Carnival Cruise October 2014 New to Cruising

We are cruising on the Spirit in September and this is our very first cruise. The tips and advice here has been great. I did read somewhere that one of the shops sells spirits although expensive it maybe worth it?

So we can budget for alcohol, what's a beer worth and cocktails of the day? Also does the adults pool get very crowded and how hard is it to get a deck chair?

So many questions lol

Very excited first timer

Maree

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

You can not drink the spirits you buy on the ship duty free it will be held for you til the last night from memory beer range from $7.50-$8.50 and cocktails $6.95-$10.50 pools were never over crowded when we were on in march last year and had no problem getting a deck chair :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You can not drink the spirits you buy on the ship duty free it will be held for you til the last night from memory beer range from $7.50-$8.50 and cocktails $6.95-$10.50 pools were never over crowded when we were on in march last year and had no problem getting a deck chair :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi there

Great info. Do you know what is the average price for a wine by glass and price to buy a bottle of wine?

Cheers

We did a Spirit cruise in October last year and loved every minute of it. If you get the chance while in Noumea, do the Amadee Island shore excursion. It's expensive and you have to book it pretty much as soon as you board to avoid missing out, but it's worth every cent. We had a ball on the island.

A tip on the jewellery, wait until after the last at shore day as the specials are incredible! My girlfriend spent about $300 on watches, bracelets and other stuff, but she saved about $600, so it was worth it.

Most of all, just go with the flow, and as others have said, make sure you read your fun times newsletter every night so you can organise your days easier if you're so inclined.

We did a Spirit cruise in October last year and loved every minute of it. If you get the chance while in Noumea, do the Amadee Island shore excursion. It's expensive and you have to book it pretty much as soon as you board to avoid missing out, but it's worth every cent. We had a ball on the island.

A tip on the jewellery, wait until after the last at shore day as the specials are incredible! My girlfriend spent about $300 on watches, bracelets and other stuff, but she saved about $600, so it was worth it.

Most of all, just go with the flow, and as others have said, make sure you read your fun times newsletter every night so you can organise your days easier if you're so inclined.

I want to do the Amedee island tour this time for sure we leave on Thursday 30th jan doing a B2b 19 days this will be our 3rd and 4th cruise on the carnival spirit I will try and fined out some wine prices for the post about :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I want to do the Amedee island tour this time for sure we leave on Thursday 30th jan doing a B2b 19 days this will be our 3rd and 4th cruise on the carnival spirit I will try and fined out some wine prices for the post about :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for that and for letting us know about the theme nights.

Cheers

We are doing our first Carnival Spirit cruise in April.

Isle of Pines: last time we were there we got off the ship early and hired 2 electric bikes. It was fantastic as we rode all the way out from the port, past pastry shops, local villages and ruins. They were available from the short walk from wharf to snorkelling beach. Warning though, the later you get bikes, the battery tends to run out- we had to pedal all the way back on one of them...it was quite an adventure. After returning the bikes we headed to the beach for snorkelling. It was a bit 'on mass' iykwim but great snorkelling. From what us can remember, there is a cafe/restaurant not too far from wharf. It was one of our favourite stops.

Re shore tours: on our last cruise, we did our own thing, as we will do this time. Many of the shore tours you can do on your own at a fraction of the cost. This time in Vila we will make our own way to Hideaway Island (friend just back from there recommended it). Last time we went to Erakor island Resort for the day. Island resorts offer snorkelling, sometimes the same places that the tours take you to, all you need to do is make your own way there and then buy lunch at their restaurant, which works out way cheaper than a snorkelling shore tour.

Hi, hubby & I along with 3.5yo are deciding between the March 3 or 12th cruise this year. Hope it's ok that I add a few questions of my own:

- Undecided whether to do a set dining time or my time to dine, generally we are early eaters (with a toddler), but when she is hungry she wants to eat NOW! What would people with kids recommend?

- If we have set dining time and don't feel like dinner at that time, what are our other options for dinner?

- What is the cost of ordering room service? Is there are charge for the food or just a delivery charge with free food?

- Is it frowned upon to take a plate of food out of the restaurant/buffet and back to the room?

- What is included in the bubbles drink package besides softdrink?

- The 'free' water that is available, is it bottled/filtered or tap?

- Are the shows at night family friendly/appropriate for a 3.5yo?

- Do you need to book to see the shows or just turn up?

- How busy is the kids club? Do you need to book in advance?

- Are the children given snacks and drinks at the kids club?

- How long can you leave the child at kids club? And, can we leave the boat while she is there? ie. if hubby and I wanted to do a shore excursion can we leave her there?

- What are the weights like in the gym? Free weights & weight machines?

- Do you have to pay for fitness classes, ie yoga? And do these book out quickly?

Sorry to bombard you all with so many questions, but I would rather be prepared than find out the 'hard way'! Thank you for taking the time to answer :)

@Eli, I just spoke to our booking operator about kids club - she said they are automatically booked in when you book your cruise ticket. She said when we arrive on-board to go down and check them in in person.

1. Bingo I think was $30 for 5 games, the cards could be bought in the morning and then just before the session started. Usually it was played every sea day, but the Fun Times will have all the info.

2. WATCH OUT FOR THE ARCADE!!!! The games were I think only $1-$2 BUT it adds up...especially if your child is old enough to be by themselves!!! The good thing is you can put a daily spending limit on their cards or a total spending limit! I have heard of stories of $75 being spent in the arcade!!

3. Camp Carnival is separated into different age groups, 2-5, 6-8, 9-11, 12-14, 15-17. I had a child in 2-5 and 6-8. The 7 yr old loved it, she was in there as much as possible, to the extent Stu, the Cruise Director, was always asking about her as he never saw her! The 4yr old loved some sessions, but truthfully I think she realised if she didn't go, she gets mum and dad to her self! She loved all the shows at night though. As each age group is different, let me know what group and I will tell you more.

4. We bought the "Bubbles Package" for the kids, it was $5 a day and you had to buy it on the first day. We don't drink a lot of soft drink (the 4 yr old was in shock that she could have one!) but I got it a) we are on holidays and b) they could go and get a drink whenever they liked and if they didn't finish it it didn't matter. The package included soft drinks and juices (orange, pineapple and cranberry).

What is your dining time? If you have Anytime Dining, go early especially with kids as then you don't have to wait for a table, this way you also get to choose your wait staff (i.e. if you want the same staff, you just have to ask). The can order from both the kids menu and the normal menu and they can have as much as they like! Our 4 yr old ordered Frogs legs and loved them.

In the Atruim at night there is photo back drops set up with photographers at each one. Have a few photos taken, then the next day, head to deck 3 where you can view them. We have family photos done every 3 years, so last year, ours were done on the boat! Really good quality and if you like them, buy them, if not leave them where they are! Nice photo albums for kids to buy as well, one with the carnival funnel, the other with a towel elephant on it. Our girls loved going through the hundreds of photos to choose what ones they wanted in their own album.

Take a highlighter (or one colour for each person) and highlight what you want to do. The Fun Times is delivered every night. One the first day you will get the program for the kids clubs for the entire cruise, highlight that one as well so you remember what you want to do!

Anything else!!!

ARCADE - Yes, I'm going to be very careful with the arcade. My boys are 4, 7 and 9 so could easily rack up quite a bill I'm sure. I'm hoping you can add small amounts of cash to their cruisecards at a time. That way, once it's gone they can't keep spending.

KIDS CLUB - I'll have the boys spread over the 3 different kids clubs. I'm the same as you, as I don't think my older boys will have a problem with going off and meeting new friends, it's my 4 year old that will be hesitant. On our last cruise, my younger two were together in kids club in P&O (3 and 6 at the time), so that helped. Any info you've got on the groups would be great. I really like the idea of getting the program for the whole cruise ahead of time - it helps us plan our (adult) activities better too. Did you use the late night program at all? If so, how was it?

SOFT DRINK - Like your kids, ours don't usually drink much softdrink normally. We're allowed to take on soft drink, so we're going to bring on an 8 pack of those small cans of drink each, along with some water bottles.

DINNER - We have anytime dining, and will get there as early as possible. Do they have a kids dinner in the buffet? P&O had an early kids dinner in the buffet (which the parents took them to). On a couple of nights we'd take them there and then drop them off at kids club so we could go to dinner in the main restaurant.

TIPS - Thank you for the highlighter tip! I've always brought one with me, but the idea of different colours for each of us is fantastic!

I think you're other tip in another reply in this thread (about letting the small things slide, and enjoy yourself) just about sums it all up. I totally agree!!

You will have an awesome time. Carnival spirit is. Great ship, very casual and relaxed. What deck and what type of cabin have you booked?

Definatly take lanyards, that's what your cruise card wil be attached to all cruise, that is what you pay for everything with and is also your room key, you can buy lanyards onboard for about $10 I think, but if you have some at home, take! save buying. Wherever you booked thru will/should give you anyway with your final documents.

The pizza is free, as is the ice cream (24hr) and the cafe grill, can't remember exact hours it's open but not too late, they have the best chicken schnitzels ever. :p, and fries, burgers etc...

When disembarking you can pretty much choose your time, if you get a time that doesn't suit, just go to guest services and there is a box with times, just swap over.

Carnival only have non alcoholic drinks packages. Soda packages.

There internet packages are soooo good , the best we have had. From memory is was something like $60 for 1 thing or if you had multiple (like ph, iPad etc and you want to use them all) something like $80 for the length of the cruise, so didn't matter if you used it a little or continual, same price (wish other cruise lines has this) plus you could get the wii fii all around the ship.

You can check your account on your tv in your room, no need to go to guest services etc..there is machines around ship to deposit money onto account or take out (normally you would need to go to guest services for this as well) so much easier

There are laundries onboard, no need to take coins (other ships requires coins to operate) just swipe your card.

Any other questions, fire away, everyone on here is very helpful and friendly. :o

Fiona

Wow - I am impressed by the internet charges. Internet on Royal Carribbean was so expensive!

Wow - I am impressed by the internet charges. Internet on Royal Carribbean was so expensive!

Yes, we were very impressed, was so good.. One person in our group basically stayed connected all cruise,whereas I logged in and logged off but wasn't any need, we recently came back from a cruise on voyager and that was soooo expensive, sooooo slow and only a few places around the ship you could connect.... We were telling a staff member about carnivals internet package and they said that in their refurb in oct, wii fii is one of the upgrades, will be ship wide and "heaps better" (whatever that means ;)) Fiona

Does anyone know if there is room under the bed to put a suitcase?

I was just reading a review of the Spirit when it was in the States. The person wrote that the room was bigger than expected with plenty of under bed storage. I think it was an ocean view balcony, queen with bunks...not sure if this helps or not?!

I was just reading a review of the Spirit when it was in the States. The person wrote that the room was bigger than expected with plenty of under bed storage. I think it was an ocean view balcony, queen with bunks...not sure if this helps or not?!

Excellent, thank you!

Hi again Family Cruiser if you are still reading... (and anyone else that can help)

I have heard about Showtime in the dining room and had a couple of questions. ..

1) Do they do it every night?

2) Is it the same each night?

3) What time is it on? We have anytime dining, so I guess there's a chance we could miss it.

Yes, suitcases fit nicely under beds.

Show time is every night during each seating, different song etc every night, so no matter if you are early/late they do it once, it's great, they dim the lights , and say ""Iiiiiiiitttttttssssss. showtime""""""then the staff sing or dance., once during ours, they did Gangnam Style. Lol. Was pretty funny. The waiters stripping off and dancing and singing on top of tables. :p

Hi, hubby & I along with 3.5yo are deciding between the March 3 or 12th cruise this year. Hope it's ok that I add a few questions of my own:

- Undecided whether to do a set dining time or my time to dine, generally we are early eaters (with a toddler), but when she is hungry she wants to eat NOW! What would people with kids recommend?

- If we have set dining time and don't feel like dinner at that time, what are our other options for dinner?

- What is the cost of ordering room service? Is there are charge for the food or just a delivery charge with free food?

- Is it frowned upon to take a plate of food out of the restaurant/buffet and back to the room?

- What is included in the bubbles drink package besides softdrink?

- The 'free' water that is available, is it bottled/filtered or tap?

- Are the shows at night family friendly/appropriate for a 3.5yo?

- Do you need to book to see the shows or just turn up?

- How busy is the kids club? Do you need to book in advance?

- Are the children given snacks and drinks at the kids club?

- How long can you leave the child at kids club? And, can we leave the boat while she is there? ie. if hubby and I wanted to do a shore excursion can we leave her there?

- What are the weights like in the gym? Free weights & weight machines?

- Do you have to pay for fitness classes, ie yoga? And do these book out quickly?

Sorry to bombard you all with so many questions, but I would rather be prepared than find out the 'hard way'! Thank you for taking the time to answer :)

Hi, I will do my best with the questions.

1. We have done both anytime and set time. We have young daughters as well, and always eat early. The only advantage I saw with set was you knew where your table would be every night!!! When we had Anytime we were always there at 5.30 anyway so never had a wait and we always requested the same wait staff which we always got. So I guess it is up to you, but as long as you are there when the doors open....you wot have to wait!

2. If you have set and don't want to eat at 5.45, you can eat anytime you like upstairs on deck 3 which is the same restaurant but you choose when you want to eat.....you may have to wait though if there is a line. Other option is the Lido Deck (9) for the Buffet. Or to be fancy...the Nouvea Restaurant. This does have a $35 cover charge and I have heard great reviews... HINT BOOK IN FOR THE FIRST NIGHT YOU GET A FREE BOTTLE OF WINE! Not really kids food though:(

3. We never did room service sorry, but there is a charge, not extreme though.

4. I was going to say, grab a plate and take it to your room!! No it is not frowned upon!

5. Just Soft Drink, orange juice, pineapple juice and cranberry juice. Tea and coffee free all day from the Lido Deck.

6. Free water is available in the Buffet Area from a dispenser. They just ask that you don't fill your water bottles directly... germs and stuff, but you can use a cup and fill your bottle that way. In the morning the dispensers have juice and the rest of the day it is like a lemon cordial.

7. Yes, our daughter who tuned 4 on board went to every show and loved them, even the second time around when they were the same. There is also family comedy around 8ish for 2 shows (2 different comedians), plus 2 more from 10 for adults only.

8. Just turn up BUT someone will have to line up about 40min before show starts if you want a good seat!

9. You have to register your child, an info session will be held on the first afternoon. No need to book in each session.

10. Had to check with older daughter, she tells me that if you wanted food you could bring your own in, but for memory I remember no food will be served due to allergies etc. They have water there.

11. Each age group is different, for yours, there are morning sessions, afternoon sessions, dinner (you drop your child off in the buffet, they have dinner there and are walked back to the rooms) and night sessions, plus for a charge, night owls from 10-3am. Yes, on shore days you can leave your child on the boat, they will be given lunch

12. I only used the cardio equipment but I don't recall seeing any free weights???? Definitely machine weights though, great equipment, very up to date, and nothing better than running on the treadmill staring out at the ocean. Jogging track on Deck 12.

13. Some classes had charges, others were free, you will need to check when you get your fun times.

I should do a thread about the kids club so everyone can find out more info!

Hi again Family Cruiser if you are still reading... (and anyone else that can help)

I have heard about Showtime in the dining room and had a couple of questions. ..

1) Do they do it every night?

2) Is it the same each night?

3) What time is it on? We have anytime dining, so I guess there's a chance we could miss it.

1. There is something on every night. Whether it be a stage show, just singing, specialist acts (jugglers, magic etc).

2. So no not the same act every night.

3. They have 2 shows a night (same show) one at 8pm the other at 10pm. Check your fun times though for exact times.

OPPPS should have read your question better!! That is for the Theater! For the Dining room, it was just before 7 for the early seating and not sure what time for the late. DO NOT MISS THIS!! It was a lot of fun and it is the waiters that are getting up there and dancing and singing. They do a great job. For you on Deck 3, when you hear Dessi call SHOOOOOOW TIMMMMMMME.....get to the centre of Deck 3 where you can look down on Deck 2. Or even just watch your waiters, some can really move!

• 5 months later...

Thank you to everyone for the hints and tips , we are booked on the 16th from Sydney this year. I have a couple more questions, would appreciate any help you guys could give :

We are coming from Adelaide and would like to do some day free alcohol shopping, looks at vodka and top shelve jack Daniels.

We have 2 options (I think) : buy in Adelaide - take on plane - carry to ship - etc etc / buy on ship.

From experiences which is the cheaper options , can't find a carnival price list for duty free alcohol.

What's the other duty free shopping like on board ? Electronics/clothes etc

Bubbles Plan : 5$ a day ? What brand soft drink do carnival supply ? Does that include coffee ? Bottled water?

How are the vegetarian food options ?

I don't mind a gamble : what are the casino limits ? Do the spread poker in the casino?

Has anyone attended the gym classes offered ? What classes ? I know at extra cost - I saw somewhere there is a gym class package - is this still offered ? Worth it ??

Thank you for any assistance you can offer !

Mat

Just want to correct a couple of things that have been posted here.

In Noumea they DO take aussie dollars in the terminal where the bus drops you and also at many of the shops in town. We have done 4 or 5 sth pacific cruises, always including Noumea and never had to exchange for local currency. If you choose to take the local bus I expect you will need it but we did the hop on hop off bus with aussie dollars.

The internet packages unfortunately has been changed since the person posted the prices. Carnival Spirit has joined the other companies and have horrendously expensive and very slow internet access. A year ago I paid $49 for a 9 night cruise with access 24/7 - those were the good old days.

Another thing to mention, if you are going to Mare please take some goodies to give to the school kids. The school is right at the wharf and the children will be hanging over the fence calling out to you with great excitement and even greater broad smiles. They would appreciate anything at all, pencils, rulers, erasers, crayons, pens, black lead pencils, paper, sharpeners, award badges, anything at all that primary school age kids would use. Mare has only recently become part of the cruising itinerary. When you get off the wharf the school is straight ahead, turn left, go towards the stone church, take a pic through the window of the ship. check out the pig pen, and then the water hole on the other side of the "road" . use the spotless toilets and have a wonderful time exploring this very unspoilt island.

At Isle of Pines the locals do mini bus tours of the island for about $15 think ti was an hour and a half. My sister went on a ship tour paid closer to $60 or more and saw nothing more than we did.

The cabins on the spirit were very spacious, bigger than we have had on celerity, rc, princess and p and o.

above all relax and enjoy.

just another thought, when we were on the spirit early may, the kids took over the pools and spas but there is also a very small pool and spa in the adults only area serenity. also a spa in the fitness centre.

Villa has the cheapest duty free and the cheapest duty free shop if you are wanting alcohol is down the very end of the main street on the left. Cant remember the name of the shop but it is a name something like wing lei or similar. I think it was a yellow shop and quite big. They deliver your purchases to the ship, whereas the other shop didn't offer and we had to carry our bottles and hand them in when we got back to the ship.

Edited by Tara Jane

... Villa has the cheapest duty free and the cheapest duty free shop if you are wanting alcohol is down the very end of the main street on the left. Cant remember the name of the shop but it is a name something like wing lei or similar. I think it was a yellow shop and quite big. They deliver your purchases to the ship, whereas the other shop didn't offer and we had to carry our bottles and hand them in when we got back to the ship.

The shop is called Fung Kuei Duty Free, it does have a great range of alcohol including top end/premium spirits. I am yet to sail on Spirit, but last P&O cruise they did a last minute duty free alcohol sale on the last night (with most popular alcohols only, nothing special but very good prices) - they may do this on Spirit too? My next cruise doesn't go to Villa so I will be purchasing duty free onboard, as it's for my 21yr old I am pretty sure she's not overly fussy with her vodka ;)

thanks for the info re items for the school children on mare! Tara Jane. I will be on the 23 July sailing. In late June, my workplace moved premises and I collected up a variety of excess stationery that emerged in the moving process for the school kids.