Rome in November

thmpsn

Will be in Rome in November, then doing a TA which stops in Florence, Spain and Canary Islands before ending in Fort Lauderdale. I am wondering if I will need a heavy winter type coat or just a light jacket for Italian ports. Will be taking turtle neck and sweatshirts to layer under a coat. Your advice is appreciated.

Karon

It can be pouring and 40F or nice and sunny in November. Plan on layering

I'm always hot and found a shirt, sweater, jacket, scarf combo gave me many options.

At one point I was taking off layers next to Romans who were putting on layers.

Edited by SadieN

It looks like you'll be in Rome early in November, rather than later. Since you are from Illinois, I'm going to say you'll find the weather temperate if a little cool at night. You may run into some rain here and there, but in my experience the chances of rain are higher in later November.

A few trips back, I took a heavy leather jacket on a November trip to Rome but only wore it at night (and was rather sorry I'd lugged it along). What I prefer to do is to bring a fleece jacket and a good impermeable rain jacket that can be layered. The two together keep me warm enough in Rome or can be worn separately as needed. Gloves and a scarf are a good idea. (My jacket has a hood, so no hat.)

I love Rome and visit often, generally in the "off-season" (e.g., from November through March). Having the city to myself without so many tourists is well worth the occasional damp and chill day. ;)

Florence will probably be much like Rome, perhaps a slight bit damper and/or chillier.

One other thing to note: Europeans tend to overheat their buildings in winter. If you are planning to visit any museums, etc., take advantage of the coat checks when possible as you'll definitely be shedding any coat or jacket you're wearing.

The only time I have been there was mid October and the weather was fabulous. One day in Rome we had rain, that was it the whole 19 days. We did wear our rain jackets on other days, but those were the only jackets we took. Many other days were short sleeve weather.

Our photos show us with jackets tied around our waists, so I'm thinking early morning was cool. My husband and I like to walk the deck at night and I recall the weather at sea was quite balmy and comfortable. I think turtlenecks may be a bit too much, I would much rather have a scarf that I could take off and stuff in a pocket.

I would check prior to leaving on weather.com to get a better idea of what you may expect. Weather is so unpredictable. The last couple days of the trip, late October, we were wearing shorts. The weather there seemed quite comparable to what we have in So. California

One other thing to note: Europeans tend to overheat their buildings in winter. If you are planning to visit any museums, etc., take advantage of the coat checks when possible as you'll definitely be shedding any coat or jacket you're wearing.

Probably because the heat is turned off during the day in their apartments.:rolleyes: Heat turns on Nov 15 and gets turned off March 15, and then only for a few hours in the morning and night. Probably won't have this problem in a hotel but would in an apartment-housed BnB or vacation rental. Bring slippers or slipper sox. They use tile, not carpeting in their living spaces.

DD literally just arrived (an hour ago) and her apartment is an icebox right now.

ETA-- If it is pouring, Rome will 'stop' because of flooding. The Pantheon closes at the least bit of water.

Edited by SadieN

We did the same itinerary and agree with others - layers. I took along a Northface raincoat which worked really well for all weather conditions (bright green w/ a fun scarf). Needed it in Italy (drizzle) and France (a little chilly) but not in Spain. Light and easy to pack!

Aloha Karon. We're on your ship also. I was planning on bringing my hooded yellow waterproof swing coat for those wet days and won't need to carry an umbrella. I like to wear my white fleece vest on the plane, I always carry a zippered child's pillow case with me so when I get too warm on the plane I roll up the vest stick it in and have a perfect pillow.