Lisbon 7 hours

Just recently visited Lisbon and also had limited time (around 6 hours). I contacted Lisbonhost (http://www.lisbonhost.com) to provide a tour when i would arrive to the port (i dont like those large shore tours organized inside the cruize). I was informed by some friends that David (the owner) was a great guide and that they loved the experience in Lisbon and he had been really helpful.

So, i did follow their advice and contacted Lisbonhost (they have a nice site..just find in google) and arranged a private day trip to Sintra, Cascais and Estoril for me and my husband.

9 am, we get out of the boat and there was this joyful young guy waiting for us with a beautiful smille holding our name in a card.

Everything was just wonderful, he told us soo much about the city, we visit the romantic Sintra, got to know all the mysterious stories, visit the beautiful city of Cascais, Estoril, and came back safe, happy and really safistied with the day.

Total recommend David and his team of Lisbonhost

Thanks for a great day

Susan

If you have been to Lisbon before, then yes, I would recommend going to Sintra, since it's easily done on the trains and it's a lovely town.

However, it you never seen Lisbon, then I wouldn't rush through it, just to see Sintra. Sintra is beautiful, but Lisbon offers many delights as well.

We have never been, so sounds like we would have a great day just staying in Lisbon? I have made contact with a private driver...top ten tours based on recommendation here...but was given 2 options ...one to just stay in Lisbon and the other was to do both Lisbon and Sinatra but obviously it would be a short day in both.

Edited by LiseD

We have never been, so sounds like we would have a great day just staying in Lisbon? I have made contact with a private driver...top ten tours based on recommendation here...but was given 2 options ...one to just stay in Lisbon and the other was to do both Lisbon and Sinatra but obviously it would be a short day in both.

To do both with a private tour would indeed be a short day in both. Lisbon you can easily do on your own, as the port is opposite the metro/subway station.

Most people chose to do:

Belem - Old part of the city, the tower and getting the Sweets (Pastei de Belem). Take tram E15 around 10 mins walking distance from the port. Also has beautiful cathedral and museums.

Castello de st. Jorge - The Castle, although we'd say Fort, which gives a magnificent view of the whole of Lisbon. Very pretty. Fort itself is not very interesting. Fun to take the little yellow tram up to it, very old part of the city and very charming.

Rossio/Chiado - city centre for shopping and enjoying. Chiado has all the luxury boutiques, also, you will be near the Fado area, for lunch and Fado music, but loads of bars.

Expo area (take metro) - used in the world expo in '98 I think. Has lovely shopping mall, interesting gardens and left over exhibits, and the Oceanium, a great aquarium which is lovely.

Apart from that, there is quite a lot more to do if you like shops, architecture, food etc. What are you looking for?

• 4 weeks later...

OP: We had our first visit to Lisbon last fall, a port stop on a TA. I had the same question -- stay in Lisbon or try to cram in Sinatra as well. After reading other threads, we opted to stay in Lisbon. As it turns out, you could spend most of the day just in Belem. I think you need to ask yourself what you'd be most interested in seeing and go from there.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!

I have 2 days in Lisbon, and have decided to just stay in Lisbon the whole time rather than go to Sintra one day. There is plenty to see and enjoy from what I've seen and read so far. Sintra looks great, but it also seems a bit too touristy to be totally up my alley.

You don't seem like the "do it yourself" type, but if so, be aware that there are multiple docking locations, and depending upon which location your ship is assigned, you will have different options for getting to center city Lisbon, Belem, etc. Of course, taxis should be available at any location, and they seem to be reasonable. Google Port of Lisbon for port site that lists your docking location. It only shows assignments about a month in advance, however. From what I've seen the bigger ships generally get the Santa Apolonia location (farthest east, but very close to a Metro and CP train station) and the smaller ones generally get the Alcantara/da Rocha location, which is farther east - a bit more complicated to take bus/tram, but closer to Belem, which is one good thing about it).

We are taking "Bike by Daniel" or "Bike My Side" or something like that - a little different from our usual DIY more (and price) but it looks great and covers many of the highlights of Lisbon & Belem. It is NOT a tour on bicycles - look it up if you feel inclined to do something different!

Has anyone had experience using Jorge Bras of JMVB Tours & Car Service for tours in Lisbon/Sintra? Please share.

We contracted with Jorge several years ago for a one day tour after our transatlantic 12 day cruise on Windsurf. We had a wonderful day, but not with Jorge! His car had broken down that morning. We were met by his co-worker, Fernando, who provided an outstanding tour for us. It wasn't the easiest day to sightsee, as it was Easter Sunday. But Fernando did a fantastic job of helping us see everything that was open, as well as providing the most interesting discussion on the history of Portugal.

He drove a late model Mercedes, which was well-stocked with water, knew his way around both Lisbon and the coastline, and delivered us to our hotel that evening feeling like every penny was well spent.

I imagine Jorge would do just as good a job as Fernando. I read many many positive reviews before we contracted with his company.