20/20 story

Jimmy Geegitz

Does anyone not blame Carnival ?

I just watched the story on my DVR and taking 20 minutes to tell the captain AFTER staff was informed then check the camera, then start to try to rescue her !!! It should have been immediate ,once someone says they saw someone overboard things should have been taken seriously from that moment on.Regardless sober or drunk the cruise line didn't respond they way they should have

Nope, do not blame Carnival in the slightest. If she can't be responsible for her drinking, she should learn to live with the consequences!

If it was a 4 year old kid at 11am that fell overboard and it took 20 minutes to decide what to do would you feel the same?

And regardless of her state especially if she was drunk and not properly flagged by staff the cruise line is even more responsible .Its against the law to serve an intoxicated person,(bartender for over 20 years here and I know the laws and rules)

Yep. The blame there would fall squarely on the parents for not keeping an eye on their tyke. Any other hypothetical situations you wish to conjure up? :rolleyes:

If it was a 4 year old kid at 11am that fell overboard and it took 20 minutes to decide what to do would you feel the same?

And regardless of her state especially if she was drunk and not properly flagged by staff the cruise line is even more responsible .Its against the law to serve an intoxicated person,(bartender for over 20 years here and I know the laws and rules)

Yep. The blame there would fall squarely on the parents for not keeping an eye on their tyke. Any other hypothetical situations you wish to conjure up? :rolleyes:

BTW, no state law (nor federal law) covers incidents at sea outside of US waters.

Sorry for the double post. tried to edit original post and database went haywire and posted the edit as a second post.

Edited by Out to sea!

Does anyone not blame Carnival ?

I just watched the story on my DVR and taking 20 minutes to tell the captain AFTER staff was informed then check the camera, then start to try to rescue her !!! It should have been immediate ,once someone says they saw someone overboard things should have been taken seriously from that moment on.Regardless sober or drunk the cruise line didn't respond they way they should have

20 minutes was the time from when she went overboard till the captain was informed. While that seams like a long time frame it really isn't. Lets take a logical look.

her friend and/or feince who both we must conclude were themselfs drunk. Call the purser's desk, most likly yealling that she went overboard. That time of night no you don't just take a person's word for it you investige. So security goes to the cabin total time guessing 4 mins. Another 5-6 mins passes to clam them down enougth to find out what happened. Call to the office to check video tapes. Would most likely look at the past 15 mins. So say another 5 mins. We are now at the 15min mark. Call to the captain's cabin maybe 2-3 mins for him to answer the phone. Total elspe time 18 mins. 73 mins later she is back on board. Given the amount of time it would take to turn a cruise ship around and get back to where they were 18 mins. prior. The officers, crew and Carnival should be very proud of how they handled this sitution.

Nope, do not blame Carnival in the slightest. If she can't be responsible for her drinking, she should learn to live with the consequences!

Really? One should have a birthday on a cruise and drink a little too much and fall overboard and maybe die as a result!! That's a little harsh of a consequence don't you think ?

Wouldn't you think with the cruise contract you love to bring up in most posts the cruise line would have to have safety measures to keep the passenger safe in case of an emergency right? If we need to follow the rules so do the cruise lines ;)

I hope she gets a million dollars for that 20 minutes it took staff to tell the captain someone was overboard :)

I hope she doesn't as the cruise line more then likely followed procedure for when highly intoxicated people report a person overboard.

Yes it is harsh consequences..so is killing someone by driving drunk. That is the price you pay for being an adult...assumed responsibility happens at that point

Looks to me she walked right into the balcony railing full speed and went over. Wonder if her door was propped open with a bungee cord or equivalent.

Drunk people do that to walls too. I believe bartender on land are not allowed to serve obviously drunk people. How many LIIT does it take to get drunk, BTW?

I'm sorry....but even if you are going "full speed" into the balcony railing, you are not going over. Those railings are chest height. She was either ON a chair, or sitting on the railing. Something doesn't make sense here. Even if I plowed out onto my balcony, full steam ahead, I am NOT going overboard, unless I WANT to.........:rolleyes: Just watching her interview, both her and her attorney, look sketchy!

Really? One should have a birthday on a cruise and drink a little too much and fall overboard and maybe die as a result!! That's a little harsh of a consequence don't you think ?

Wouldn't you think with the cruise contract you love to bring up in most posts the cruise line would have to have safety measures to keep the passenger safe in case of an emergency right? If we need to follow the rules so do the cruise lines ;)

I hope she gets a million dollars for that 20 minutes it took staff to tell the captain someone was overboard :)

Seriously, this is a pantload of nonsense.

Ok I figured it out. You're the victim. You must be because your comments are just as idiotic as the incident and the lawsuit.

Thank you. Better yet, a 4-year old would have had sense enough not to let this happen. This woman is an ungrateful idiot. I hope Carnival sues her. They should have left her in the water for shark bait. Not for even a nano second do I feel sorry for her or agree with her lawsuit...obviously:)

If a passenger is concerned about their safety, they shouldn't drink past what they can safely handle. It is obvious she was way past that point.

Where in the contract is there anything about a man overboard situation? Where is there anything in the contract about a cruise line being responsible for a customer's stupidity? Show me a rule that was violated by Carnival in the contract?

I hope the idiot loses and has to pay Carnival's legal fees. She should count her blessings because I would have left her stupid butt in the water.

Edited by Out to sea!

They tried to squeeze 'no jumping off the ship' in between 'don't put your finger in a light socket' and 'no camp fires in the cabin' but it would have added another whole page to the contract so the skipped it. :D

Most ships have a pamphlet or instruction that gives you a hint about what to do in instances like this.

First - in bold letters -- is Toss anything that will float overboard to mark the area where the person fell over. That also falls under the heading of "common sense".

No one has mentioned if her fiance did anything to help the crew locate her.

Most ships have a pamphlet or instruction that gives you a hint about what to do in instances like this.

First - in bold letters -- is Toss anything that will float overboard to mark the area where the person fell over. That also falls under the heading of "common sense".

He might have pushed her over. Not all matches are heavenly, you know. ;)

If a passenger is concerned about their safety, they shouldn't drink past what they can safely handle. It is obvious she was way past that point.
if her intoxication was as obvious as you say, why was she allowed to get to that stage?

Question, do the waitstaff receive a bonus for sales?

if her intoxication was as obvious as you say, why was she allowed to get to that stage?

My guess woulds be and this is only a guess. They were on the cruise for her Brithday. She says they were bar hopping. So my guess is, she made never had acutally gone and got a drink her self. Plus there are some people who one second you would think was stone cold sober and then next is laying face down on the floor. Had a G/F like that once. She could have 4 long Island ice teas and you wouldn't have know she had anything to drink. She would get half way thru number 5 and she was out like light.

They tried to squeeze 'no jumping off the ship' in between 'don't put your finger in a light socket' and 'no camp fires in the cabin' but it would have added another whole page to the contract so the skipped it. :D

Haha! Spot on. Although I think they should add a lie that states "You're at sea therefore support is limited so don't be stupid!". :D

In this case, if something had been tossed overboard, it would have been better for all if it had hit her in the head! Of course, then she would sue Carnival for providing a pamphlet stating someone should toss something overboard to help her. ;)

And of course, you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she didn't smuggle any booze onboard since you carried her luggage, correct? And since you were with her all night, you know positively that she bought all her drinks, in person, from the same bar staff, right? :rolleyes:

Secondly, since when did anyone lose the responsibility to cut themselves off when they've had too much? Why does everyone feel the need to point the blame at someone else when the responsibility rests solely on their shoulders?

Edited by Out to sea!

Aww they could fit it in

They have no surf boards allowed ,no throwing stars, brass knuckle, canoes or fireworks.I think they could find room in the paperwork for " in case of falling overboard just tread water for about 20 minutes then someone will alert the captain for further action". "Followed by don't over drink on a cruise or it may delay your rescue by 20 minutes" .Don't alcohol sales make up most of the revenue for cruise lines and are pushed day and night (even bottles to take home) ?

And of course, you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that she didn't smuggle any booze onboard since you carried her luggage, correct? And since you were with her all night, you know positively that she bought all her drinks, in person, from the same bar staff, right? :rolleyes:

Secondly, since when did anyone lose the responsibility to cut themselves off when they've had too much? Why does everyone feel the need to point the blame at someone else when the responsibility rests solely on their shoulders?

A guest loses responsibility when they drank too much.You hit the nail on the head

That's why bartenders(and drink servers) are trained and certified to know the warning signs of intoxication and the procedures to keep guests safe in such situations

My guess is their is a bartender or server who over served this girl and Carnival will pay nicely once the sign and sail records are revealed and cannot pass the blame to anyone else :)

Bartenders on shore stop serving so they won't drive away drunk. That's not in play on the ship.

This stupid person did something stupid and she thinks Carnival Corp didn't rescue her fast enough. She should go to church and light a candle.

Humankind needs to hope that people as stupid as her do not procreate.

We were told that by JH that they don't/can't serve the drunk if they appear drunk. This was spelled out when they were launching Cheers, even though the program may have been on the drawing board at the time.

Is this being made up as we go along?