Galveston - Early Flight - Any Insight Please?

susieon

I have a bit of a dilemma.

I will be cruising on the Triumph out of Galveston, August 2 - August 7, with my daughter and niece (both 16).

We need to be back in the Boston area by 6 ish the night if the 7th (for the girls to attend a concert that evening).

The best flight out I can find leaves from Hobby at 10:40 AM

Does anyone have any experience with disembarkation in Galveston and is it at all feasible we could make this early fight?

I am hoping that as we get closer there will be more flights available but am looking at my options at this time.

Any input will be appreciated.

That's cutting it close. It's not unusual for ships too arrive late in Galveston because of fog but more likely in the cooler months. Then you have traffic to consider. You'll need to be off the ship asap and hope for no delays due to weather, traffic, slow customs, etc.

Your situation could easily be stressful and that's not the way to end a great vacation.

August 7th is a Thursday. Fog in August is usually not a problem but traffic along I-45 can be a bear. There is major construction along that highway that is slated to last for over a year. To make it you would have to fly out of Hobby not IAH and get off the ship first.

On paper possible....in reality no.

You have to get off the ship, clear customs, locate your transportation to the airport, make the transit to airport, check in at airport, clear security and make it to gate before boarding.

Possible/Probable issues.

-Late arriving due to fog

-Slow customs.

-Traffic on the way to airport.

-Long lines at airport for check in and security.

-With no major traffic issues it is in reality 45-60 transit time to Hobby, so you really don't have much extra time to begin with.

If you were leaving from IAH there is no way you'd make it, HOU it's possible if EVERYTHING goes perfect. Question is are you willing to take that chance.

Edited by TruckerDave

We were at our car by 8:10 this last time, we are platinum, carry our luggage off, were lined up early & walked across the street to our car. In October it was close to 9:00.

IF you carry luggage off, have FTTF or are platinum & have a car waiting, you might make it but that's a lot of ifs.

I wouldn't risk it...

OK...you guys are scaring me now. :( I am sailing Magic in April. My flight leaves at 12:30 out of IAH. Am I also risking it??

You should be fine, but don't waste any time disembarking the ship because if it's a weekday you will be in MAJOR traffic trying to get around downtown Houston to get to the airport.

As for the OP with a 10:40 flight on a Thursday........I wouldn't even consider it.......if it was a Saturday I might, but not during the week..........

And now all guests disembarking in Galveston not only have to clear customs but then they have to clear Texas Alcohol Commission checkpoint.

We were at our car by 8:10 this last time, we are platinum, carry our luggage off, were lined up early & walked across the street to our car. In October it was close to 9:00.

IF you carry luggage off, have FTTF or are platinum & have a car waiting, you might make it but that's a lot of ifs.

I wouldn't risk it...

We had FTTF in September and group #1 to get off the ship. We didn't get off until 9:00 and didn't get on I45 South until 10:10. We made note of the time because we had until Noon to pick up our dogs before paying for an extra day.

Granted we weren't in any great hurry and were finishing breakfast at the Blue Iguana Burrito Bar when they made the call for the #1 group. There were still a lot of self debarking passengers with loads of luggage in line with us.

They called for the self debarking group about 30 minutes before they called for the #1 group.

I will be cruising on the Triumph out of Galveston, August 2 - August 7, with my daughter and niece (both 16).

The best flight out I can find leaves from Hobby at 10:40 AM

Does anyone have any experience with disembarkation in Galveston and is it at all feasible we could make this early fight?

You've read the other posts by now, and for my two cents the answer is yes.

Some logistics, we live in the Clear Lake area and have cruised 18 times from Galveston, with about half of those being weekday returns. In half of those we were home before 10am.

Here's the steps you'd need to make this work:

• Have someone at home check you in ahead of time
  • If you are on Southwest pay the $10 for early check-in
  • Self-assist is a must for debarkation, girls carry tons of junk, warn them
  • Passports are a must, the lines are shorter
  • Get a porter, they get you through the lines faster (subjective, but observed)
  • Purchase FTTF. You debark with the Platinum crowd. They did with us in December
  • If you drive use the City of Galveston lots or one you can walk to. Faster.

Once on the freeway head to Houston. At the Bay Area Blvd exit get off the freeway. Keep moving over to the left lane and merge back on at the ramp just past El Dorado Blvd, before Clear Lake City Blvd. (wave at me)

Take the Airport Blvd exit (past Edgebrook) and get in the middle lane. The left one slows down. If you speed on Airport Blvd, you make a donation to my city. I see it twice a week.

Use the Check Bags only line at the airport and they will print your boarding passes, as you are already checked in.

We walked off the Triumph ahead/with of the FTTF folks on 12/30 and I caught the bus to the lot, returned to get my family and was home and suitcases unpacked by 10:00am.

Be ready to spend some time in the terminal once you miss you flight. Princess Hamburgers are good, and they have free wifi.

Edited by BallFour4

Thanks for all the feed back.

It's as I feared.

I have a couple of options open at this point.

I will wait to see the Southwest flights when they become available and hope that the times are better. If not, then I will try to trade my Thursday night show tix to someone who has tix for the Friday night show. If nothing works out I will have to sell my tix and skip attending the concert. The girls will not be pleased but the cruise is for a family wedding so we are married to that date (no pun intended).