Best Aft cabin on Getaway/Breakaway

willise

Hi all,

Planning our cruise on the getaway and we want to book an aft balcony cabin B1.

I have read a lot about these cabins on the Breakaway, so I'm assuming the Getaway will be very similar.

Most people seem to gravitate towards 11910 or 9320 on the Breakaway.

Of these which is the best for Balcony size, noise levels at night, and shade on the balcony? We probably won't spend much, if any, time at the pool area on sea days, as we prefer to just hang out on our own loungers and read, etc.

Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

We had an aft balcony on deck 9 last year to Bermuda on the BA. I don't remember the cabin number, but it was next door to the corner suite on the port side. The balcony was HUGE and the room was nice. It was nicely shaded and already had two loungers. Perfect for hanging out and watching the water go by. We were a little concerned about noise from deck 8, but it was not a problem at all. We are now spoiled for aft balconies. :D

Jen

Thank you.

If you were next to a corner suite on deck 9, that was probably 9320.

Was it sufficiently sunny enough that you could lay in the sun if you wanted? My wife would probably like to be in the sun, while I was in the shade LOL.

Also, could you see the fireworks from your balcony?

BTW - did you enjoy Bermuda? We have been there 4 or 5 times now and really enjoy it every time!!

The overhang from the balcony above covers just about the whole thing, so if you wanted to be in the sun, it would have to depend on the orientation of the ship and sun. To be honest, I don't remember much about how sunny the balcony was. You might have to snug up against the rail to get some rays.

For the fireworks, we were up in Spice H20 and judging from the way they launch, you might be able to see a few, but not much. There are some other threads on here that talk about out of the way places to see the fireworks in case you don't want to crowd into Spice H20. I gotta say though, the 80s party was a lot of fun and I'm glad we went.

Bermuda was wonderful! I told my husband I want to retire there. We didn't do any of the ship excursions--we just did our own thing. Wandered around the Dockyards the first day then did the ferry and bus out to the caves, bussed into Hamilton and wandered around. We took advantage of the deserted ship on one of the port days to do the pool and slides. I would definitely go back to Bermuda because there is so much to see and do there.

Jen

We were in room 11910 in October. The room was nice, bed by balcony. The balcony was 108 square feet. We just cancelled room 9318, the one right next to the aft penthouse on the port side. That bed was by the door and the balcony had 158 square feet(huge). We saw about half of the fireworks from our 11910 room, not bad. Balcony sizes from biggest to smallest are deck 9,12,11,13,14, not sure where deck 10 falls.

We were in room 11910 in October. The room was nice, bed by balcony. The balcony was 108 square feet. We just cancelled room 9318, the one right next to the aft penthouse on the port side. That bed was by the door and the balcony had 158 square feet(huge). We saw about half of the fireworks from our 11910 room, not bad. Balcony sizes from biggest to smallest are deck 9,12,11,13,14, not sure where deck 10 falls.

I think Deck 10 has M1's not B1's.

We were in 9320 - it is NOT the one right next to the corner balcony, but one more over towards the center. We had 9322 as well (one more closer to center) and I can tell you that 9320 has the largest standard balcony on the ship. Part of it is due to the fact that Deck 9 has the deepest aft balconies, but the other part is that because of the divider placement, 9320 has an even bigger balcony that other B1s on that deck.

Noise from Spice H20 was never a problem, and that's with the bed near the balcony and a wife who is very sensitive to noise. It also offered a great balance between sun and shade. My wife prefers the shade and I prefer the sun, and we were both able to be out there, in loungers, and each enjoy our preferred space. Of course, as a previous poster indicated, much has to do with the ship's position relative to the sun.

Watching the sailaway from NY in an aft balcony was also quite a treat, as the skyline receded into the distance.

Enjoy your cruise!

I think Deck 10 has M1's not B1's.

My bad, I was not correct here. Carry on...

I did however find a new video of a Deck 10 B1 (10314) on Getaway, which should be the same as Breakaway, which shows a pretty good size balcony.

Edited by Winston Wolf

We were deck 12 aft, the handicap cabin and the one next to it starboard side.

The noise from Spice was LOUD and our cabin vibrated too from it. We called twice to complain, when they had parties that ran until 1 a.m. They never turned the music down (we were told they would speak to the DJ) but on the last day they sent a bottle of wine to my parents in the HC cabin. They offered to move them but they didn't have another HC cabin available on the ship. If you are sensitive to noise and don't plan on going to sleep until after 11:00pm or later, than you'll be fine. If you're sensitive to music noise and vibration from it, don't book anything aft from deck 12 on up.

That said, the balcony was the reason we booked it. On the last day of our Bahamas/Florida cruise, the weather was picture perfect. While it was cold and windy up by the pool and waterfront, it was hot and sunny all day on our balcony.

Thank you for all the replies.

I have a feeling we will go with 9320. We really like to sit out on the balcony and enjoy a bottle of wine late at night and just listen to the ocean. So I think we will go for the biggest balcony we can. The Aft Penthouse suites are just way too expensive for me, not that we can't afford it, more that we can't justify the more than double the cost.

It seems that no matter what balcony you get, there will be a mixture of sun and shade, but the bigger the balcony, the better the chance of having both.

Thanks again everyone - really appreciate it!

Thank you for all the replies.

I have a feeling we will go with 9320. We really like to sit out on the balcony and enjoy a bottle of wine late at night and just listen to the ocean. So I think we will go for the biggest balcony we can. The Aft Penthouse suites are just way too expensive for me, not that we can't afford it, more that we can't justify the more than double the cost.

It seems that no matter what balcony you get, there will be a mixture of sun and shade, but the bigger the balcony, the better the chance of having both.

Thanks again everyone - really appreciate it!

If you love a big balcony and a lounge chair, you'll love the aft B1's. We actually booked the B1 because we love spending time on our balcony and I wanted to ensure we had a lounge chair and some sun - really dislike the madness on the pool decks. We spent a lot of time during the day out on our balcony. There was shade towards the cabin entrance of the balcony and sun over by the railing.

The aft facing Haven penthouses on deck 9 are some of the best cabins on breakaway. The balconies are massive (250 square feet)

ABSOLUTELY!!!

We had 9316 on the Breakaway in September and have the same one booked on the Getaway for February 2015. ;) Here is a link to fb photos I have posted of the cabin and balcony on the Breakaway. You do not need a fb log in to see the pictures. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201028887301742.1073741827.1154291247&type=1&l=22213e86c7

• 1 year later...
All booked!!

Aft Balcony 9320 for our 20th anniversary.

Thanks everyone for your input!!!

Have you already celebrated your anniversary in 9320? First of all, congratulations! Second, how was the room. I'm trying to decide between a Haven Spa suite (smaller balcony but of course there is the Haven) and our currently booked 9320 (for next week). :) Thanks!

• 10 months later...

Just booked 9320 on the Getaway in 2017 very excited miss being in the Aft with a deep balcony :)

We were in 9320 - it is NOT the one right next to the corner balcony, but one more over towards the center. We had 9322 as well (one more closer to center) and I can tell you that 9320 has the largest standard balcony on the ship. Part of it is due to the fact that Deck 9 has the deepest aft balconies, but the other part is that because of the divider placement, 9320 has an even bigger balcony that other B1s on that deck.

Noise from Spice H20 was never a problem, and that's with the bed near the balcony and a wife who is very sensitive to noise. It also offered a great balance between sun and shade. My wife prefers the shade and I prefer the sun, and we were both able to be out there, in loungers, and each enjoy our preferred space. Of course, as a previous poster indicated, much has to do with the ship's position relative to the sun.

Watching the sailaway from NY in an aft balcony was also quite a treat, as the skyline receded into the distance.

Enjoy your cruise!