Which Caribbean islands to tour and which best for "Beach Day"?

SuperLarz

Hi Everyone,

Let me preface by saying I HAVE been scouring the "ports of call" threads and I am getting lots of good ideas. But I need an overall picture.

We will be sailing on the Summit in February and our ports are San Juan (embarking), Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten and St. Thomas.

We already have a private tour booked for Antigua (it will be our anniversary!)

But we are a little paralyzed trying to decide what to do on the other islands.

I know we want some good beach time, probably some snorkeling, and some touring/sight-seeing.

Does anyone have any suggestions about which islands are better for "beaching it" and which are better for tours or excursions? We also are more interested in local tour guides/organizations over the ship-sponsored ones.

A beach day may include some walking around and sight-seeing whatever local town is near, then taking a cab to a beach, and probably eating somewhere that serves the locals. (Again, would prefer to stay away from the hordes if possible!)

And a tour day may include a catamaran, bus or cab (or combo) and could include a variety of activities... Historical, cultural, active, hiking, snorkeling... you get the idea.

Any suggestions about the best towns for wandering around, the best beaches for lounging, the best trails for hiking, and tours for exploring... Anything helps!!

Thank you so much and I look forward to your suggestions!

Hello SuperLarz,

I just got off the Summit and on St. Thomas we used Simplicity Charters for a tour on a sailboat.

Josh and Charlie were awesome and they have a great first mate in Hinckley(their dog).

They took us for a 6 hour tour of the area with a snorkel tour and a beach day. They included a wonderful lunch and all drinks.

We are actually going to use them again next year when we go back for the itinerary you are taking.

http://www.simplicitycharters.com/

We have been on a few Southern Caribbean cruises (frequently with in laws travelling with us)

Our favourite port days include a beach, some site seeing (near port so that we are not spending a day in paradise on a bus).

Highlights for us on the Summit ports you've mentioned:

San Juan- walk old city to explore forts, wonderful streets and tiny unique bars for cold drinks

St Lucia - travel by boat to Pitons for beach time and snorkelling

( cruise ship catamaran trip was easy, beautiful vistas, seeing Pitons from the water below)

Antigua - beach day (not a favourite of mine, didn't do much here even after lots of cc searching)

Barbados - beach close to pier was wonderful and also close to rum distillery for a tour.

St Thomas- Magen's Bay beach , this year we are going to St John (Trunk Bay or Honeymoon)

St Maartin - Maho beach for ridiculous plane departures over beach, Orient beach for long beach walks. Traffic bonkers best to do one or the other and enjoy strolling shops, bars during the later afternoon.

Have a wonderful trip! We are aboard Feb 15th for the alternate itinerary. More rustic islands so even more beach days. :)

Cheers

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

St. Lucia and St. Thomas are beautiful islands with much to see. I think both should be toured the first time there, and definitely get to one of the beaches on St. Thomas! I would pass on a tour on St. Maarten due to the horrible traffic. When we toured the island we sat in a lot of traffic. The other islands are good for beaching it. San Juan is great for walking around and seeing the forts. Have fun!

I highly recommend Cosol Tours while in St. Lucia. You will sample native foods, see wonderful scenery, swim beneath the Pitons, etc. His tour was professional and a lot of fun. Check it out on Trip Advisor. Book before you go.

I will second the Simplicity Charters sailing day in St. Thomas. We also love a boat day with Captain Bob in St. Martin. Its a 5 minute walk to the dock from the port, his boat holds maybe 12 people so no big crowd, and he takes you on a boat tour around the French and Dutch sides with stops at Tintamarie, Pinel Island, a great lunch at Grand Case, several stops for snorkeling, and a final stop anchored off Maho to swim and watch the planes. He includes beer, water and soda as well. We do this tour every time and you can find him on Trip Advisor under Soualiga Destinations. One more suggestion if you've never done it; surf school in Barbados! You will be surfing on your own by the end of the day!! Have a great cruise!

Wow, thank you everyone for the great suggestions!

I will be writing these down and researching them all.

I am sure that no matter what we do we will have a wonderful time. But it's always fun to try to make the most of each destination.

Thanks again and keep them coming!

One of the nicest beach experiences we've had on a Caribbean cruise was our day at Dickenson Bay in Antigua.

This beach has a public area and another area that is the beach for the Sandals resort.

You need to take a taxi, as it was not within walking distance from the ship.

Clean, gorgeous water, nice people, chairs and umbrella rentals, food, a beach bar and a view to die for.

There were also different kinds of watercraft rentals. We did waverunners.

We were two families traveling together and all agreed that it was our favorite port day on that cruise.

It's looking like we are going to do tours on St. Lucia, Antigua and St. Thomas and have "beach days" on St. Maarten and Barbados.

We are still trying to solidify our plans for our "beach days" and would love to hear your favorite places to go on both St. Maarten and Barbados. This could include shopping, site seeing, beaches, local restaurants/bars, or anything else that we could get to on our own that is worth seeing.

Thanks again for all your help!!