Snorkeling Beach other than Trunk Bay (on St. John)?

signora

Looks like there'll be a ton of pax at Trunk Bay on our day there: any recommendations for a different snorkeling beach (with lounge chairs) and also within a reasonable taxi ride from Cruz Bay? Thanks for your help in advance!

I believe that Cinnamon is the only other public beach where you can rent lounge chairs. It will be the second busiest beach on the island, after Trunk, but it is a longer beach so it may not feel as crowded.

If snorkeling is the key, and lounge chairs aren't a must, then Maho and Francis would be less crowded options, with potentially better snorkeling, although you'd need to bring everything you need with you.

Thanks for the info, Augie--also, how far is Cinnamon from Cruz Bay (is it much farther than Trunk?) and approx. how much is a taxi for 2? Thanks in advance!

Cinnamon is basically the next "big" beach past Trunk - another 5-10 minutes on the taxi. I don't recall the rates, but I believe it's $6 pp each way to Trunk and if that's correct it's probably $7 or $8 to Cinnamon.

Honeymoon Beach (the one on St. John, not the one on Water Island) is a beautiful beach. I don't believe that technically, it's a public beach (I think it may be part of the Caneel Resort's holdings) but you can walk in from a relatively short trail from the Caneel parking lot, or via a 20-25 minute hike on the Lind Point Trail from Cruz Bay. If you are driving, Caneel will charge you $20 to park, which you can "work off" by spending that amount on drinks/gifts there. They used to allow folks that arrived via taxis to walk in for free, but I honestly don't know if they still do or not.

It used to be one of the "quieter" beaches along the north shore, but it is a popular stop for snorkel tours that originate on St. Thomas and a fairly new watersports stand has increased the head count as well. The upside to that is that it's no longer a "wilderness" (read: bring everything you need) beach, but I don't know if they rent lounge chairs and umbrellas in addition to paddleboards and kayaks.