When to insure full cost of cruise.

cjmayes51

Last week I bookend a 10 day Celebrity cruise for 3/27/15. Since our parents are in their mid 80's, I really want coverage mainly for the possibility that something happens to one of them around that time. A friend told me that I should just cover the $900 down payment now and the balance just before final payment, does that sound right?

Charlie

I would suggest that you carefully read the terms of the policy you are considering. Some insurance may require that the entire amount be insured when you buy the coverage ... and others permit you to cover only actual outlays you have made, with the provision that additional travel costs be covered within a specified timefrime after making those payments.

If preserving the pre-existing condition waiver is important, you must read the insurance info to see what might jeopardize that coverage.

Buying the insurance now will keep your options open the widest, especially when it comes to the pre-existing condition waiver you'll need with policies that include non-traveling family members in pre-ex condition exclusions.

Generally, only non-refundable payments you have already made need to be insured, as payments you haven't made aren't a risk.

Is old age a pre existing condition? , Both my in laws and my mother are just older. No cancer, no major medical issues other then being in the mid to late 80's. :confused: Charlie

Edited by cjmayes51

Old age in and of itself isn't a pre-existing condition, but any medical complaints or treatments during the pre-ex look-back period, including things like adjustments to blood pressure meds (could be a pre-ex for a stroke) could disqualify a claim.