Ocean Raft Adventure in Skagway

Yo Adrienne

We are considering taking the Ocean Raft Adventure in Skagway in early May. It's a high speed zodiac boat ride through the Lynn Canal. We are a married couple in our early 50s and in fairly good health.

Has anyone ever done this excursion? What did you think? Do you think it would be too intense for us...?

All thoughts are appreciated...Thanks.:)

If you search on Lynn Canal, I had a post and someone responded who had done this activity and raved about it.

Thank you for the suggestion...! :) I went and looked--and I even remember seeing the Tripadvisor review what one one of the responders mentioned....!

We're not "thrillseekers", but having seen the videos and read the reviews, we're definitely leaning toward doing it...! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I booked the same excursion and about your age, so I am also interested in the replies.

Just got back from our cruise and we did do the Ocean Raft Adventure in Skagway...! It was PHENOMENAL...! Don't know if you've already been on your cruise, but if not, you're in for a real treat...! :)

Just got back from our cruise and we did do the Ocean Raft Adventure in Skagway...! It was PHENOMENAL...! Don't know if you've already been on your cruise, but if not, you're in for a real treat...! :)

Thanks for posting your comments, this is one excursion we have been considering. Was the ride very bumpy? What time of day did you take your excursion? What did you see on the ride?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Thanks for posting your comments, this is one excursion we have been considering. Was the ride very bumpy? What time of day did you take your excursion? What did you see on the ride?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

The day we took the trip--last week--was remarkably nice for that time of year. It was about 70 degrees and sunny with very little wind. Still, out on the water, it was very cool. The suits they give you to wear, though, will keep you warm. They also offer gloves, hats and goggles--in case you need them.

The water was VERY calm that day, too, so the ride was very smooth. We did pass over some wake from other boats that went by, but it was not what I would call bumpy at all. If it were windier and colder, I suspect, the ride would have been much rougher...but even that would be great fun...! :)

Our excursion was at 3 in the afternoon, but we saw their other groups leaving at 10 and 12:30 as well...the weather was beautiful at those times, too, so I don't know that there's really a perfect time of the day. Their boat seats about 16 (I think), so space is limited and they DO book up--so if you decide to go, I'd book immediately.

My only real regret was that we didn't see any whales...but of course, that's not the operators' fault. We did, however, see seals, sea lions, lots of birds, and even a crab swimming in the water. The boat takes you right up to the shoreline in places, so you get some beautiful views of waterfalls and snow-covered mountains, as well as beautiful views up and down the canals. There is a naturalist on board and she pointed out all sorts of things...made the trip more than just a joy-ride. They'll go fast, they'll go slow, they'll do some circles, but they're very well-trained and certified, so you know you're gonna be safe and comfortable.

Overall, I have to say that this is absolutely a DO NOT MISS excursion...I'd do it again in a heartbeat...! :)

The day we took the trip--last week--was remarkably nice for that time of year. It was about 70 degrees and sunny with very little wind. Still, out on the water, it was very cool. The suits they give you to wear, though, will keep you warm. They also offer gloves, hats and goggles--in case you need them.

The water was VERY calm that day, too, so the ride was very smooth. We did pass over some wake from other boats that went by, but it was not what I would call bumpy at all. If it were windier and colder, I suspect, the ride would have been much rougher...but even that would be great fun...! :)

Our excursion was at 3 in the afternoon, but we saw their other groups leaving at 10 and 12:30 as well...the weather was beautiful at those times, too, so I don't know that there's really a perfect time of the day. Their boat seats about 16 (I think), so space is limited and they DO book up--so if you decide to go, I'd book immediately.

My only real regret was that we didn't see any whales...but of course, that's not the operators' fault. We did, however, see seals, sea lions, lots of birds, and even a crab swimming in the water. The boat takes you right up to the shoreline in places, so you get some beautiful views of waterfalls and snow-covered mountains, as well as beautiful views up and down the canals. There is a naturalist on board and she pointed out all sorts of things...made the trip more than just a joy-ride. They'll go fast, they'll go slow, they'll do some circles, but they're very well-trained and certified, so you know you're gonna be safe and comfortable.

Overall, I have to say that this is absolutely a DO NOT MISS excursion...I'd do it again in a heartbeat...! :)

Thank you for your detailed reply, I appreciate it very much.

Thank you for your detailed reply, I appreciate it very much.

Glad my reply was helpful...Just posted my review of the excursion on Tripadvisor...here's the link.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60877-d2202894-r206503362-Ocean_Raft_Alaska-Skagway_Alaska.html#REVIEWS

If you have any other questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask...! We just loved it...!

Glad my reply was helpful...Just posted my review of the excursion on Tripadvisor...here's the link.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60877-d2202894-r206503362-Ocean_Raft_Alaska-Skagway_Alaska.html#REVIEWS

If you have any other questions about it, please don't hesitate to ask...! We just loved it...!

Just read the review, thanks for the link.

Thank you for the reviews. We will be on this excursion in 2 weeks, we are so excited.

One question, what type of camera did you bring on this excursion. Are you able to bring a camera that does not fit in your pocket. We have a camera with a zoom lens, but I am concerned that we may not have anywhere to store it during the high speed portion of the trip. Thank you for your replies.

Thank you for the reviews. We will be on this excursion in 2 weeks, we are so excited.

One question, what type of camera did you bring on this excursion. Are you able to bring a camera that does not fit in your pocket. We have a camera with a zoom lens, but I am concerned that we may not have anywhere to store it during the high speed portion of the trip. Thank you for your replies.

We brought a couple of point and shoot cameras (one was a bit oversized, but I'm sure it wasn't as big as what you would have), so they fit easily in pockets. I wore mine around my neck, then tucked it into my suit when we were moving; hubby just tucked his into a pocket. They do restrict what you can bring along on the boat (nothing big and bulky, like bags and back-packs), and while you're suiting up, they give you bins to put your things in for storage while you're on the boat. (These do not go with you.)

My best suggestion would be to write to Ocean Raft directly via their website--or call them. They're VERY responsive and VERY friendly and they would be able to give you the best answer regarding this. They really want you to enjoy their excursion, so they'll give you the best advice...! :)

We did this excursion on May 17, 2014, albeit in Sitka. I think it is pretty much the same as the one in Skagway. It was fantastic. We also, luckily, had a beautiful weather day -- blue skies and smooth seas. So, it really wasn't bumpy at all. Saw huge amounts of sea otters and all kinds of wonderful birds. The suits they give you keep you very warm. Someone on our zodiac had a very large camera (definitely not pocket-size), so I think those are allowed. It really was such a blast, zipping through the water, and the seats are comfortable. Not hard at all to get in or out of the zodiac, and I am a klutz with knee and foot problems. I would do this excursion again in a heartbeat, with the caveat that I don't think it would be all that fun in rotten weather (grey skies would be fine, but not so much if raining or really choppy, tho I assume the excursion would be cancelled in such conditions).

We did this excursion on May 17, 2014, albeit in Sitka. I think it is pretty much the same as the one in Skagway. It was fantastic. We also, luckily, had a beautiful weather day -- blue skies and smooth seas. So, it really wasn't bumpy at all. Saw huge amounts of sea otters and all kinds of wonderful birds. The suits they give you keep you very warm. Someone on our zodiac had a very large camera (definitely not pocket-size), so I think those are allowed. It really was such a blast, zipping through the water, and the seats are comfortable. Not hard at all to get in or out of the zodiac, and I am a klutz with knee and foot problems. I would do this excursion again in a heartbeat, with the caveat that I don't think it would be all that fun in rotten weather (grey skies would be fine, but not so much if raining or really choppy, tho I assume the excursion would be cancelled in such conditions).

I'm so glad to hear that this was a fun excursion...! We also considered doing this one, but the timing just didn't work out for us...! On a future cruise, we'd definitely take your recommendation and do it--if the weather is nice...! :)

One note...this ocean raft excursion is offered by a different company than the one in Skagway. Not that this matters, but it was helpful to know...

:)