Looking for something fun

UAcruiser

My adult daughter and I have been to Key West numerous times. The ship seems to dock very early and leave early. We have walked the shopping areas, rented bikes, had a few drinks in a local bar. Locals, what else is fun to do that can be done in the port time we have?

One or more of the schooners do pleasant harbor cruises during the day, about three or four hours. Sometimes they will invite you to help raise and lower the sails.

Or you can take a glass-bottomed boat to observe Key West's rich sea life.

I enjoy the conch train and its history lessons.

Climb the spiral stairs of the Key West light house for an amazing view. There is a small fee but it includes a tour of the light house keeper's cozy cottage.

We had a similar if not the same itinerary. We docked at 7:30 am and sailed at 1 pm, which only gave us until 12:00 pm to explore because we were docked at the Outer Mole and had to take the shuttle bus back out to the pier. We dissembarked as soon as possible (right around 7:45 am) hopped the shuttle which drops you off near Mallory Square. NOTHING was open, but our plans were to walk back (literally back track back from Mallory Square past the Outer Mole dock) to Blue Heaven. It was gorgeous out and a beautiful walk, so I'm not complaining, but we arrived at Blue Heaven around 8:15 ish and had an AWESOME Breakfast!! From there we just meandered back through Jamaican Village to Duval and wandered back toward Mallory Square. By this time a very few shops were starting to open (I think everything opened by 10 am or 10:30 am). We shopped and had some cocktails and hit the few places we wanted to in the hour and a half we had left before we had to catch the last shuttle.

Really way too short of a time. I so wanted to hit one or two other places to get some conch, but had to settle for the food truck right at the shuttle, and it was not terribly good. Just average deep fried everything.

Because nothing is open very early, I'd suggest making plans to have breakfast somewhere!