Acapulco Assistance Needed from Celebrity Friends

charlielinda

I looked at the port boads and still have a question about Acapulco.

What would YOU do for one day in Acapulco besides seeing the Cliff Divers? Would you spend the day at a beach (which one)? at a resort (which one)?

I'm think beach day (is that a good thought) and then late afternoon cliff divers?

Any and all opinions are welcome -- this is just stumping me. If anyone knows of a reliable guide for a few hours also I'd love to know about him. Thanks!

We have been to Acapulco twice in the last year. The first time we went horseback riding, but the second time we did the shore excursion off of the cruise ship to a beach club, mostly because it included transportation, and we had already discovered how expensive taking a taxi to the beach can be. The beach club was exclusive, and had a beautiful view of the ocean, but we mostly hung out around the pool area, which had several 'beds' around it. We saw the Cliff Divers at night, again taking the shore excursion the cruise ship offered, as they guaranteed a good seat. The parking lot where the hotel was located was a zoo, and we are glad we took the ship's tour, as there was a delay getting back to the ship due to a political rally, and we wouldn't have made our debarkation time without going through the shore excursion desk!

We are sure you will love Acapulco as we do! It is a stunningly beautiful city, and we have very fond memories of our tour operators there!

We spent the day at the resort, too (after seeing the Cliff Divers) and enjoyed the day. It included a buffet lunch, and we too spent most of the time at the very nice pool (waterfalls, etc). Even though it was a warm day we walked on the beach but found it to be quite cold (ok to walk, not to swim). There seemed to be watersports and horseback riding on the beach. Sorry I don't remember the name of it but it was the X shore excursion and the hotel had a Mayan ruins theme.

I did get sick after Acapulco (montezuma's revenge) so not sure what caused it...probably something I ate or drank at the resort since it was the only "off ship" place we ate...my husband did not get sick and ate the same food I did, so you never know, I just thought I would relay my experience because it made my last few days on board quite unpleasant.

We rented a taxi (right outside of the ship and he did a GREAT JOB -- even supplied us w/ bottled Corona's - do not drink any frozen drinks or drinks w/ ice there unless you are at a resort - I think we paid $50 for the day and gave him a nice tip) for the day w/ our friends (4 of us) and did our own thing. We had been there before, but our friends were never there, but we went w/ them to the cliff divers ---- need to watch your times on that....we did the 130PM thing....takes 10 minutes....traffic is horrendous, so need to allow yourself enough time to get there. Went to the old Flamingo Hotel - beautiful view....dumpy, old hotel, but the "rat pack" used to hang out there and Johnny Weissmuller's home is part of it - he was original Tarzan. We went back to the ship around 3pm and that was fine w/ us!

We did the taxi thing. 20 each for a tour of 2 hours. Went to divers, the old part of Acapulco, Johnny Weismullers home ( my husband was thrilled- his childhood hero).

The concierge on Mercury was very helpful and told us which hotels let cruise ship passengers use their facilities ( chairs,pools, beaches etc) I think in town it was the Hyatt or maybe it was the Hilton, anyway it was $10 each to use the hotel faciliites and about $10 each way in a taxi. We didn't go , but next time we will probably do that.

Archived