Taking wine on board

Quantum Wino

We just got of the Emerald this morning after a wonderful 10 days in the Caribbean. Before leaving I looked at all the posts about taking wine on board and quite frankly it was a little confusing, so I would like to share what I did.

We arrived in Florida the night before our cruise. I had phoned Total Wine in Ft. Lauderdale the day before, placed an order and they had it waiting at our hotel when we arrived. As long as your order is over $200 delivery is free.

The next morning I taped a couple of luggage tags to the box and put it with our luggage. After getting on board, I received a message to go to security where I paid the $15 corkage per bottle over our allotted 2. It was very easy and they then had the box sent to our room.

This is what I used to do before the rules changed and never had a problem with the case of wine showing up in our stateroom. Lately we have been carrying it onboard paying the $15 for every bottle over the free 2. We paid in the terminal before boarding but after the security check. Thanks for the update.

On our Sun Princess cruise from Auckland, late in November, we took on 4 bottles of wine. We were not charged the $15 corkage on boarding but we were charged it in the dining room. fair enough, we were happy cruisers.

We has also checked a case on each of the cruises we have taken since the new rules have bee implemented with no problem whatsoever. Actually they seemed somewhat embarrassed about charging the corkage fee.

For most of our cruises (11 so far) on Princess, we had a dedicated "beer" suitcase and was able to carry it on board without any problems. Now, with the evident change in policy, we will adhere to the rules:eek: I will bring 2 bottles of wine onboard at embarkation so I can have wine in the room and my husband will buy buckets of beer. Fortunately we have shipboard credit again for our next cruise (military, stock, booking on board, travel agent gift, and a nice sum from our Princess Visa). No need to sneak any longer. We will play by the rules!

Since we are flying in the day we leave, I plan on packing the wine in my checked luggage. Have you had your luggage opened because of this before it was delivered to the room? I plan on Chardonnay only! Don't want to risk a Cabernet breaking.

Since we are flying in the day we leave, I plan on packing the wine in my checked luggage. Have you had your luggage opened because of this before it was delivered to the room? I plan on Chardonnay only! Don't want to risk a Cabernet breaking.

The info on the Princess site re: bringing wine onboard at embarkation does specify that it should be in your carry-on bag(s).

Saw that.....will take my chances. I am going to pack a boxed wine. Bota weighs approximately 6lb and I will pack accordingly. If they confiscate it the confiscate it.....but I don't want to root around in my luggage prior to the cruise just to pull out a box of wine.