update on The Star

kathy9

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Viking Cruises (http://www.vikingcruises.com) today announced the keel was laid for its first ocean cruise vessel, Viking Star, marking the next construction phase of the company's first-ever ocean product. The ceremony took place on Wednesday, December 18, at Fincantieri's Marghera shipyard outside Venice, Italy. Viking Star is scheduled to be delivered in early 2015.

(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20131219/SF36208)

"Our new ocean itineraries are selling at an unprecedented rate, and the enthusiasm we have seen from guests is truly remarkable," said Torstein Hagen, Chairman of Viking Cruises. "There is undoubtedly interest in an ocean cruise experience that returns the focus to the destination, and Viking is actively planning to meet that demand."

Steel was first cut for Viking Star in June 2013, and the laying of the keel is a formal recognition of the start of construction. The 930-passenger Viking Star features state-of-the-art design from experienced nautical architects and engineers. The company will also launch a record-breaking 14 new river vessels – Viking Longships® – in March 2014.

Viking's ocean itineraries will include Viking Star's maiden voyages in Scandinavia and the Baltic; and the Western and Eastern Mediterranean. Classified by Cruise Critic as a "small ship," the all-veranda custom-designed vessel allows travelers to get closer than ever to their destinations with maximum time in ports, while highlighting history, art and local culture through privileged-access excursions and onboard experiences that are truly designed for the experienced traveler.

For more information, images and b-roll, contact vikingpr@edelman.com. For additional details, contact Viking Cruises toll-free at 1-855-8-VIKING (1-855-884-5464).

...some progress!

The photo shows what appears to be a section of the double bottoms. I am pleased that Viking is now setting the completion date as EARLY 2015 instead of MAY 2015, which is problematic since they have an APRIL 11 Empires of the Med. cruise that is sold out. Since their website shows many sold out cruises, it seems that most people paid 100% a year early.

• 3 weeks later...
The photo shows what appears to be a section of the double bottoms. I am pleased that Viking is now setting the completion date as EARLY 2015 instead of MAY 2015, which is problematic since they have an APRIL 11 Empires of the Med. cruise that is sold out. Since their website shows many sold out cruises, it seems that most people paid 100% a year early.

They didn't have a choice--Viking is demanding full payment now for 2016

cruises!!! Apparently passengers are supposed to finance the ship...

That's crazy. I noticed in a few threads posters indicating they had paid in full, which confused me. I wanted to see if that was required or if done by choice (pay in full discount a la Crystal). Last night I searched the Viking website (ocean, nor river) for deposit requirements and found in the Terms and Conditions a figure of $500 per person. There should be a disclaimer somewhere that cruises through x date require full payment at time of reservation.

I was thinking of booking but there is no way I'm paying in full for a cruise on a yet to hit the water cruise ship.

• 3 weeks later...
They didn't have a choice--Viking is demanding full payment now for 2016

cruises!!! Apparently passengers are supposed to finance the ship...

In all fairness, we did have a choice..........we knew before we booked that payment was due in full by Dec'13 and we elected to accept those terms. :)

• 7 months later...

Their final payment is due much further out than 120 days (we paid in full Dec '13 for 5/2/15 cruise) - however the amount minus the $100 or $150 (can't remember) per person, can be refunded up 120 days prior to the cruise.

While we - and most others - weren't too crazy about that much money up front, we are now looking forward to a cruise that is 7 months out and paid in full!!