Currency for Tahiti, Moorea & Bora Bora

cottagemama

I am looking for some help here. I have been online looking for currency converters to see what the $ is to convert to local and I cannot find anything for French Polynesia. Can someone help me please. I am trying to figure how much local currency I will need the the cost to convert to local or is the US dollar used in the islands?

Thanks

Muriel

82.50 sounds about right after a bank adds their cut which is normally around 5% over the 'trade' rate. Sometimes if you have a great deal of money in a bank they will give you the 'trade' rate if you ask.

As far as Canadian simply use the same link and place Canadian dollars in there instead of US dollars then drop it by about 5%.

I just checked, after conversion and adding the 5% I would think about $100 CAD would get you 7500 Pacific Francs

There is an ATM at the ferry dock next to the ships as well as across the street.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

The best I remember for us was $114

The worst was $66

The best NZD exchange was in 2001, we went to the Cooks on the cheap ........... 2.6 to 1 :eek:

One week in the cooks with airfare, transfers and beach front small resort $650 USD. We added 3 more nights on Aitutaki with transfers and lagoon view room with kitchenette for $325 USD .............. So 10 nights in the Cooks including Aitutaki from LAX for under $1000 USD, those were the days

Edited by Tikiintahiti

• 3 weeks later...
What is local currency needed for? Doing a South Pacific cruise in April. We can pay for tours in US dollars. I assume the Marche and Roulette? Or would Euros or Dollars be accepted? Thanks!!

When we stopped at the 3 main islands on our transpacific, we found that in Tahiti, the local market had 50/50 the stalls advertising in US dollars or Francs, so we used Francs where they asked for Francs and Dollars where they asked for dollars. Same for Bora Bora and Moorea, where a market was set up near the tender point.

We went into the little general store to buy some sunscreen and bottled water, they would take US dollars but would give local change, so we used Francs there. Same for the shaved ice vendor and a lady serving fresh coconuts.

The roulottes seemed to only advertise in Francs so I'd say they wouldn't take US dollars.

So I guess the short answer is it will be handy to have Francs for small local purchases, but if you're only planning on doing your tours and maybe a souvineer from the markets, you could get away with just dollars.

• 3 weeks later...