Spirit Dry Dock Early February 2014

Big Chippy

Hi all,

We are booked on Spirit 27th Feb from Malaga, having just upgraded on this cruise due to a price drop, I asked NCL what was the Spirit in dry dock for. They replied that it is for refurbishments including new carpets, painting etc. and all staterooms should have flat screen TV's installed and hopefully fridges! We shall post back when we have cruised!!

Carol

They replied that it is for refurbishments including new carpets, painting etc. and all staterooms should have flat screen TV's installed and hopefully fridges!

That is interesting - despite ships having visited dry dock, the TV upgrades are usually done (previously on several ships in Dawn class and Jewel class) during normal operations in a timespan of several months.

Hi all,

We are booked on Spirit 27th Feb from Malaga, having just upgraded on this cruise due to a price drop, I asked NCL what was the Spirit in dry dock for. They replied that it is for refurbishments including new carpets, painting etc. and all staterooms should have flat screen TV's installed and hopefully fridges! We shall post back when we have cruised!!

Carol

Hi Carol,

Interesting, we were on the Spirit last April (and are back on her this April:)) We had an inside cabin and it had a flat screen TV. We have booked a balcony this time round and my understanding is that balcony cabins and above have fridges or chillers at the moment.

If this is your first cruise on the Spirit you will love it we certainly did.

Stuart

I'm booked on the Spirit in November and was wondering what they would be doing during dry dock as well. I wonder if they would add a Moderno, as I think she might be the only ship without one?

That is interesting - despite ships having visited dry dock, the TV upgrades are usually done (previously on several ships in Dawn class and Jewel class) during normal operations in a timespan of several months.

Thanks for letting me know, I am just quoting what NCL told me when I asked. Perhaps there are a few cabins still without flat screen TVs and fridges! He did also mention that all cruise ships require to go into Dry Dock every few years for routine maintenance and to anti-foul the hull.

Carol

Hi Carol,

Interesting, we were on the Spirit last April (and are back on her this April:)) We had an inside cabin and it had a flat screen TV. We have booked a balcony this time round and my understanding is that balcony cabins and above have fridges or chillers at the moment.

If this is your first cruise on the Spirit you will love it we certainly did.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Many thanks for the info. Hopefully all cabins will now have flat screen TVs and fridges fitted, this is our first cruise on the Spirit, and looking forward to it!!

Carol

I'm booked on the Spirit in November and was wondering what they would be doing during dry dock as well. I wonder if they would add a Moderno, as I think she might be the only ship without one?

Hi J9, we are on Spirit on 27th February so will post after cruise and let you know if they add a Moderno!!::)

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have further updates on the work to be done now that the Spirit is in dry dock. I read somewhere that she is in Cadiz

She is in Cadiz for sure.

I spoke with Pradrag who is the chief engineer. He said that as the ship is nearing 15 years old it has to have an MOT sort of thing. The integrity of the hull is to be tested and a lot of electrical wiring is to be replaced due to it's age not that it is or ever has been dangerous. Lots of other maintenance jobs will be done at that time that it is difficult to do when the ship is sailing normally.

Was going to ask about any cosmetic things passengers might notice but he had to go so I don't know anything about carpets, glazing or cabin enhancements.

Stuart, which date is your sailing?

She is in Cadiz for sure.

I spoke with Pradrag who is the chief engineer. He said that as the ship is nearing 15 years old it has to have an MOT sort of thing. The integrity of the hull is to be tested and a lot of electrical wiring is to be replaced due to it's age not that it is or ever has been dangerous. Lots of other maintenance jobs will be done at that time that it is difficult to do when the ship is sailing normally.

Was going to ask about any cosmetic things passengers might notice but he had to go so I don't know anything about carpets, glazing or cabin enhancements.

Stuart, which date is your sailing?

Well, we certainly want them to test the integrity of the hull given the stormy weather over the winter:eek:

Overall she looked pretty good to me last year, perhaps some replacement glazing (as others have mentioned) would be an improvement.

We sail on the 28th March Jean.

Trust your health continues to improve, must have been pretty scary for you.

Stuart

We have just returned from the Spirit cruise before the dry dock and can confirm our cabin (I/S deck 10) had flat screen TV and cooler cabinet stocked with mini bar items. I wouldn't say it was a fridge as such.

We attended a couple of Q&A sessions and the Captain confirmed the ship would be going to Cadiz for minor renewals of carpets and decorations etc. They may also be doing other minor works to re-fit some of the shops and other venues - no word of any wholesale changes to venues etc. Interestingly the entertainment staff are expected to help out with the minor unskilled works which seemed to be a source of discomfort to some of them - that's show business I guess!

We thought the Spirit was in fairly good condition for age and the deckhands were always painting and varnishing something during our cruise so anything done in the dry dock will only enhance her appearance even further.

If you see any strange person laying flat out on the floor at any point during a Spirit cruise, don't get medical help, I'll just be sniffing the new carpet!! And if I have new carpet in my cabin, you may not see me at all!!!

Whats your address, I have a buddy in the carpet business, we'll send you a remnant to keep you happy, til you arrive on the Spirit! :cool:

If you see any strange person laying flat out on the floor at any point during a Spirit cruise, don't get medical help, I'll just be sniffing the new carpet!! And if I have new carpet in my cabin, you may not see me at all!!!

Now that is the best excuse I've heard in a long time for the effects of over-indulgence at a Martini tasting!:D

Had an outside cabin on deck 6 Jan 15th sailing before dry dock, we had a fridge and flat screen TV

Hi Stuart,

Many thanks for the info. Hopefully all cabins will now have flat screen TVs and fridges fitted, this is our first cruise on the Spirit, and looking forward to it!!

Carol

• 4 weeks later...

So i was on the sailing of the Spirit fresh from dry dock, this being my 3rd trip on the spirit and there was very little "change" that i could see. The Gym seemed to be the most improved with brand new equipment. There was lots of fresh paint and carpets and seating seemed very clean and in some cases brand new. No change in the dinning rooms or venues. All the teak decking had been sanded and was in great shape (although they had not finished all of it and had one side of the deck closed for days as they wrapped up the restoration work).

I always give the spirit high marks and sprucing her up a bit was just what she needed (now if they could just sort out the service in the main dinning room).

No change to the pool area? It really could use a big screen TV.

Thank god they didn't! It would ruin the ambience of a nice 'older-fashioned' ship. There are enough floating cinemas to choose from already.

Thank god they didn't! It would ruin the ambience of a nice 'older-fashioned' ship. There are enough floating cinemas to choose from already.

My thoughts exactly. In general on NCL ships the atriums are mostly already loud enough with the noise from movies, video games, etc all the time - absolutely no need to spread the noise pollution everywhere.

Edited by Demonyte