Snorkeling from the beach/pier - no boat

SamboniMan

Hi all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for snorkeling from the beach or pier? This would be preferable than getting on a boat to a snorkeling location.

What beaches have snorkeling and do most places have equipment for rent?

Thanks, in advance.

The area at Tabyana is recommended a lot. The beach right in front of Bananarama is powdery and not good for snorkeling, but some walk down the beach to the iguana wall.

One thing to think about is to avoid an area with a lot of boats coming through. The drivers are not always careful.

Tabayana is great - the reef comes right up to the beach. Absolutely beautiful fish and coral. I would recommend taking your own equipment if possible, it was expensive to rent

Thank you. The excursion through the ship has a minimum age of 12 for the beach and snorkel at Tabayana. My son is 10 so that is out for us. Is there an age requirement for snorkeling at the beach itself? I'm having a hard time finding the right excursion.

Again, thanks!

When we was Roatan two years ago we went to Mayan Princess to hang out at the beach. While we was the beach there was a guy there doing snorkeling trip out to the reef which was a half mile or so away. He took the entire family including our 10 year old son. We had a great time. Looking to go again next week.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

Also check out Maya Key. It's a private island (booked with your cruise ship) and the snorkeling there is simply amazing. One of the best I have seen. The island is beautiful and they have animals, a pool and replica ruins. Food is also included.

I have a complete review with TONS of pictures, located in my signature line. :)