Breakaway tips and hidden gems?

Valen9

My friends and I are cruising on the Breakaway next month. Do you have any favorites or out of the way spots? Which of the shows/events did you most enjoy? Did you find any secret spots you'd like to recommend?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Yes, it you are looking for a a quiet spot and you have warm weather, go all the way forward on deck 17. There are clam she'll loungers and maybe even hammocks to lay on.

Another spot that was mostly quiet, even on sea days was the waterfront. There is an outside bar outside Maltings on the waterfront, and it's a great place to have a drink and get away from the crowd.

Book shows and any specialty dining from home before you board. As you get closer to sailing they start filling up. Don't believe it when they say bookings are available on board, unless you run to your TV and book as soon as you board, you won't find a great selection of available times. We found that a lot of the bookings around normal dinner and show times were booked solid.

Don't forget to stop in and listen to the Fat Cats Jazz and Blues Club. This band was very entertaining and really good!

Remember that the fish print in the cabin hallway carpets swim towards aft (which helps in knowing which way you are walking when you get off an elevator).

That ottoman/seat by the desk area? We took it outside and used it as a sturdy/bigger table and footrest out on our aft-facing balcony. We put it back at the end of the cruise. :)

The hair dryer is NOT in the bathroom, but over by the desk area.

Bring another card (I used an old Shop Rite value card) to put in the slot to keep the lights and AC on while you are away from your cabin.

Hungry at midnight? Don't go up to the buffet, it's closed. Head to O'Sheehans for hot wings, chicken pot pie, and more. Also, if you miss breakfast in the MDR (and dislike the buffet craziness), you can head to O'Sheehans that also serves it's styled breakfast until later in the morning.

Yes, it you are looking for a a quiet spot and you have warm weather, go all the way forward on deck 17. There are clam she'll loungers and maybe even hammocks to lay on.

Thanks for the tip. Are those free or do they need to be rented?

And keep 'em coming! It's a huge ship and I'm sure we'll miss something great without your advice.

Free! Only the ones in Vibe need to be paid for

OMG! We may spend half the cruise there. :)

On the Gem and Jewel, we liked to hang out in that forward lounge with the funky furniture. Is there a "funky furniture" lounge on the Breakaway? Or one with forward-facing windows so we can watch where we are going?

On the Gem and Jewel, they had the White Hot party one night. I read in another thread that the Breakaway has a GLOW party. What is that all about?

The GLOW party, from what I understand (I've only been on the Breakaway), is basically the white hot party with glow sticks. You can wear neon colors instead of just white. Most of the people I saw wore white though. It's essentially just a big dance party at Spice H2O, or Bliss lounge or somewhere with similar capacity if the weather is bad. I had lots of fun :)

Edited by cruisebear84

If your in a balcony make sure your balcony door is not only closed but locked. If left unlocked the air conditioner will not come on. This happened to us, we thought there was something wrong with our AC.

I made a list of the pubic areas by deck and location (forward, mid and aft) I brought a magnet with me and put the list on my cabin door. When I was rushing out of my cabin, I could take a quick look and I knew exactly where I was going.

There are a ton of spots to sit and chill in the public areas. On the way back from Bermuda I spent a nice time reading next to a window in the main Atrium. I found the library to be very nice--comfy seating, puzzles and a decent selection of books. I second the Uptown Grill mention. Very nice for a quick bite. There is also the Freestyle sun deck--I understand it's no longer clothing optional? We did the pool and slides on one of the Bermuda port days and that was nice. The band was still out and playing, but it wasn't nearly as crowded. :D O'Sheehan's has bar seats circling the Atrium--excellent spot for people watching. The MDR Taste/Savor will be open for lunch--much better than the buffet zoo. Have a great time!

Jen