Disney vs. Royal Caribbean

Cruiser0721

I get that, but I don't consider the Dream to be a mega ship. She is Large, no doubt, and I love that ship. But I was talking about the mega ships as in Oasis class and Quantum class ships. Another poster wrote that they are not crowded but I disagree. Don't get me wrong, I like RCCL and they are my second favorite line, and they have a lot to offer. But IMO these type of ship are built to bring on the masses. When it comes to RCCL, I prefer the Voyager class (not much bigger than the Disney Dream) and when it comes to NCL, I prefer the Jewel class (not much bigger than the Disney Magic). The Breakaway is not a whole lot bigger and I have not sailed on her, but friends of mine complained that she was very crowded and that the public spaces were not big enough to handle it. I have been on the Epic and found her too crowded. I guess it all comes down to what we as individuals find comfortable.

I'll bet if there was an emergency requiring everyone to get off quickly, the people who claim those mega ships aren't crowded would change their minds. Quickly.

I'll bet if there was an emergency requiring everyone to get off quickly, the people who claim those mega ships aren't crowded would change their minds. Quickly.

Yet, even on the Gauguin with a Guest to Crew ratio of 1:1.5, only has 1 Doctor and 1 Nurse aboard. Surprising when any one of them may be ashore on an excursion, and given the age of the average cruiser on that line.....

ex techie

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't read all of this but the o e thing I noticed is that no one talked price. I was looking and the same cruise was almost doubble if not more on Disney. This is why I pick rc. I haven't sailed yet bu\ I did save enough to do all my shore and more . pay for a drink package. Get some hotels in fl and do ail there before we go so I have stretched my money way farther on rc.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

I haven't read all of this but the o e thing I noticed is that no one talked price. I was looking and the same cruise was almost doubble if not more on Disney. This is why I pick rc. I haven't sailed yet bu\ I did save enough to do all my shore and more . pay for a drink package. Get some hotels in fl and do ail there before we go so I have stretched my money way farther on rc.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

We have a vacation budget and as long as we aren't over it, we don't really care about the cost of one cruise over another--the money is there to spend. I imagine most people work it that way, other than shopping for a vacation and then trying to put it into the budget.

We have a vacation budget and as long as we aren't over it, we don't really care about the cost of one cruise over another--the money is there to spend. I imagine most people work it that way, other than shopping for a vacation and then trying to put it into the budget.

The reality is that most people have a tight budget for just the everyday things. Rent/house payment, utilities, food, clothing......and there isn't much, if any, room in that budget for a vacation category.

It's a good thing that there are plenty of choices for everyone, because not everyone is lucky enough to "not care what the cost is".

I don't think most people do it the way you do. I'd say most of us have a vacation budget, as you mentioned. However, the way MOST of us do it is figuring out how to get the biggest bang for our budgeted buck.

For example, DH and I are cruising in September. We knew we wanted a cruise but weren't too picky about where as long as we didn't have to fly to Europe (can't leave the kids alone that long). Let's say, for arguments sake, that our budget for the week is $4,000.

DCL Fantasy Sept 6, interior 11B - $ 2,564.30

SW Flights from ATL to MCO (for two) - $ 444.00

Money for cruise (shore ex, dining, etc.) - $1,000.00

Total so far - $ 4,008.30

NCL Breakaway Sept 7, interior GTY - $ 1,400.06

SW Flights from ATL to LGA (for two) - $ 564.00

Money for cruise (shore ex, dining, etc.) - $1,000.00

Total so far - $ 2,964.06

So, with DCL, I'm already over budget and I haven't paid for transportation from MCO to Port Canaveral, I haven't paid for any pre-cruise lodging or food so I have to fly in the morning of the cruise.

With NCL, I can still stay in NYC two nights prior to my cruise and sightsee, go to the original Palm for dinner, etc.

Most people want to make the most of their money. This isn't a Nordstrom to Target comparison; I'm not trading in a 7 day DCL Fantasy cruise in the Caribbean for a 3 day NCL Sun cruise to the Bahamas. I'll be on Norwegian's newest ship with all the bells and whistles, and we're going to Bermuda with a couple of days in NYC added on. I think I'm getting the better deal situation wise and money wise.

The way we budge it like this. If we are planning a cruise which is not a disney cruise, I look for the biggest bang for my buck, since the budget is not that big. When we decide that we will do disney next year then I budget for a disney cruise knowing it will cost a lot more, but that is fine because the disney experience is what we are after. I give my self more time to save. I never struggle to decide whether we should cruise disney or another cruise line. When we want to do disney, then disney it is. When it is a non-disney cruise, then I usually compare RCCL and NCL which are close in price, but it depends on the itineray, ship that can make a difference. Air travel and a pre-cruise hotel would be the same if leaving from the same departure port.

Edited by Irene7

• 11 months later...

anyone still on this thread? We just booked liberty of the seas RCCL and all I can think of is 'should we stick with Disney cruises?'... we sailed on Disney 2 times with our kids in the past and LOVED it... but thought we would try RCCL- kids will be 7 and 8. Will I miss my Disney boat?? and will I always be 'comparing'? Concerned mainly about 'entertainment' for all... thanks!

Don't worry you are still going on a cruise and I'm sure your whole family will have a great time. Of course you will be comparing it to Disney throughout your trip. You will miss some things from Disney, but you will enjoy some new experiences on RCCL.

My family has done both cruise lines and Carnival too. All were fun and all had their unique points. The entertainment on our RCCL cruise last summer was very good. The food on the buffet was very disappointing. The main dining room food would win last place for the 5 cruises I've been on so far. The staff was the least friendly I encountered so far. Also, housekeeping on the ship was not up to par. We were on the Freedom of the Sea which was one of the highest rated ships by Cruise Critic when I booked it.

We still had a great cruise, but if I compared it to Disney it wouldn't even be close. However, I think you should cruise on several lines to see what they offer. We are going on the Fantasy this Saturday because we think Disney does a great job of providing a wonderful experience. For the record when we sailed on the Disney Dream we were all in Awe for the entire experience. I can't say that with the other lines we have been on so far.

We cruise on Disney for a treat, because the cost when we need to vacation is so high compared to other lines for the same time frame. I normally like to spend around $5,000 for a weeks vacation and with a family of four it's almost impossible to that with our schedule with Disney. This trip will cost me about $6,200 with tips and insurance for one non balcony cabin. A similar trip on RCCL would be a whole lot less as you have found out.

That being said, no buddy beats the Disney Experience in my opinion. Relax you will have fun and please share your experience when you return. I will be posting a detailed report with comparisons when we get back from this cruise.

anyone still on this thread? We just booked liberty of the seas RCCL and all I can think of is 'should we stick with Disney cruises?'... we sailed on Disney 2 times with our kids in the past and LOVED it... but thought we would try RCCL- kids will be 7 and 8. Will I miss my Disney boat?? and will I always be 'comparing'? Concerned mainly about 'entertainment' for all... thanks!

Go for it! Disney Cruise Lines is our #1 favorite, however, we still have a good time on other lines. We cruised on the Explorer of the Seas last Oct and had a blast. Totally different than Disney so do not allow your self to compare. Enjoy it for the experience that RCCL gives you. Did we miss Disney? Sure, we always miss Disney but I also miss our cruise on the Explorer as well.:)

We were on freedom in oct with a 8 and 12 they loved it and so did we . We have never done disney. But we are now booked on oasis of the seas in feb and my kids cant wait . Thereis so much to do

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Love everyone's posts on the differences on the ships. We are doing our first Disney B2B cruise in January. I can't wait to experience the differences. It will combine my love of Disney and cruising.

I've sailed on RCL, Carnival and NCL. By far my favourite cruise line to date is RCL!!! My son loved the RCL kids camp. The entertainment was amazing! We liked our food and our room housekeeping experience (on all cruise lines) too notch. We decided to try Disney next winter and we are nervous it won't be as good as RCL. I think it you go in with an open mind you will enjoy yourselves!

I've sailed on RCL, Carnival and NCL. By far my favourite cruise line to date is RCL!!! My son loved the RCL kids camp. The entertainment was amazing! We liked our food and our room housekeeping experience (on all cruise lines) too notch. We decided to try Disney next winter and we are nervous it won't be as good as RCL. I think it you go in with an open mind you will enjoy yourselves!

Which Disney ship are you sailing? I myself think it is easier to compare the cruise lines that you have already sailed because although they have their differences, there are a lot of similarities. I have never cruised Carnival but between RCCL and NCL, I like RCCL more.

As far as Disney, we really love it the most but we are also a disney family and love everything disney. You will not be disappointed with the service and house keeping. Food is subjective so that is that. I agree, if you go with an open mind and not compare you will enjoy yourselves. Happy sailing!:)

Thanks! Before kids I was on RCCL 4 times and Princess 4... and loved them both. I'm just happy that someone cooks for me and makes my bed.. twice! And yes.. we booked because we got a superior balcony for about 2,000 less than our 'on sale' Disney ocean view! I'll miss the Disney shows but I'll survive... we love beaches and sitting by the pool. And the flow rider will be a fun new experience. :D

• 3 weeks later...

We are trying to decide between RCLs Harmony of the Sea and Disney's Magic for next summer in the Med. Two families with boys aged 11 and 12 at time of sailing. Both are very active, athletic kids. Am concerned that Disney might be too young for the boys. HOS is going to be a much bigger boat with more physical activities, but of course when you say "Disney" to the kids, they get all excited. I'm concerned that they may be disappointed - only because of their ages because it seems like the activities and meet and greets are probably more of interest to younger children. Cost coming in about the same (give or take $100) for a balcony on either. Ports are basically the same. Food - I'm confused - everyone has a different opinion, so I guess it probably shouldn't be a factor. Has anyone had experience on Disney with this age of child? Thoughts??

We are trying to decide between RCLs Harmony of the Sea and Disney's Magic for next summer in the Med. Two families with boys aged 11 and 12 at time of sailing. Both are very active, athletic kids. Am concerned that Disney might be too young for the boys. HOS is going to be a much bigger boat with more physical activities, but of course when you say "Disney" to the kids, they get all excited. I'm concerned that they may be disappointed - only because of their ages because it seems like the activities and meet and greets are probably more of interest to younger children. Cost coming in about the same (give or take $100) for a balcony on either. Ports are basically the same. Food - I'm confused - everyone has a different opinion, so I guess it probably shouldn't be a factor. Has anyone had experience on Disney with this age of child? Thoughts??

It may not be the popular opinion on this board but I'd go with the Harmony. A brand new ship with insane bells and whistles that would probably engage your boys so much of the day would be my first choice over a re-imagined ship that is more than 10 years old. Especially for a Port intensive cruise like the in the Med. You'll have limited amount of time on the ship, you may not have time to do everything you'll want to do on the ship.

Edited by meatloafsfan

We priced 7 day E Carib cruises over our spring break next year. A balcony stateroom on the Fantasy is $6,400 for our family of 3. A balcony stateroom on the FOS is $3,200. We love DCL and have averaged about two cruises a year for the past several years (usually do a 7 day over spring break and a shorter one sometime in the fall). It is a great line and really meets our family's needs (especially our sons!) But honestly, is it really $3,200 better? As has been widely discussed here, DCL has been sharply raising their prices over certain peak times. The same category that we just sailed on the Fantasy this past March is now $1,500 more for the same week next year. So needless to say, we are now looking for other options for our spring break trips - RCL is definitely an option now so I really appreciate this thread.

Some of these Spring Break cruises on DCL are Star Wars themed. Not sure if the week you picked is to compare to the FOS. We will be on the Magic for our 2016 Spring Break cruise because it was almost $2000 less due to Star Wars week on the Fantasy for that same week.

Edited by 100Happy
added more

Yes, we've done DCL with kid that age. At 11 and 12, your kids can choose between the Oceaneer's Lab (up to age 12 group) and Edge (11-14 group). But you are right--the Magic is not a heavily physical ship. There is a sports deck with equipment for various activities, and of course the water slide. No climbing wall, ice skating, or what have you. Decide what you want out of a Med cruise--for us, the ports were the draw. We climbed Vesuvius, traipsed around enough ruins to last a lifetime (Ephesus was the best), etc. We were there less for the ship than for the ports.......BUT if you are seeing $100 difference between lines, Royal will likely cost you more because they have more things not included in the base fare. You'll pay for a soda package, possibly upcharge restaurants, etc.

Edited by moki'smommy