Unused On Board Credits

Pstcrik

Just off b2b2b.............

........nonrefundable was always used first.

........the refundable left over was credited back on each leg

........always use your account info on TV to follow the action of was happens with your nonrefundable/refundable.

Same experience for us on B2Bs.

We have had times that Guest Services prefers to offer the OBC refund in cash versus a credit card refund. We keep close track of our onboard account info and always check with Guest services the day prior to departure to find out how they prefer to handle the OBC refund (if any).

.......We had two types of OBC (Cruise Line $100.00 and TA $200.00) and at the end of the cruise attempted to redeem the unused monies $80.00, only to be informed the refundable OBC was monies first by the ship, with the balance $80.00 not used being of the non-refundable type.

Please all be aware.

Sorry that happened to you. Hope you can still get it refunded.

Like all the others who have posted here so far, our non-refundable OBC is always used first. I recall reading that it is the standard policy to do it that way.

But in the future, if you check your account on the screen in your stateroom regularly you can easily see which OBC they are using first.

The two types of OBC are coded differently.

As I recall, it was OBR for refundable and OBN for non-refundable, or maybe OBC-R and OBC-N -- in any case, just look to see whether the code has R or N.

Or if you prefer, you can ask Guest Relations for a printout of your account statement.

Then whenever you make charges with your seapass card, just look at your account to see which OBC has been reduced.

If it is the wrong one, or if you spot any other error, it is easy to go to Guest Relations and get it corrected right then instead of waiting until the end of the cruise when they are typically very busy.

If a misinformed clerk tries to tell you that they are supposed to use the refundable OBC first, ask to speak to the Guest Relations Manager, or even escalate to the Hotel Director if necessary, although that should not be necessary.

Hi Andy

Must raise an issue which still sticks in my craw.

We had two types of OBC (Cruise Line $100.00 and TA $200.00) and at the end of the cruise attempted to redeem the unused monies $80.00, only to be informed the refundable OBC was monies first by the ship, with the balance $80.00 not used being of the non-refundable type.

Please all be aware.

That's interesting as I've always been told they use nonrefundable, first.

I wonder where the truth is on that one.

I never have any left overs anyway :-) :-)

The two types of OBC are coded differently.

As I recall, it was OBR for refundable and OBN for non-refundable, or maybe OBC-R and OBC-N -- in any case, just look to see whether the code has R or N.

Yup, that's spot on. Look for the R or the N. Can't go wrong. :-)

how about a TA OBC on a B2B cruise - is it possible to transfer it to second part of the cruise - or will X refund it?

It cannot be transferred as to them, it's 2 different sailings (as it's a B2B). They will refund it if it's coded OBCR, but won't if it's OBCN. It depends on where the TA got the OBC from.

Is purchased OBC refundable?

Yes.

OBC from or provided by X is non-refundable so it needs to be used onboard to get its full value. Any OBC purchased by yourself, your TA or gifted from friends/family should be refundable and typically is applied to your onboard after any non-refundable OBC is used up.

Edited by robtulipe

Yes.

OBC from or provided by X is non-refundable so it needs to be used onboard to get its full value. Any OBC purchased by yourself, your TA or gifted from friends/family should be refundable and typically is applied to your onboard after any non-refundable OBC is used up.

Thank you!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just wondering how Celebrity handles unused On Board Credits at the end of a cruise. Would they credit back to the credit card you used to cover expenses or do they refund in cash ?

We cruised in December and prior to the end of our cruise, checked with guest relations on whether or not the OBC would be refunded to us. When we were advised it would not be, we went shopping on the ship and wound up spending all but 86 cents of the several hundred dollars we had remaining.