Specialty Dining in our Suite?

albertamom

I am considering purchasing the UDP for our upcoming Dawn cruise, however, I can't imagine that after a busy, active day in port, we will feel much like getting all prettied up and heading out for a 2 hour dinner. (Lazy, I know.) :o

Am I right in assuming that we could have our butler bring our dinner to our suite from one of the specialty restaurants? If so, would we just place our order with him/her the day before, along with a requested delivery time?

I am considering purchasing the UDP for our upcoming Dawn cruise, however, I can't imagine that after a busy, active day in port, we will feel much like getting all prettied up and heading out for a 2 hour dinner. (Lazy, I know.) :o

Am I right in assuming that we could have our butler bring our dinner to our suite from one of the specialty restaurants? If so, would we just place our order with him/her the day before, along with a requested delivery time?

Yes.

Thank you, all! Our butler on the POA was nice enough, but I always felt like I was inconveniencing him if I asked for anything special. I need to get over that, if I'm going to take full advantage of the suite perks. ;)

I'm definitely not demanding in the least, but dinner in our suite sounds lovely after a long day. I will be sure to give lots of notice. :)

Thank you, all! Our butler on the POA was nice enough, but I always felt like I was inconveniencing him if I asked for anything special. I need to get over that, if I'm going to take full advantage of the suite perks. ;)

I'm definitely not demanding in the least, but dinner in our suite sounds lovely after a long day. I will be sure to give lots of notice. :)

I used to feel the same way albertamom until one of our Butlers trained me and said "let him earn his keep"

We have even ordered from two different restaurants on the same night - he has Steak, I want Italian:D

The food arrives cooked perfectly, our Butlers set a beautiful table. I used to fear meals would arrive "room service" in the days or yore...sterno, steam tables etc.........NOT!:D

We do have extra tip $$ ready;)

1. This is what you paid for.

2. Extras like this usually equate with a better tip for the butler.

WIN-WIN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Our butlers on the Dawn and Star would have had no problem with a dinner request. Although on the western carribean itinerary we really enjoyed eating in the main dining room or specialty restauranst in the evenings. Your concierge can make reservations for the main dining room for you so there is no waiting with a pager at peak times.

It was breakfast that we really enjoyed having delivered to our suite. We asked for a Cagney's menu and ordered from it the day before including the time we wanted breakfast. So much easier than getting up to Cagney's before they closed.

Have a great cruise - very different from our POA cruise in 2011.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Our butlers on the Dawn and Star would have had no problem with a dinner request. Although on the western carribean itinerary we really enjoyed eating in the main dining room or specialty restauranst in the evenings. Your concierge can make reservations for the main dining room for you so there is no waiting with a pager at peak times.

It was breakfast that we really enjoyed having delivered to our suite. We asked for a Cagney's menu and ordered from it the day before including the time we wanted breakfast. So much easier than getting up to Cagney's before they closed.

Have a great cruise - very different from our POA cruise in 2011.

Hi there! I will never forget how excited I was preparing for that first cruise! We had so much fun on our roll call! What a great group of people we had gathered there!

I see that you've been busy since then! I'm dying to do the Baltic Cruise on the Star! Maybe I'll purchase an FCC on this trip and put it to good use! ;)

Sherri

To OP:

Are you asking if meals from Specialty can charged to UDP if you have them served in your suite?

I was assuming that they could be...just wanting clarification to put my mind at ease. (Also wanting reassurance that our butler would, indeed, deliver room service from the Specialty restaurants.) :)

Edited by albertamom

According to my PCC, the UDP only covers in restaurant dining. My guess is to prevent abuse. Since UDP is a personal purchase, everyone in the cabin/suite does NOT need to purchase. This could lead to problems/abuse. It would be difficult to "prove" the meals being ordered we're for UDP purchasers and it wouldn't make sense to refuse to serve the meal once it was delivered.

I'm guessing NCL will figure out a way to allow suite guests to use UDP for in suite dining, but as of now, it is NOT an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

According to my PCC, the UDP only covers in restaurant dining. My guess is to prevent abuse. Since UDP is a personal purchase, everyone in the cabin/suite does NOT need to purchase. This could lead to problems/abuse. It would be difficult to "prove" the meals being ordered we're for UDP purchasers and it wouldn't make sense to refuse to serve the meal once it was delivered.

I'm guessing NCL will figure out a way to allow suite guests to use UDP for in suite dining, but as of now, it is NOT an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Oh my goodness! That's awful news! I definitely won't purchase it if that's the case. I'll just book Specialty dining for the two sea days, and order room service from the MDR, if I want to on port days. I don't want to feel that we "have" to dress up and go out for a long dinner, if one of the four of us is not feeling up to it after a long day. NCL's loss, I guess, but disappointing.

All of us in the room would be purchasing the UDP. Maybe it's something I could discuss with our concierge when we board. I definitely won't pre-book and pay for it, until I know for sure. :(

Edited by albertamom

Hopefully you can get food delivered by the butler if you do take the UDP. We are on the ship during the Super Bowl and I would surely order food up and watch the game in the Suite. If we can't do that, we might not buy the package either. The first night, I would just order up the lobster tails from the MDR if we don't do the package. We will figure it out, but I would love to do the UDP and be able to have it brought up by the butler. Time will tell, but I will surely wait till we board to purchase. Whatever happens, happens. Not that big of a deal when you think about it.

Take Care

Rob

Hopefully you can get food delivered by the butler if you do take the UDP. We are on the ship during the Super Bowl and I would surely order food up and watch the game in the Suite. If we can't do that, we might not buy the package either. The first night, I would just order up the lobster tails from the MDR if we don't do the package. We will figure it out, but I would love to do the UDP and be able to have it brought up by the butler. Time will tell, but I will surely wait till we board to purchase. Whatever happens, happens. Not that big of a deal when you think about it.

Take Care

Rob

You are absolutely right that it is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but I tend to be a little obsessive about my planning. I need lots of gentle help and support in order to "go with the flow". :o

I do worry that, because there are a limited number of the UDPs available, they will sell out before we board. Please report back about your experience! In the meantime, I will take a deep breath and continue dreaming about the Caribbean sun, sand and surf. :)

You are absolutely right that it is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but I tend to be a little obsessive about my planning. I need lots of gentle help and support in order to "go with the flow". :o

That's just the point...with NCL you are encouraged NOT to go with flow, but to "flow you own way"...

NCL-flow.jpg.54adf009a5659bc2b0ddf6f98819db6a.jpg

Hi there! I will never forget how excited I was preparing for that first cruise! We had so much fun on our roll call! What a great group of people we had gathered there!

I see that you've been busy since then! I'm dying to do the Baltic Cruise on the Star! Maybe I'll purchase an FCC on this trip and put it to good use! ;)

Sherri

Hi Sherri,

We've been using the FCC's for our cruises. Such a deal. Are you in a Family suite on the Dawn? We loved that suite - so much space and that bathroom! We liked it so much, we also booked one on the Star for our Iceland cruise. Same room - the two ships are sisters and very similar. I'm trying to talk my Mom into the Baltics cruise.....maybe we will see you there.

Have a great cruise in March. Do you have your excursions all planned out?

Beverly

Hi Sherri,

We've been using the FCC's for our cruises. Such a deal. Are you in a Family suite on the Dawn? We loved that suite - so much space and that bathroom! We liked it so much, we also booked one on the Star for our Iceland cruise. Same room - the two ships are sisters and very similar. I'm trying to talk my Mom into the Baltics cruise.....maybe we will see you there.

Have a great cruise in March. Do you have your excursions all planned out?

Beverly

2-Bedroom Family Suite! The kids having their own separate space, and better yet, their own bathroom with shower, is a HUGE benefit!!!:D

Yes, I think my excursions are all set.

For some reason, I'm really excited about the thought of trying out all of the Specialty Dining Restaurants with the UDP. We were perfectly happy with the MDRs on the POA, but I want to be adventurous and try some foods that we would never think of trying here at home. I do know, though, that we would want at least two of those served in our suite, so that we don't have to get cleaned up and dressed up for dinner. If that's not possible with the UDP, then we'll just have regular room service, or pop up to the buffet.

I so love that you are still traveling with your mom. Your hubby is a wonderful man. :)

2-Bedroom Family Suite! The kids having their own separate space, and better yet, their own bathroom with shower, is a HUGE benefit!!!:D

Yes, I think my excursions are all set.

For some reason, I'm really excited about the thought of trying out all of the Specialty Dining Restaurants with the UDP. We were perfectly happy with the MDRs on the POA, but I want to be adventurous and try some foods that we would never think of trying here at home. I do know, though, that we would want at least two of those served in our suite, so that we don't have to get cleaned up and dressed up for dinner. If that's not possible with the UDP, then we'll just have regular room service, or pop up to the buffet.

You will have a terrific cruise. The weather is so warm and the beaches are beautiful.

We like the specialty restaurants. I'm interested in hearing what you think of the UDP. It sounds like the extra charge lobster dishes are included in the package - which is a bargain. I have had the special lobster dish in the Asian restaurant and it was delicious. If your son wants lobster on lobster night, I think the specialty restaurant can get it for you from the main dining room and serve it with your other meals. Wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm not wild about the lunch menu in Cagney's and had them order me an item for the MDR with no problem. I did of course tip the server who had to go down to the MDR.