Getaway Questions: Ask 'Em Here!

My travel agent has informed me that we are able to take our own pop and juice aboard the Getaway, as long as the case is unopened. Has anyone else tried doing this. I don't want to get there and have to throw it in the garbage.

I haven't done it myself, but lots of people have reported doing so with no problems.

My travel agent has informed me that we are able to take our own pop and juice aboard the Getaway, as long as the case is unopened. Has anyone else tried doing this. I don't want to get there and have to throw it in the garbage.

We had no problem taking a case of soda onboard the Epic from Miami last year. We just put a luggage tag on the carton and handed it to the porter. It was waiting in the cabin with our luggage.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Ashley,

Thank you so much for the information. What a mistake that would've been! I do have her booking number, and figured that by purchasing a certain amount in onboard credits, that she would be set for her expenses onboard. I do see on the NCL website, that they now offer a gift card, an actual card you receive in the mail. Would my daughter be able to present the gift card at the registration counter for her onboard expenses? Again, thank you soooooo much for the info on the onboard credit!!

You're very welcome. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer regarding the gift card. It seems like it should work, but I'm unsure if, like onboard credit, gift cards can only be used for certain purchases. That would be a question for a customer service rep.

Even if she does have to register a credit card or put down a cash deposit up front, they'll only deduct from that amount or charge her credit card if there are charges that the OBC won't cover or if the amount of her purchases exceeds the amount of the onboard credit.

Ashley,

I know that everyone gets a key card for entry into staterooms, making purchases, etc., however, is their any way to restrict charging privileges on children's cards? Also, for the pre-teens and teens, is there an amount limit that one can place on their individual cards as to spending, or will the money they spend be automatically charged to the parent's card?

Also, do you know if there are walkie-talkies that can be leased while onboard? The ship is enormous and I don't think you can use your cell phone to reach your wandering family members because of high roaming charges. Is there a way that people can connect with each other while onboard?

Thank you, as always!

Iconcierge will do what you want. Download the app and pay the fee (about $8 I think, but I haven't paid it myself), and then you can text or call using the app. It uses the ship wifi so no roaming costs.

Yes, the iConcierge app will work for that. However, I just used it on a Norwegian Breakaway sailing, and the Wi-Fi was so spotty that it only worked about half of the time. I don't know if you can rent walkie-talkies, but I did see some for sale in one of the onboard shops. I didn't notice the cost, though.

As for the kids' cards, yes, your daughter can place restrictions on them. I'm not sure of the details on that for Norwegian, but I know some cruise lines allow parents to put a set amount on their kids' cards, which essentially makes them sort of like debit cards that they can use for things like soda, gelato or games in the arcade until the prepaid amount runs out. They can also be set up to function as normal charge cards (for which your daughter will get the bill if it's linked to her credit card), or I believe charging privileges can be completely turned off. In that case, she might want to look into purchasing beverage packages for them so they wouldn't really need to use their cards for charging.

Edited by ashley@cruisecritic

Does anybody know what cold beverages are complimentary during non-breakfast hours, other than iced tea and water? Is there lemonade or flavored water available too?

There's a juice machine in the Garden Cafe buffet. I tried the mango, which was pretty decent. There were two or three other flavors, but I can't remember exactly what they were.

Hi Ashley. My wife and I just booked the Getaway for August. Thanks for all the pictures. Could tell me about the pool area. Are there places to find chaises in the shade, other than using the Vibe. Thanks Alan

Hi there,

No problem! The pools are set up in the middle of the pool deck, and there are two rows of chairs on either side. The first row is in the sun, but the second (against the windows) is generally in the shade, depending on the sun's angle. The area was deserted on my sailing (thanks to the chilly weather), so I can't comment on how crowded it might be, but there was a decent number of chairs.

Can anyone tell me if there are dishes offered at Ocean Blue OTHER than fish and seafood? I'm traveling with my parents and would love to take them there, but I have an allergy to fish (nothing serious, just annoying).

Yes! They have steaks and duck, as well. Here's the menu:

1620905_10201926172489032_1426357976_n.jpg

1656347_10201926172649036_141007988_n.jpg

1510866_10201926173009045_1942723715_n.jpg

I'm booked on the Getaway in March in an aft facing balcony and was wondering if robes are included in the room or if I need to bring one.

Thanks.

I was in a mini-suite and didn't have one, but that could've been because it was a short cruise on a new ship that hadn't done its first regular sailing yet. I'm sure if you ask your room steward he or she can provide one for you if there's not already one available.

My husband and I really enjoy the Serenity decks on Carnival ships. They are generally quiet and relaxing. We don't care for the LOUD music played elsewhere.

Will we find a relaxing atmosphere like this during the day in the Spice H2O area, or is that area always a party atmosphere?

If the Spice H2O adult area is loud during the day, are there any other nice, relaxing areas to lounge during the day, with nearby hot tubs? I'd rather not have to pay for Vibe Beach Club if there's someplace complimentary to relax.

My husband and I really enjoy the Serenity decks on Carnival ships. They are generally quiet and relaxing. We don't care for the LOUD music played elsewhere.

Will we find a relaxing atmosphere like this during the day in the Spice H2O area, or is that area always a party atmosphere?

If the Spice H2O adult area is loud during the day, are there any other nice, relaxing areas to lounge during the day, with nearby hot tubs? I'd rather not have to pay for Vibe Beach Club if there's someplace complimentary to relax.

Unfortunately, I can't really speak to this. Temperatures were in the 30's when I sailed, so nobody was out there. There's a giant movie screen that plays tranquil scenes of skies and beaches and the like, and it seems like it would lend itself to a very serene atmosphere, at least during the day. (At night, I believe it's where the theme parties are hosted.)

Hi there,

No problem! The pools are set up in the middle of the pool deck, and there are two rows of chairs on either side. The first row is in the sun, but the second (against the windows) is generally in the shade, depending on the sun's angle. The area was deserted on my sailing (thanks to the chilly weather), so I can't comment on how crowded it might be, but there was a decent number of chairs.

Thank you very much Ashley for your update and for all your info.

We are definitely looking to be cruising on the Getaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Does anyone know when we can book the cake/cupcake decorating classes? We cruise on April 5th, and I would prefer to book before that! I don't want to miss it! thanks!;)

There will be three different classes offered on each cruise, one during each sea day. Prices are below and include a Carlo's apron that you get to keep.

Family Cupcake Class (first sea day) - $39 per person

Beach Cake (second sea day) - $69 per person

Dots and Bows Advanced Class (third sea day) - $69 per person

Obviously we don't really know yet for the Getaway, but on the Epic I've always found Spice to be quite relaxed during the day. It's generally busy, but no partying.

There is less seating in Spice on the Getaway, so it probably will be harder to get somewhere to sit.

Full album: https://www.facebook.com/friendsofcruisecritic/media_set?set=a.10101476950835536.1025934674&type=3

Menus only: https://www.facebook.com/friendsofcruisecritic/media_set?set=a.10201926160288727.1073741827.1025934674&type=3

Hi Ashley,

I have really enjoyed looking at the pics you've posted. Can you tell me what's in the dispensers in the shower area of the oceanview cabins.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Do you know what type of coffee machine they have provided in mid ship balcony rooms? Can we take our own filters and Starbucks ground coffee pack? Would that work in those machines? I do that when I go for long vacations and use the effectively in my hotel room machines. This is that early morning coffee I am talking about :)

thanks

Full album: https://www.facebook.com/friendsofcruisecritic/media_set?set=a.10101476950835536.1025934674&type=3

Menus only: https://www.facebook.com/friendsofcruisecritic/media_set?set=a.10201926160288727.1073741827.1025934674&type=3

Hi Ashley,

I have really enjoyed looking at the pics you've posted. Can you tell me what's in the dispensers in the shower area of the oceanview cabins.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi there,

One is shower gel, and one is shampoo. I'm unsure which brand, but I'd recommend bringing some lotion (or your own shower gel) with you, as the shower gel is pretty hash on skin.