20/20 story

Jimmy Geegitz

I thought it was at least a lot more balanced than some recent cruise-related stories. If you look closely at the video of her falling, she appears to come over the railing at waist height, which to me says she was possibly standing on the chair on the balcony to look over.

I love that her lawyer said the ship "oversold" her alcohol. If they had cut her off, she'd probably be suing them for that!

My guess the theory for liability and damages not so much for her falling overboard but rather undef Dram Shop Liability or similar which makes a business which sells alcoholic drinks or a host who serves liquor to a drinker who is obviously intoxicated or close to it, strictly liable to anyone injured by the drunken patron or guest. Saying she was over served thus intoxicated points that way. Along the lines but for Carnivals bar tenders serving more & more alcohol she would not have been drunk & therefore would never have gone overboard

Sharon

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Gee, I step away from my laptop to load the dishwasher and do some laundry and miss it. Wonder if the video will be on demand....we have FIOS

Having done many cruises and enjoyed a few libations on our balcony, I find it hard to understand how anyone could "fall over" the ship......maybe on the floor! Would love to see it myself.

Angine see the overboard story? The girl sas drunk. Cant believe she is suing Carnival

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

Couldn't believe she is suing and couldn't believe they gave her air-time. But I also couldn't believe how many people fall overboard!

She feels it took too long for the ship to come back and get her. I imagine it would take time to report the fall, verify there was indeed a fall. Should a ship turn around without evidence of a fall? Yep, I can see it now, pranksters saying so and so fell off just to see what a ship will do.

My guess the theory for liability and damages not so much for her falling overboard but rather undef Dram Shop Liability or similar which makes a business which sells alcoholic drinks or a host who serves liquor to a drinker who is obviously intoxicated or close to it, strictly liable to anyone injured by the drunken patron or guest. Saying she was over served thus intoxicated points that way. Along the lines but for Carnivals bar tenders serving more & more alcohol she would not have been drunk & therefore would never have gone overboard

Sharon

You seem to forget that US law does not apply outside of the US.

Sharon

Agree that is what her lawyer will claim. But I do see a major problem for their case. Unless she was sitting at the bar and ordering the drinks her self, or being served by the the same waiter, no way for the bar staff to know how much she had had to drink.

I do think I recall when this happened, and was posted about on here. And if I recall at the time her friends admitted that when they first called and reported her missing they said they thought she might have fallen overboard. And 90 mins. to turn a cruise ship around and find someone in the ocean is not a real lengthy amout of time. A 1,000 foot long cruise ship doing 20 knotts would take a could 30 mins. just to turn a 360.

Accountability for one's own actions is a thing of the past. I think it's gone the way of the dinosaur, so very few even know what it means anymore. She should feel shamed for behaving that way at thirty years old and be grateful she was rescued at all.

Accountability for one's own actions is a thing of the past. I think it's gone the way of the dinosaur, so very few even know what it means anymore. She should feel shamed for behaving that way at thirty years old and be grateful she was rescued at all.

So agree with the lack of personal accountability issues in the world today.

i would like to see her sign and sail card/bartab. That would tell alot. Also was she off the ship in say Cozumel drinking all day? 5 cruises and the last one cheers program and we were never drunk except the day we went to Mr Sanchos AI in Cozumel, alot of people were. Smuggled liquor in the room? Bottles ordered from Bon Voyage? At a bar at home the bartenders have to worry about you driving home. Not so on the ship. Friends could also of got her drinks if she was too drunk.

It seems that the technology isn't completed yet; which is why they don't have it. I think they should have somebody monitoring the video cameras.

Also, she may have been over served alcohol. However, they SAVED her life. If that happened to me, I would feel such a huge sense of appreciation and gratitude. I'd feel like they were my heroes.

I can't see suing a company that just saved your life. I think a thank you card would be in order. :rolleyes:

Edited by AmandaEnzo