Getaway Questions: Ask 'Em Here!

any word about the schedule/price for the cake/cupcake decorating classes?

There will be three different classes offered on each cruise, one during each sea day. Prices are below and include a Carlo's apron that you get to keep.

Family Cupcake Class (first sea day) - $39 per person

Beach Cake (second sea day) - $69 per person

Dots and Bows Advanced Class (third sea day) - $69 per person

Would love to get whatever details anyone has on the iConcierge app, don't know anything about this or what it does.

Also, any details on Vibe would be appreciated. How much? Can we reserve ahead of time? Etc.

Thanks!

Just to follow up, I've verified that Vibe must be booked once you're onboard. No pre-booking is available. (I'd advise doing it shortly after you get on the ship since there are limited spots.)

Thanks for taking our questions and hopefully getting some answers. Could you ask if they are planning any theme parties (such as white or glow), pub crawls, martini tastings, etc. Also, we will be sailing during St. Patrick's Day. Will there be anything planned for us Irish or the want to be Irish for a day passengers? Thanks again!

Hello again,

To be more specific, I'm told there will be the following themes on Getaway sailings:

Norwegians Night Out

Latin Night

70's Party

80's Party (with fireworks)

Glow

Dancing With the Stars

For St. Patrick's Day, I'm told there are generally some pool deck games and drink specials, but I still haven't heard anything official about the party I mentioned earlier. If I hear anything else, I'll update you.

We are looking at booking our first aft facing balcony room. The website indicates the square footage is between 250-516 sq ft and was wondering, since the aft is tiered does the balcony get bigger on the lower decks or does the room get a little bigger or both?

Thanks!

G

The balconies get larger the lower you go. :)

It's interesting you're saying that. I hopped on Breakaway with some coworkers for a two-nighter after I returned from Getaway, and another woman from the office had the same issue. Do you have an iPhone? If so, it might be an Apple issue. She was getting iMessages, Facebook alerts, etc., all while in airplane mode. The Internet cafe manager told her it was normal, but she was worried about getting hit with roaming fees, so she ended up just shutting her phone off.

Yes iPhone 5. But it also happened on my son's Samsung Galaxy S3. When we got home I checked all data usage for the week on our cell provider account and there was no data usage at all. it is on the NCL side for sure that permits the leakage. We too also had the Facebook notifications, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would love dailies for the 10-12yr old Splash Academy - if they have some could you post some photos please??? :)

Leanne

If you can get any Dailies with activity schedules and post them, it would be most appreciated!!

Hi there,

I apologize for this in advance, but I'm having problems uploading photos directly to the boards, so ... I've posted them here, on one of Cruise Critic's pages: https://www.facebook.com/friendsofcruisecritic/media_set?set=a.10101476950835536.1025934674&type=3.

There are literally 1,000 photos in the album, so you'll have to wait a minute for them to load, but shots of the kids' activities and pics of the Freestyle Dailies are at the very bottom. (You'll probably have to zoom in a little.)

Please let me know if you have any trouble viewing or reading them, and I'll try to figure something else out.

Need to know exact type of coffee maker I can get in my room. Will have a balcony room. Yes, I know there is room service but I would prefer to make my own first cup of the day.

My son tells me there are no refrigerators in regular cruise rooms. Is this true of newer ships like Getaway. If no refrigerator, how does one keep milk/half and half fresh for coffee? How about keeping bottled water cold?

WiFi in rooms? Would love to bring my tablet to check my local news and emails while in room. Will there be a weeklong WiFi package that can be purchased? If so, what is price?

Coffeemakers are only found in balcony cabins and higher (although you can request one from your cabin steward if you're in anything lower than a balcony). In balconies and mini-suites, the coffeemakers are Hamilton Beach Commercial brand (see first two links), and they make one cup at a time using packets. Suites have Lavazza Blue machines that can make espresso (see second two links).

All cabins have refrigerators (fifth link). However, you'll have to ask your steward to unlock yours and remove its contents so you can store milk, etc.

Wi-Fi is available shipwide, including cabins. (See last two photos for prices and instructions.)

I apologize for all the links. I was having issues uploading to the boards, so I dumped the photos in an album until I can figure out what's up. If you have problems viewing them, please let me know. (You'll have to be logged in to Facebook to see them, I think. If you don't have Facebook, let me know, and I'll figure something else out.)

Edited by ashley@cruisecritic

If you have the chance, will you ask if there has been extra sound proofing for the spa mini suites since they are the deck below the pool area? I am hoping for a quiet time and am a bit concerned about the pool & bar above on deck 15. We are in 14168. Thank you so much,

Hi there,

I've asked about this, and I was told they'll get back to me. Yours is the only question I'm still waiting on an answer for. I apologize for the wait, but I'll report back the second I get a yes or no. Thanks for being so patient!

Yes iPhone 5. But it also happened on my son's Samsung Galaxy S3. When we got home I checked all data usage for the week on our cell provider account and there was no data usage at all. it is on the NCL side for sure that permits the leakage. We too also had the Facebook notifications, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's so strange! Glad you weren't charged for it. Seems like some folks might have found a loophole that will let them get texts and Facebook alerts for free with the app! :)

We've booked cabin #14750 on Getaway in June. I've been trying to find some pictures of the angled balcony. Any of the angled balcony rooms pics will do. Thanks for the help.

Is this one of them:

? It's cabin 16100 - Haven Owner's Suite. Can't tell if it's just the angle I took it from or if it's actually angled. (I saw so many cabins that day that I can't remember what was what!)

There isn't any formal nights on Getaway? I didn't know this. So we won't have to worry about taking suits or booking tux?

Nope! No official formal nights. I didn't see anyone in suits or tuxes, but most people do get a little dressed up to go to dinner, especially at the for-fee restaurants. Men usually go for button-down shirts with khakis (or even blazers, no ties), and women generally opt for casual dresses or nice pants and a top with nice shoes. Do whatever makes you feel most at home. That's Norwegian's whole philosophy -- freestyle! :)

Ooh, I would like to know about the pub crawl too.

Also, I want to know where to buy the Vibe passes and how early I'll have to get on to try to get them. I'm not planning on bum rushing any crowds, that's for sure, but I would like to purchase them. :)

The pub crawl is $25 and includes five bars, according to the front desk on the ship. Check your Freestyle Daily for day and time.

As for Vibe, there are only 60 spots available, so you'll want to book as soon as you can after you get onboard at Guest Services on Deck 6. It's $20 per person, per day, or $79 per person for a week. That includes first-come, first-served use of umbrellas but does not include cabana access. A daily cabana rental is $99 ($79 on port days) or $299 for a week for up to two people.

On the Getaway 3/8/14 and looking forward to the sun, sea, and alcohol.

I realize that the exact ship board schedule has not been finalized and more will come out after the initial selling out of Miami on 2/8, but from those that have been on the Breakaway, does anyone have any information as to the schedule and cost of the Pub Crawl?

I have heard that the Hot White Party is usually the next to last night (sea day). Is this also the same night that they do the fireworks also?

Thanks for any input.

Hi Dan,

Clint here, also from Atlanta. Thanks for asking the two questions of interest to me. Looking forward to cruise, also, especially after last week. See you there!

Hi Dan and Clint,

The pub crawl is $25 and includes stops at five bars. Check your Freestyle Daily for day and time.

Looking at the list of theme nights Norwegian gave me, it doesn't seem like White Hot is offered anymore (unless that's another name for Glow?). Here's the list:

Norwegians Night Out

Latin Night

70's Party

Glow

Dancing With the Stars

Hello again,

To be more specific, I'm told there will be the following themes on Getaway sailings:

Norwegians Night Out

Latin Night

70's Party

Glow

Dancing With the Stars

For St. Patrick's Day, I'm told there are generally some pool deck games and drink specials, but I still haven't heard anything official about the party I mentioned earlier. If I hear anything else, I'll update you.

Any idea what days these would be? Norwegians Night Out I'm guessing is day 2, but what about the others?

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Just to follow up, I've verified that Vibe must be booked once you're onboard. No pre-booking is available. (I'd advise doing it shortly after you get on the ship since there are limited spots.)

Thanks for the additional info! Where onboard do we go to book? Ignore this question, I saw the answer in one of your follow up posts. Thanks.

Edited by RichardE954

That's so strange! Glad you weren't charged for it. Seems like some folks might have found a loophole that will let them get texts and Facebook alerts for free with the app! :)

You can have the phone in airplane mode, but keep wifi turned on. This is how we use our phones when abroad. That way you can pick up stray wifi signals, like if someone has a personal hotspot and such. You can use iMessage, facebook message, email, internet, etc. - anything that doesn't HAVE to involve data. It sounds like you did on accident what we do on purpose. Everyone should do this to avoid charges, but have the possibility of retaining some communication, as long as you get a free wifi signal somewhere.

You can have the phone in airplane mode, but keep wifi turned on. This is how we use our phones when abroad. That way you can pick up stray wifi signals, like if someone has a personal hotspot and such. You can use iMessage, facebook message, email, internet, etc. - anything that doesn't HAVE to involve data. It sounds like you did on accident what we do on purpose. Everyone should do this to avoid charges, but have the possibility of retaining some communication, as long as you get a free wifi signal somewhere.

Yes, that's what everyone who uses iConcierge has to do in order for the app to work -- airplane mode on, Wi-Fi on. But some people's phones allowed messages or Facebook alerts to come through, while others didn't. My friend with an iPhone was getting messages and alerts, but my HTC One wasn't having it. Lol. :)

Any idea what days these would be? Norwegians Night Out I'm guessing is day 2, but what about the others?

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

I don't know specifically, but I'd assume they're in order of when they'll take place. They might vary by sailing, though, so check your Freestyle Daily. :)

Thanks for the additional info! Where onboard do we go to book? Ignore this question, I saw the answer in one of your follow up posts. Thanks.

Hi Ashley,

Just want to say Thank you for answering my question and those of others. This is so helpful and will enable me to be more prepared for my upcoming cruise. Much appreciated.

You're very welcome. I'm glad it was helpful! :)

I'm new to this message board and threads ...looking for information on where to stay in Miami before our cruise sets sail ?? Can you send me in the right direction please !! THANK YOU

Hi there,

I'd suggest meandering over to the "Florida Departures" area: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495.

Also, we just did a Q&A with folks from the Greater Miami CVB. There might be something on those threads that's helpful to you: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=931.