Formal night on Celebration .

Well I have spent the afternoon packing for our cruise next week and the baggage allowance is tight for 2 weeks away. Given the recent reviews I am not inclined to waste baggage space on formal outfits for a mediocre meal in the MDR (And having attended 80+ captains nights over the years would not miss this much either).

Has anyone skipped the formal night and just eaten in the buffet. What was it like and did you feel out of place in the bars or theatre etc?

From the perspective of those who do dress up would you be offended by someone in smart casual in the bar areas on formal night (we would obviously avoid the MDR as not dressed).

yep, I have done this many times and no i didnt feel at all out of place there wil be many others doing likewise

I only take my dj if we are celebrating something (christmas/birthdays etc)

the only place I would feel a little underdressed is in the mdr where there will be a large turnout of dj's on formal night (but a few smart casuals too...jacket/shirt & tie) smart casual is the code in mdr and acceptable even on formal night, it really is up to you....the only restriction is no shorts/vests/flip flops/sportswear in mdr in evenings

and no I am not offended by smart casual in the bars at all, at any time...in fact many change out of their suits (into something more comfortable) after formal night dinner anyway

We were on Dream in September and took our gladrags. However, we were given the first sitting for dinner on formal night which meant having to be ready for 5.30 to eat at 6.30 - much too early for us so we decided to give it a miss this time. We dressed smart casual and ate in the Lido buffet. The food was good and we noticed quite lot of others dressed and doing the same. We went in the bars later and it was fine, we have noticed lately that many people get changed as soon as they have been in the MDR - can't really see the point if everyone is going to do this.

eating in the lido buffet dressed smart casual will be fine. The crew put their posh uniforms on and the tables are set with 'candles' etc. very civilised. You will also be welcome in any of the bars etc in the evening.

We have eaten in the buffet which was quite busy and on Majesty we ate in the Bistro on Captain's night. It was almost empty! We did not feel out of place at all in the bars afterwards. We also object to having to struggle to stay within the weight limit especially on a two week cruise.

Well I have spent the afternoon packing for our cruise next week and the baggage allowance is tight for 2 weeks away. Given the recent reviews I am not inclined to waste baggage space on formal outfits for a mediocre meal in the MDR (And having attended 80+ captains nights over the years would not miss this much either).

Has anyone skipped the formal night and just eaten in the buffet. What was it like and did you feel out of place in the bars or theatre etc?

From the perspective of those who do dress up would you be offended by someone in smart casual in the bar areas on formal night (we would obviously avoid the MDR as not dressed).

Hi Eglsbrech, we've just returned after two weeks on the Celebration. The formal night is on Sunday heading to Funchal, we did not go to any of the formal nights, we were invited to join the hotel manger at her table on New Years eve as a thank you for being a regular customer but declined that aswell. We ate in the buffet those nights and went to the shows aswell. We dressed smart casual most nights, the meals in the buffet were fine plenty of choice to choose from. The shows were fabulous as usual not to be missed. Hope this helps.

Hi Eglesbrech, Have done s few cruises nowand no longer bother meeting Captain. We still go formal, down to restaurant for meal, late sitting and find this ok. When given our sitting time slip we always change to late sitting,this is our preference. Sometimes take tie and jacket off afterwards,depending on where we are and how others are dressed.

Celebration 28th Feb,two weeks,

SHELLSAILOR:):):)