check it out.

Thanks Y'all (can you tell I'm from Texas?). The deck plan shows this one is only for two. That's fine for this trip. Just want to make sure there is somewhere comfy for us to sit other than the bed. It sounds like this one will work well for this trip. I have another one booked later this year with three, and that one has a sofa bed. But it's for my DD that is only 14 and can sleep anywhere, so I'm sure that will be fine. I'll post pictures after the trip, so we can all be sure it matches the ones posted (thanks for those, it helps me visualize!)

I'm so happy that you found the info you needed and it all works well for you! So sorry to hijack your thread:) I hope you have an amazing vacation, and yes please come back and post some pictures for us, and tell us how it went. Happy sailing!

I'm so happy that you found the info you needed and it all works well for you! So sorry to hijack your thread:) I hope you have an amazing vacation, and yes please come back and post some pictures for us, and tell us how it went. Happy sailing!

Try not to get upset and frustrated. From what I have seen on here the workers at the call center do not have a lot of knowledge about specifics of the ship. Hopefully the special needs department will be able to help you. I hope you are able to find what you need for your family.

Try not to get upset and frustrated. From what I have seen on here the workers at the call center do not have a lot of knowledge about specifics of the ship. Hopefully the special needs department will be able to help you. I hope you are able to find what you need for your family.

Thanks, Stay calm and carry on...Right:)