Can we do the stringrays without the snorkelling?

Sue's Mom

Neither hubby nor me like snorkelling but would love to feed the stingrays. Is there a trip on offer which just does one without the other?

I am trying to decide on who to use for a Stingray City Tour with snorkeling. I am getting very confused from reading posts and just trying to figure out which company to go with. Any help would be greatly appreciated! There will be 5 in our party' date=' my husband and I and an 18,15 and 9 year old.[/quote']

In May, I did the Stingray City tour in Grand Cayman! It was perfect! I was on a Carnival ship, and booked an excursion called Deluxe Stingray City Sandbar through Carnival. The company they use is called MarineLand Tours. They have contracts with Carnival, but I don't know about other cruise lines. The tour was the coolest thing I have ever done. I have a sever low back injury, so the appeal for me was the boat they use. it has steps on the back that go all the way down to the sand bar. Its very easy to get into the water and very easy to get out. The people that operate the tour are amazing! Here is where they differ from other companies: You are allowed to take all of your own pics, and videos!!!! On the ride out, they had workers walking around on the boat asking us if we wanted them to take a pic of us with our cameras! Then after helping everyone get into the water, they took pics of us holding and feeding, and kissing the stingrays, and they gave us information about the rays, and how they live, their predators, etc. it was awesome. They sell beverages onboard, but you can bring your own food and drinks. THEY HAVE CLEAN RESTROOMS ONBOARD THE SHIP AND SHOWERS OUTSIDE AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS TO RINSE THE SALT WATER OFF WHEN YOU ARE DONE!!! I live in Texas, and I do not work for them. I kinda wish I did! It was an amazing experience!

You don't snorkel at Stingray City. Just search for providers that will just do that and leave off snorkeling.

You can either find a tour without snorkeling as mentioned, or when we went, snorkeling was included, and many on the boat just didn't participate in that part. I think only half the boat actually snorkeled when we got to that point, but we all went out for the stingray piece.

• 3 weeks later...
Neither hubby nor me like snorkelling but would love to feed the stingrays. Is there a trip on offer which just does one without the other?

In December 2012 we were on the Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas and I went onshore at the port and was approached by a woman selling snorkel & Stingray trips. I let her know we were only interested in the stingrays since we do not snorkel. She said no they had nothing like that and walked away. We were still strolling in the port area when another lady from her booth came over and asked if we still wanted to go see the stingrays. She said they had a stingray and 1 snorkel stop trip and since we didn't want to snorkel she would reduce the price to $25 per person. (they were asking $45 a person for the trip with snorkeling) We did take her trip and it was well worth it. I can't remember which tour company it was, but the 3 of us only cost $75 and we had a marvelous time. We did decide just to jump in the water and float around while the others were snorkeling.

You NEVER have to participate in any activity on excursions like that! We took a "snorkel" excursion once, simply because we wanted to go to a particular beach that was far from the ship.....we didn't even have to listen to the instructions or get equipment....we told them upfront we were simply going for the beach! It's all good!

Snorkeling is included in most (that I found anyways) but it was a short trip and you didn't have to get off the boat to do it unless you wanted to. Some of my family just sat on the boat and enjoyed the sun. Quite honestly the snorkeling wasn't great where we went anyways so you wouldn't be missing much :)

We used Captain Marvin's in case you were curious