Rhapsody - Deck 8 cabins noisy?

HPSOV

Hi All,

I have booked 8028 on Rhapsody as they had JS for the same price as balcony cabins. I have now noticed it is directly under the pool area, and have found a few posts relating to noise in these cabins. Has anyone had any experience?

I'm not so worried about daytime noise, as I won't spent that much time in the cabin. Its more about sleeping, I am a light sleeper and don't want to be up all night. I often wear earplugs while I sleep, and am happy to do so, but there are comments about scraping pool chairs etc which I imagine earplugs might not block out. Can anyone put my fears to rest, or should I be trying for a balcony on deck 7? (I am kinda excited about the junior suite though!)

Hi All,

I often wear earplugs while I sleep, and am happy to do so, but there are comments about scraping pool chairs etc which I imagine earplugs might not block out. Can anyone put my fears to rest, or should I be trying for a balcony on deck 7? (I am kinda excited about the junior suite though!)

My dad complained about the staff scraping the deck of the Rhapsody when they packed up the chairs and set them up again.

It is totally beyond my comprehension why they put the best cabins in some of the noisiest places. In saying that though, we were in cabin on Rhapsody right under the Park Café when it used to be the Solarium Café before the refit. They had steel chairs on a tiled floor and the café was open 20 hours a day. We were directly under a table for 8. Then they cleaned when it was closed, scrapping the chairs around. People that came to our room could not believe the continual noise. The people 2 doors up from us never had an issue as they were right under the actual food prep/servery area.

So my recommendation would be that if the floor is rubber, and the deck chairs are loungers it might not be too bad. We had that on Radiance recently and heard much less noise. When the pool party was on we heard music, that was fine, but it was the herd of elephants stomping (maybe dancing) above us that was a bit much until about 2pm if I remember.

So do some more research, and if you look at deck 7 remember that it is above entertainment! That is the one thing I would say about Rhapsody, no decks between other accommodation decks if you want a balcony.

PS we visited friends that were in a JS near the elevators/stairs and their room was very quiet.

Edited by kjsmith63

Not all cabins on deck 8 are noisy, but if it's in the pool area, and noise is a concern, then I wouldn't be booking that cabin.

That area stays busy through the evening and late night, and noise does come through. Note that aside from chairs, you will also get noise from the parties they have in the pool area at night.

Hi All,

I have booked 8028 on Rhapsody as they had JS for the same price as balcony cabins. I have now noticed it is directly under the pool area, and have found a few posts relating to noise in these cabins. Has anyone had any experience?

I'm not so worried about daytime noise, as I won't spent that much time in the cabin. Its more about sleeping, I am a light sleeper and don't want to be up all night. I often wear earplugs while I sleep, and am happy to do so, but there are comments about scraping pool chairs etc which I imagine earplugs might not block out. Can anyone put my fears to rest, or should I be trying for a balcony on deck 7? (I am kinda excited about the junior suite though!)

Personally, I would select a balcony on deck 7 rather than a JS on deck 8, I turned down an upgrade to JS on Rhapsody to stay on deck 7. But that is just me, lots of people love the deck 8 JS and haven't experienced significant problems.

I think your position is probably in one of the quieter areas of the pool deck, you'll still get some cleaning noise and noise if there are any late night pool parties (but hopefully you'll be up at them so no need to worry!). If you are keen and excited to try out a junior suite, you should give it a whirl. I don't think you are in the worst possible place on that deck, and I also think you would get more noise if you were starboard, it is busier at odd hours due to it being the smoking section. Whatever you decide I am sure you'll be happy, don't stress about it.:D

we were in cabin 8520 on rhapsody in oct 2012, there was noise on the night of the pool party (to be expected) but only up until the party ended around midnight. Some mornings I heard the chairs scraping across the floor but it didn't wake me up, I was already awake, so if you are a light sleeper or don't wake up early it might bother you but it wasn't really loud. Don't let it make you choose a balcony on another deck, keep the junior suite, you will love it.

Hi All,

I was in Cabin 8032 in Dec. I did not hear any chair scrapings, but did here some "thump thump". I figured this to be people running across the pool deck. We did not experience any long lasting or obnoxious noise otherwise.

I believe that you will find that you are under the designated smoking area. So really not a lot of activity as such (a moral in there maybe?). The smokers/smoke were not noticeable at all to us.

• 1 month later...

I have just returned from the cruise so will answer my own question.

Yes the cabins under the pool deck suffer from noise. Basically anyone walking on anything but tippie toes results in some noise into the cabins, but 'heavy footed' people and running children cause a loud noise in the cabin. The layout of the deck chairs basically funnels everyone over the cabin, and it is used as a thoroughfare to get from the main elevators mid-ship to the Windjammer at the front. The deck chairs are also rearranged at 5am every morning. The night-time pool parties weren't an issue as I was up on deck not in the room.

Having said all that by about day 4 I was so used to the noise it didn't bother me anymore, and I am quite noise sensitive. For a future cruise I would prefer a balcony on Deck 7 to a Junior Suite on Deck 8 (unless it was under a quieter area like the spa perhaps).

We are in a JS, 3 cabins up from your cabin toward the Centrum just past the end of the pool from what I can tell on the deck plans, but on the other side of the ship in 1.5 weeks time, will be interesting to see if it's as noisy as yours.

We were on deck 10 on Radiance last year directly under the solarium but didn't experience any noise.

Luckily noise doesn't bother me too much if I know what it is.

Edited by avalon007

Good to hear the noise wasn't too bad. We went on Radiance just after that original post and had a fairly quiet cabin on deck 7 for the first leg of our trip, but then on the second leg we got an upgrade to a deck 10 junior suite right under Ritas cantina. There were steel wheeled trolleys running over tiled floors at all hours before and after serving times. Ear plugs are definitely an essential packing item for junior suites it seems. I love the space of junior suites and love my breaky on the bigger balcony.

It is a difficult one. The Rhapsody has problems on Deck 7 with the Lounge underneath for the aft cabins and then they have those crazy parties in the Centrum for anyone mid-ship. On Deck 8, we generally choose an aft-facing JS - no noise at all and those glorious views. We have had several OS but even they get a "little" very early morning noise from Windjammers above.

I am a light sleeper and it annoys me that we pay so much to have the noise from above so I book early and am very cabin fussy. You need to study the Deck Plans. I really envy people who dont have sleep problems.

Cheers

Di

Yes having the choice of cabins is the ideal situation, when we booked because a really good deal came available at short notice there were only two JS cabins left, so not much choice I'm afraid.

Oh well, if the noise does get annoying then ear plugs will have to be deployed!

• 2 weeks later...