Travel without a passport

kaclj5

My spouse and I are first time cruisers. We will be leaving from and returning to Port Canaveral. We were going to get our expedited passports, but our parents names on our certified birth certicates. We do not have enough time to send for birth certificates AND apply for passports. My question is can we travel with our birth certificates, marriage license and drivers license?

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling from and returning directly from a U.S. via the same port. However, it is best if you travel with a passport during their cruise. If you must disembark the ship before their cruise ends due to an emergency you will need a passport to fly back to the U.S. You should call Carnival for additional information. My wife has traveled without a passport we would bring her birth cert. with a raised seal, marriage lic., and driver's lic.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by JMAE

We have been on 9 cruises and my wife got her passport for our 10/2013 cruise. As long as the ship departs and returns to the same port a passport has not been required. But is always best to have one. Also, my kids never cruised with passports (8 times). We all now have them.

Well as far as i saw on the news a few weeks ago, as of Jan 16 everyone is required to have a passport due to alot of people using others identities with birth cert. don't get me wrong maybe i misunderstood but thats what i rapidly saw.

Hope you can get that passport on time

I thought some cruises required passports. I'm thinking I heard if there's a stop in belieze is one of them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Well as far as i saw on the news a few weeks ago, as of Jan 16 everyone is required to have a passport due to alot of people using others identities with birth cert. don't get me wrong maybe i misunderstood but thats what i rapidly saw.

Not so on both of these

I thought some cruises required passports. I'm thinking I heard if there's a stop in belieze is one of them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

You do not need a passport to travel to Belieze on a closed loop cruise. A state issued birth certificate and drivers license is fine.

Not true. Here is a link to exactly what documentation is needed:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

Be sure your birth certificate is government issued and NOT one of the hospital certificates often given out. Usually it comes from a state board of health or department of vital statistics type place.

You can still do a closed loop cruise from the United States as U.S. Citizen with the driver's license and birth certificate.

Do keep in mind as others have mentioned that you may be delayed getting back to the U.S. should you need to fly home mid-cruise for any type of emergency. The state dept will help you get emergency passports issued for this but it might not be as fast as you'd like and there's considerable expense involved.

The other thing to keep in mind is missing the ship. Not sure where you are located, but should you miss embarkation for some reason, the only ports you could fly to would be St. Thomas and San Juan to catch the ship. The state dept will help in emergencies with issuing passports to get you home, missing the ship and flying to a foreign port isn't one of those emergencies.