Beverage package, is it worth it?

molly5673

6-8 combo drinks with beer and liquor cAn be done easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I never said it couldn't be done, but that has to be the average for each day of your cruise, not just some of them. In general, unless you are a big drinker normally, it can catch up to you by the fourth or so day, but once again YMMV.

If you have the $385 (assuming it's a seven-day sailing) to spend without worrying about if you are "coming out ahead" and care more about peace of mind than scoring the best deal, then the drink package will always be the safest bet. It sounds like this is where you are coming from and that's great.

If someone is more budget minded and are trying to use the drink package as a way to save money, they may find themselves in a position of feeling obligated to over-indulge more often in order to "get their money's worth". It seems most people asking questions in these package threads are in the second camp and want an idea of how many drinks they would need to buy for it to be less money than paying for drinks a la carte. In addition, people in this camp should factor in the two bottles of wine they can take aboard per cabin, gratis sparkling wine at the art auctions, drinks at any C&A events they may have access to (depending on their C&A level), drinks included in excursions, and drinks purchased in port when factoring in the economic benefits of these packages.

In general, the packages are mainly for those who like convenience and are bigger drinkers (at least on vacation).

I never said it couldn't be done, but that has to be the average for each day of your cruise, not just some of them. In general, unless you are a big drinker normally, it can catch up to you by the fourth or so day, but once again YMMV.

If you have the $385 (assuming it's a seven-day sailing) to spend without worrying about if you are "coming out ahead" and care more about peace of mind than scoring the best deal, then the drink package will always be the safest bet. It sounds like this is where you are coming from and that's great.

If someone is more budget minded and are trying to use the drink package as a way to save money, they may find themselves in a position of feeling obligated to over-indulge more often in order to "get their money's worth". It seems most people asking questions in these package threads are in the second camp and want an idea of how many drinks they would need to buy for it to be less money than paying for drinks a la carte. In addition, people in this camp should factor in the two bottles of wine they can take aboard per cabin, gratis sparkling wine at the art auctions, drinks at any C&A events they may have access to (depending on their C&A level), drinks included in excursions, and drinks purchased in port when factoring in the economic benefits of these packages.

In general, the packages are mainly for those who like convenience and are bigger drinkers (at least on vacation).

I agree! I wouldn't do it on a 7 day cruise. I can't drink that much everyday . Have done it on a 4 day and will try it out on a 5 day cruise

Are you allowed to bring bottles of water onto the ship? I would love to bring a case - I could not find the answer on the RCI site.

The official answer from RCI is "no", but the vast majority of people who posted about bringing water on had no issue bringing it on in checked luggage as long as it was factory sealed. The even sell 24-packs inside the cruiseport in San Juan, so I would say AOS and Jewel don't enforce that rule.

Edited by Dajbman22

Are you allowed to bring bottles of water onto the ship? I would love to bring a case - I could not find the answer on the RCI site.

Technically - no. In practice - get a case, leave the shrink wrap intact (so as not to make them suspicious that its alcohol in water bottles), put a RCI luggage tag on it and give it to the porter with everything else. The consensus is, it will virtually always show up in your cabin with no questions asked.

EDIT: Oops, beat me to it by a few seconds! :)

The official answer from RCI is "no", but the vast majority of people who posted about bringing water on had no issue bringing it on in checked luggage as long as it was factory sealed. The even sell 24-packs inside the cruiseport in San Juan, so I would say AOS and Jewel don't enforce that rule.
Edited by LetsGetWet!

I agree! I wouldn't do it on a 7 day cruise. I can't drink that much everyday . Have done it on a 4 day and will try it out on a 5 day cruise
If you're on a 7 day cruise, you do not have to purchase the drinks package for all 7 days. You can buy it on any day of the cruise with a minimum of 4 days left. The only caveat is that you buy it for the remainder of the cruise. So you can buy a la carte for days 1-3 and then buy the package for days 4-7.

If you're on a 7 day cruise, you do not have to purchase the drinks package for all 7 days. You can buy it on any day of the cruise with a minimum of 4 days left. The only caveat is that you buy it for the remainder of the cruise. So you can buy a la carte for days 1-3 and then buy the package for days 4-7.

I wish you could purchase the package for day 1-4, because by day 6/7 I've had enough! But I suppose that's how they make money on the package.

I think the implication is that younger people tend to have a higher tolerance, drink more than older individuals. This is obviously a gross generalization, but I can see the poster was implying $400 was on the higher end of a bar bill in his post.

Never drank more than 2 or 3 drinks a year until I turned 50. Now I'm getting the premium package. :D

Just booked this cruise for Dec 2014 /Caribbean, got the select drinks package free for the week for the 2 of us.

Can we upgrade once on the ship to the ultimate package or the next one up.

If we stay on the select package is cava/sparkling wine on the list, i see its $12 per glass, and only allowed up to $8, can i pay the extra $4 or not, any advice.

thanks

Melanie

Just booked this cruise for Dec 2014 /Caribbean, got the select drinks package free for the week for the 2 of us.

Can we upgrade once on the ship to the ultimate package or the next one up.

If we stay on the select package is cava/sparkling wine on the list, i see its $12 per glass, and only allowed up to $8, can i pay the extra $4 or not, any advice.

thanks

Melanie

The Select package allows you to pay the difference between $8 and any more expensive glass of wine/champagne.

Just buy the package!

These threads always crack me up. How much are you already into the cruise for? 3, 4, 5K? So what if you miss by a drink or two,(say $135 vs. $140), you may be out a whole $5!

My DW and I drink enough coffee, non-alcoholic drinks, water and coke products when we are on the ship, that I am not worried what I owe at the end since I have already paid for most beverages. I do not drink alcohol, however, my DW will have a glass of wine with dinner. (We bring the two bottles of wine aloud on board which helps off set the glass price.)

Enjoy the cruise!

Erik, I loved your response. I was "researching" whether it was worth it or not too and you are absolutely right! It will allow all of us (including my kids) to get what they want without having to worry about it.

Beth

Erik, I loved your response. I was "researching" whether it was worth it or not too and you are absolutely right! It will allow all of us (including my kids) to get what they want without having to worry about it.

Beth

3,4,5k?? Lol not me more like $1200 for a 5 day cruise and I get the package.

Ok I asked this question on another thread- haven't seen an answer yet-

anyone know if the coffee/espresso drinks with liquor- Irish coffee, bourbon mint mocha etc are considered an alcohol drink- and hence covered under both drink packages (premium & ultimate) or considered a specialty coffee & only under the ultimate package. Saw these drinks in a picture someone posted of the menu board for the Oasis Donut Shop- not sure if they are available at other bars.

Thanks- we leave in 2 weeks- can't wait especially since they are saying we are getting more snow on Monday.

Nancy

Is the only Diet fountain soda available Diet Coke? I need to watch my caffeine intake so I was wondering if Diet Sprite was available with the packages and souvenir cup?

Diet Sprite (and Sprite Zero) are available with the packages on the 8 ships with a Freestyle machine. However I don't believe Diet Sprite is available as part of the package on ships without a Freestyle machine. I've read that people who have a package have been able to request Diet Sprite and are sometimes given a can, but I don't believe this is a universal practice.

Diet Sprite (and Sprite Zero) are available with the packages on the 8 ships with a Freestyle machine. However I don't believe Diet Sprite is available as part of the package on ships without a Freestyle machine. I've read that people who have a package have been able to request Diet Sprite and are sometimes given a can, but I don't believe this is a universal practice.

I take it that EOS does not have a Freestyle machine? Thanks!

Ok I asked this question on another thread- haven't seen an answer yet-

anyone know if the coffee/espresso drinks with liquor- Irish coffee, bourbon mint mocha etc are considered an alcohol drink- and hence covered under both drink packages (premium & ultimate) or considered a specialty coffee & only under the ultimate package. Saw these drinks in a picture someone posted of the menu board for the Oasis Donut Shop- not sure if they are available at other bars.

Thanks- we leave in 2 weeks- can't wait especially since they are saying we are getting more snow on Monday.

Nancy

Hi nmuller, I asked a similar question in the past and never really got a definitive answer. I was going to email RCCL and ask but haven't gotten around to it yet as I don't sail for a couple of months but you might want to try that. If nothing else, if they say yes it might be useful to have it in writing in case they're not sure themselves on board (I've heard there are a few teething problems with the new packages still while crew get to grips with them).

If you do find out, let us know :)