Adriatic exurtions

We did our own, but we don't mind walking miles and miles in a day....

Have a look at tomsportguides, his Venice guide is good.

We walked to the people mover, it took around 15 mins to walk there, and then into the main parts of Venice. the yellow signs you see on walls help a lot.

There are loads of good websites out there including frommers which is one of my favourites for walking tours and maps.

If you are happy to walk you can get into the centre in about 30 minutes walking via P.Roma - then follow the well signed route to the Rialto Bridge/St Mark's - or you can pick up water taxis/people mover if you don't want to walk all the way in.

But personally, I'd never do an organised tour here unless I especially wanted to hear the history/commentary from a guide. As far as getting around independently and getting in to see the likes of the Doge's Palace, St Mark's, go up the Campanile - you can do all of that yourself. I would recommend though that you get off the ship as early as you can to try to beat the queues which do build up quite quickly - go to these places early then you can wander at your leisure later.

We just love getting lost around the canals in Venice - you can hardly not get lost - but it's so easy to find yourself again. There are lots of signs to direct you to the main places - take a decent map with you and if you find yourself in a Square it's usually quite easy to get your bearings again. And it's not such a big city so you'll soon find yourself on the beaten track again.

Apart from the obvious - I'd recommend finding St Stephano Sq for some decent cafes (extortionate prices in St Mark's Sq - but get away from there and it's much more reasonable), find the Accademia Br for the classic photo shots in Venice and along the waterfront nearby for superb icecreams - Nico's Gelateria on Fondamenta Zatter. You sail past it as you sail in - it's along the Guidecca Canal. Last time we went I think it was 1.90€ for one scoop - great value and fab icecream!!

Enjoy your planning! :) Venice is something quite different and very special.

Venice is easy on your own, we visited on our RCI cruise then decided to go back and stay for 3 days. it's a great place to wander around, although I realise you won't have much time.

St Mark's is easy to find; we arranged our own Clock Tower tour, it was really interesting; booked it online. The water buses are really easy; if you have enough time just get one across the main canal where you'll find things like cafes & bars are much cheaper. We sat and watched an MSC ship go by as we sit along the canal; it seemed to take up the whole world; great fun.

Enjoy venice; it's wonderful.

Just a quick tip if you want to take a Gondola ride! Try to get a group of 4 or 6 together as they charge by Gondola, then take a ride early in the day as it gets busier and more expensive as the day goes on. Another point is to take a Gondola from one of the side canals, much cheaper than taking one from the Grand Canal and agree your price first. We had a wonderful time and the man even sang to us!

I was thinking of booking the Venice on your own day tour when we went, I figured it would give me the most time in Venice, but am happy to be corrected. We will be there late July/ early August and I had concerns of walking all the way in in the heat. There will be 5 of us (2 adults and 3 children 17, 15 & 15). Does anyone know if this tour will just literally drop us into the centre of will we have to endure a part tour and commentary at the beginning as you seem to with P&O 'on your own' tours?

I was thinking of booking the Venice on your own day tour when we went, I figured it would give me the most time in Venice, but am happy to be corrected. We will be there late July/ early August and I had concerns of walking all the way in in the heat. There will be 5 of us (2 adults and 3 children 17, 15 & 15). Does anyone know if this tour will just literally drop us into the centre of will we have to endure a part tour and commentary at the beginning as you seem to with P&O 'on your own' tours?

As far as I know you get the shuttle from the ship then you are on your own if anyone knows different let us know if not I will do a reveiw when icome home on 9th may approximately . Keith

Sorry don't know but it's so easy to get the vaporetto to St Mark's Sq if you don't want to walk - you pick it up at P.Roma but be sure it's one which goes all the way as once ours stopped at the Rialto and we had to walk the rest. Also there are water taxis which go right from the berth to St Mark's but they go down the Guidecca Canal which you have just seen if you were on deck for the sail-in (definitely worth it - it's magical!) so if you want to experience sailing down the Grand Canal and under the Rialto Br you need to go to P.Roma for a vaporetto.

If the family don't mind walking it really doesn't take too long to walk all the way in and you get such a flavour of Venice in the back canals - we love it!

The venice on your own trip drops you off 4 bridges from st marks, not much of a walk but very around the bridge near the bridge of sighs, the guide only gives you a little commentry on the shuttle, they is a cafe and ice cream stall, and souvenir shops near the drop off point