Can help with Ålesund & Norwegian Fjords:-)

I-Cruiser

Ålesund is very small and compact town so to explore the town will take 1,5 - 2 hours. To walk from town up the steps will take 20 minutes with stops.

Of course it depends on how fast you walk and how often you take breaks.

I am not sure if you can take the "train" from the viewpoint to town but for sure you can take the "train" up and walk down. Walking down would be the easiest.

Thanks for that. I think you are right when you say walking down will be easier. I assume the 'train' is easy to find.

Yes, the "train" starts from the cruise pier.

Here is a link the train with route etc:

http://www.bytoget.no/home.html

Once again thank you for your help. I think we will now do the train round trip.. this means th a t we will probably have the afternoon free. Any suggestions on what to see. Not sure how long we will have as I've yet to check how long we are in Alesund.

Once again thank you for your help. I think we will now do the train round trip.. this means th a t we will probably have the afternoon free. Any suggestions on what to see. Not sure how long we will have as I've yet to check how long we are in Alesund.

You are welcome - I am happy to help you:)

Since you are taking the train in the morning I would suggest to spend some more time at Apotekergaten/Moloveien/Brosundet (You will know where it is when you look at the route of the train. Moloveien is by the lighthouse) Also, you could visit the Ålesund church and/or the Jungend Senter.

All the roads and places are next to each other and easy to walk from the ship.

I came across this article and wanted to share it with you all.

The site is only in Norwegian but the pictures are nice:D

The waterfall walk starts from either the Hotel Union or the Fjord senter and follows the waterfall/river down to Geiranger.

There are 327 steps and as you see from the pictures the walk looks amazing. I can not wait to do the walk myself.

The walk will take approx 30 minutes.

http://www.visitmr.com/fossevandring-geiranger

Do you have to pay admission to do the walk, or is it free? Thanks!

@ I-Cruiser. How is the weather in July?

Thanks

Well, who knows :D Usually May and June is nice and sunny. July can be very rainy but who knows....So far this spring/summer has been fantastic so fingers crossed its keeps up like this.

Today.....right now....:

http://kamera.smp.no/services/kamera/default.aspx?menu=1&submenu=1&type=1

I-Cruiser:

In Ålesund what do you recommend for light, quick bites of local food? Not full meals but snacks, take out type stuff but local. Will be there in about 2 weeks if that matters. Anything that shouldn't be missed or that is not found elsewhere?

Same for Geiranger, Stavanger, Bergan, Molde?

Thanks.

I-Cruiser:

In Ålesund what do you recommend for light, quick bites of local food? Not full meals but snacks, take out type stuff but local. Will be there in about 2 weeks if that matters. Anything that shouldn't be missed or that is not found elsewhere?

Same for Geiranger, Stavanger, Bergan, Molde?

Thanks.

There are many good places to eat but no local take away snacks. Traditional food is very much a sit down thing.

You might be able to find this in Stavanger and Bergen.

In Geiranger there is an excellent bistro serving local food but again its a sit down affair.

In Ålesund there is a place selling fish&chips. Not very Norwegian but the fish might be. On Occasions there are small fishing boats docked in Brosundet selling prawns. You would have to peal them yourself, get a loaf of bread from the baker and condiments from the grocery shop but it would make for a nice picnick.

If you want to have a sit down lunch with local flavors your have lots of options. Many restaurants combine local flavors in their cooking making a delicious fusion of tastes.

In Ålesund you have Anno, Invit, Lets eat Deli to mention a few.

In Geiranger Brasserie Posten is the place to eat.

I am not sure about Bergen and Stavanger but they both have local markets where you can purchase food.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Lars, Hello again. We will rent a car in Alesund and do the loop you recommend here but we are doing it in the reverse. My question; is there any benefit (scenery or point of interest wise) to go back through Strand and Sykkylven rather than continuing on 650? Thanks in advance. -- Scott

Scott - I am glad you are going to do the tour. It will be a great day for sure. Please come back and tell us how your day was.

You may do Stranda and Sykkylven. It will mean 2 ferries (Extra cost of a few hundred NOK) Scenery wise it will not make a difference at all. The nature will be lovely but more so doing the circle. Stranda/Sykkylven are just 2 small sleepy villages with no real points of interest.

Sykkylven is a huge producer of furniture and the larges (low cost) pizza factory in Norway is in Stranda.

The only thing Stranda has got going is a fantastic shop called "Matbuda". The shop sells beer/food from small local producers. A must for foodies.:)

Lars, I knew asking you would uncover something more for us. Thanks. We'll be doing the 650 loop but will take a side trip to Matbuda! I know it means 2 ferry rides but it's the sort of thing we love doing. My wife's family (fathers side) is from Norway. Her Grandmother took her back when she was in high school. I think they were from Oslo but not sure. Thanks again. - Scott

Lars, I knew asking you would uncover something more for us. Thanks. We'll be doing the 650 loop but will take a side trip to Matbuda! I know it means 2 ferry rides but it's the sort of thing we love doing. My wife's family (fathers side) is from Norway. Her Grandmother took her back when she was in high school. I think they were from Oslo but not sure. Thanks again. - Scott

You are welcome.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.matbuda.no/

I love this sort of things too. Local niche producers are a favorite of mine. You will be able to sample/purchase some really high quality food.

Lars, my wife says her Grandmother was from a small community in the mountains near farsund.

Also I wanted to tell you that we live in Connecticut which is between NYC and Boston. (I assume that would be for your New England cruise in Oct of next year). If I can be of any help to you for that please let me know. -- Scott

Lars, my wife says her Grandmother was from a small community in the mountains near farsund.

Also I wanted to tell you that we live in Connecticut which is between NYC and Boston. (I assume that would be for your New England cruise in Oct of next year). If I can be of any help to you for that please let me know. -- Scott

Farsund - southern Norway. The southern part of Norway is very quaint. I love it there. You should try to make a visit.

Thank you so much for the offer of helping with the NE area. NE is my favorite area in the US.

Matbuda - is open from 10 am - 5 pm Monday-Friday. They are also open Saturdays and sometimes on Sunday (during the summer season)

I will post back when I get a response regarding weekend opening times.

Lars

Quick Geiranger question: we don't want to prebook anything due to wx (we are going on the last HAL sailing of the season): is the bus they run to Eagle's Nest and the other lookout easily available for walkups? We are the only ship in town that day.

Also Lars that walk looks great but it seems you need to drive to get there, am I correct it isn't accessible w/ out private transit there?

Quick Geiranger question: we don't want to prebook anything due to wx (we are going on the last HAL sailing of the season): is the bus they run to Eagle's Nest and the other lookout easily available for walkups? We are the only ship in town that day.

Also Lars that walk looks great but it seems you need to drive to get there, am I correct it isn't accessible w/ out private transit there?

Since you are the only ship in town you can purchase your ticket on the day.

As with anything last minute you might experience long queues for getting the tickets. I would try to get of the ship early and me among the first in line:)

You do not need to drive to start the "waterfall/river walk". You can easily walk to the "beginning"/"start" of the waterfall/river walk. From the center of Geiranger you walk up toward the church and the Union Hotel. It is all uphill so you can do this in 10 minutes. (if you are able to walk uphill and on uneven surfaces)

Since you are the only ship in town you can purchase your ticket on the day.

As with anything last minute you might experience long queues for getting the tickets. I would try to get of the ship early and me among the first in line:)

You do not need to drive to start the "waterfall/river walk". You can easily walk to the "beginning"/"start" of the waterfall/river walk. From the center of Geiranger you walk up toward the church and the Union Hotel. It is all uphill so you can do this in 10 minutes. (if you are able to walk uphill and on uneven surfaces)

Thanks! Walking amongst the rapids or whatever looks great. :)

Thank you I-Cruiser for all of the great information you have provided on this thread. You have inspired us to rent a car and take the Path of the Trolls loop. I have a reservation with Budget. I understand that they are at or very near to a gas station. My question is - when we return the car and need to fill up with gas, what form of payment do they accept? American credit cards? We are not planning on obtaining any local currency. Also, if the gas station is self service, are we going to be able to figure out how to use the gas pump? Thank you in advance for your response and again for all of the great info. on this thread.

Lars,

I have a debit card that doesn't charge any fees for foreign atm use but what are the fees charged there for using the machines. If you know, that is. Thanks. -- Scott

Not sure if the local banks charges a fee for foreign cards. Maybe someone who has used a Norwegian bank could reply with the answer:)

Thank you I-Cruiser for all of the great information you have provided on this thread. You have inspired us to rent a car and take the Path of the Trolls loop. I have a reservation with Budget. I understand that they are at or very near to a gas station. My question is - when we return the car and need to fill up with gas, what form of payment do they accept? American credit cards? We are not planning on obtaining any local currency. Also, if the gas station is self service, are we going to be able to figure out how to use the gas pump? Thank you in advance for your response and again for all of the great info. on this thread.

I am very happy to have inspired you to do such a wonderful trip. Your kind words sure makes the time spent here worthwhile.

There is a petrol station in the same building/place as where you will pick up your car.

You choose if you want to pay with a card at the pump or pay at the counter.

As long as you know what kind of petrol the car uses it will be easy to fill up the car just make sure you ask at the car rental office.

All petrol stations/pumps have a huge round bottom for each petrol type. just press the button and start filling (after you have inserted your card+pin at the paypoint... if you choose to pay at the pump)

Paying with credit cards are no problem anywhere and it does not matter how small the amount is. I often pay with card for amounts less than $1,-.

I would re check at the car rental office/petrol station as most cards have a chip and pin but it is possible to use cards without a chip but with a pin.

Enjoy your drive:)