Help with late Seattle flight after Debarkation

A&Jfamily

We are looking at a 1055 pm flight from Seattle home, the day we debarked.

I ran a search but couldn't find an answer, so please forgive me if this question has been answered. Can anyone suggest a plan with what to do with our luggage so that we can tour during the day?

My thought was to rent a car for the day? Would we be able to go to Vancouver to see the gardens in daylight? If not, is there a central location to park to explore?

Are their any other options? Princess offers an excursion, but it is only from 9-1, so my guess is we would be sitting in the airport for 9 hours, and that seems such a waste.

I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks in advance!

The rental car is the best idea in my view. There aren't any rental car lots at the cruise terminals (you'll be at the Pier 91, aka Smith Cove terminal) but a couple of rental companies (National and Alamo most of the time) will have kiosks and shuttles there which will take you to a downtown rental facility.

Get a car, put your bags in the trunk, tour around, and end up dropping the car at the airport - it's very convenient.

Counting wait times at the border, Vancouver is 4 hours in each direction, too far for a daytrip in my view. I expect the gardens you're thinking about are Butchart Gardens in Victoria (on Vancouver Island) - and if you're sailing from Seattle your ship will most likely stop in Victoria on the way back from Alaska anyway. There ARE beautiful gardens in Vancouver (IMO in some ways comparable or superior to Butchart) but again, not enough time.

There are many, many options for great day trips with a car in the Seattle area - Whidbey Island, Snoqualmie Falls, a ferry to Bainbridge or Vashon Islands, the Museum of Glass in Tacoma... and many interesting places in Seattle itself - Museum of Flight, the University of Washington arboretum, Lake Washington, Alki beach... many.

We are looking at a 1055 pm flight from Seattle home, the day we debarked.

I ran a search but couldn't find an answer, so please forgive me if this question has been answered. Can anyone suggest a plan with what to do with our luggage so that we can tour during the day?

My thought was to rent a car for the day? Would we be able to go to Vancouver to see the gardens in daylight? If not, is there a central location to park to explore?

Are their any other options? Princess offers an excursion, but it is only from 9-1, so my guess is we would be sitting in the airport for 9 hours, and that seems such a waste.

I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks in advance!

Vancouver is definitely out . It is 3 hours each way or longer depending on the border crossing . Crossing the US/Canada Border can take up to 2 hours depending on the day . Remember that for a 1055PM flight you should be dropping your car off about 2 hrs before your flight. Seattle security can be a zoo.

Edited by Kamloops50

I'm confused . Does the ship dock in Vancouver? and your flight is out of seatac at 11pm? which day of the week? which gardens do you want to see?

If that's the case, a car is a great idea and you certainly have time for the drive. There are at least 2 Gardens as you leave Vancouver heading south; QE and a Botanical Garden. I'd prefer to spend the time at Stanley Park.

I also suggest that you use the border crossing web site to check the wait times at Blaine crossing, and take one of the alternate routes in case it's busy.

I'm confused . Does the ship dock in Vancouver? and your flight is out of seatac at 11pm? which day of the week? which gardens do you want to see?

If that's the case, a car is a great idea and you certainly have time for the drive. There are at least 2 Gardens as you leave Vancouver heading south; QE and a Botanical Garden. I'd prefer to spend the time at Stanley Park.

I also suggest that you use the border crossing web site to check the wait times at Blaine crossing, and take one of the alternate routes in case it's busy.

Sorry...didn't mean to confuse!:o The ship docks in Seattle, and that is where our flight will be out of, at 1055 pm.

Okay thats better! We take that flight out often since our daughter lives near there. Are you on Royal Caribbean? If so (and others may) have a service (RC does out of Seattle) that is called luggage valet. You hand over your luggage at customs and will see it when you get home. Its $20 a person and well worth it. This is the best!!!!

For ideas of what to do in Seattle with or without a car email me at lou at louhood dot com and put Seattle in the subject.

They have a great link rail system in town to use.

Lou

Sorry...didn't mean to confuse!:o The ship docks in Seattle, and that is where our flight will be out of, at 1055 pm.

If your ship docks in Seattle, no, you don't have time to go to Vancouver and back. That's a 3 hr drive each way under the best of circumstances. And you can sometimes spend an additional 1-2 hrs waiting to cross the border in EACH direction.

There is luggage storage at each pier, but it closes at 3:30pm.

http://www.portseattle.org/Cruise/Services/Pages/default.aspx

A rental car can be a great option ... provides storage AND your transfer to the airport, especially with a family. But parking is pricey in Seattle. I think you need to figure out what you're going to do for the day in order to determine the best option. If you just want to explore Seattle, put your luggage in the trunk and leave the car at the lot so you don't have to pay parking, then pick it up when you're ready to go to seatac.

Which pier are you using?

Edited by mapleleaves

We are doing something similar, but we are arriving in Vancouver getting a rental to drive to and fly back from SEA to the east coast. The thought of an 11p red eye did not interest us and I would have to take the day off from work anyway. We decided to get a room that night in Seattle and take an early flight the next morning. Not sure if that works for you or not.

• 2 weeks later...
If your ship docks in Seattle, no, you don't have time to go to Vancouver and back. That's a 3 hr drive each way under the best of circumstances. And you can sometimes spend an additional 1-2 hrs waiting to cross the border in EACH direction.

There is luggage storage at each pier, but it closes at 3:30pm.

http://www.portseattle.org/Cruise/Services/Pages/default.aspx

A rental car can be a great option ... provides storage AND your transfer to the airport, especially with a family. But parking is pricey in Seattle. I think you need to figure out what you're going to do for the day in order to determine the best option. If you just want to explore Seattle, put your luggage in the trunk and leave the car at the lot so you don't have to pay parking, then pick it up when you're ready to go to seatac.

Which pier are you using?

We are on Pier 91 - Princess. Our boys will be 16 and 10 at the time of the trip and we all love nature, parks (being outside in general) as well as science stuff. Do you have any specific suggestions as what to see, and how to see it (ie park the car a particular place and take subway (or whatever you call it out west) vs. driving to say Olymipa park)?

I appreciate all the good advice!

Many ships have the check the luggage meets you on the plane. Seattle is a great city. I spent time there when I was 10ish. But I suggest stay in the Seattle Center area. Space needle. Lots to do right there. EMP Even as an adult I find that area very fun. Plus the monorail is a must do.

We are on Pier 91 - Princess. Our boys will be 16 and 10 at the time of the trip and we all love nature, parks (being outside in general) as well as science stuff. Do you have any specific suggestions as what to see, and how to see it (ie park the car a particular place and take subway (or whatever you call it out west) vs. driving to say Olymipa park)?

I appreciate all the good advice!

Olympic National Park is too far for a day trip.

Since it looks like this will be around the first of June, the days will be long enough for one of the region's signature day trips, a loop to Deception Pass via Whidbey Island. If you're really energized and don't mind making quite a full day of it, you can add a unique stop, perfect for your boys, en route.

Get off the ship and take a rental car shuttle downtown to collect your car. Then drive north out of the city along Interstate 5 for around half an hour until you see the turnoff for State Hwy 526, signposted "Mukilteo ferry."

SR 526 is called the "Boeing Freeway" and about 3 miles from the I-5 junction you'll come up on the Boeing Everett plant, where the widebody jets are built, and the biggest building in the world. If you've booked ahead (easy and smart) pull into the Future of Flight center, and take the factory tour. See the 747s, 777s and 787s being built, then get a tour of the flight line where the new planes are tested before delivery. The exhibits at the FoF building are fascinating, and the tour is terrific.

Then keep driving a couple more miles to the cute waterfront town of Mukilteo, where you catch the 20-min. ferry to Whidbey Island.

Whidbey is a scenic, mainly rural island with several cute villages, the best of which is Langley (not far from the ferry dock) and a couple of fabulous state parks - Fort Casey with its coastal defense gun emplacements, and most especially, at the far north end of the island, Deception Pass.

Deception Pass is a narrow channel between Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands. It's the only inlet/outlet for a giant area of water to the east of Whidbey, so at tide changes the water rushing through the gap is downright awesome. There are stunning views from the highway bridges over the passage, but also from the beaches below, and the park has some of the best hiking trails in the park system. It's one of the gems of the region, and simply shouldn't be missed.

After Deception Pass, you follow SR 20 back (via bridge) to the mainland, then if time allows a visit to La Conner, another lovely little town, is easy. From La Conner it's back to I-5 and south to Seattle, around an hour, or call it 90 min. to the airport area.

This is a really fun day, with exposure to bigger-than-life industry, a lovely ferry ride to a scenic island full of cute towns and awesome natural sites, and a terrific immersion into the amazing diversity of the region. It's easily doable in the time you have available, but you'll sleep on the plane, if you get my meaning.

Oh, almost forgot. There's pie, too. http://whidbeypies.biz/ OMG is there pie.

Since it looks like this will be around the first of June, the days will be long enough for one of the region's signature day trips, a loop to Deception Pass via Whidbey Island. If you're really energized and don't mind making quite a full day of it, you can add a unique stop, perfect for your boys, en route.

Get off the ship and take a rental car shuttle downtown to collect your car. Then drive north out of the city along Interstate 5 for around half an hour until you see the turnoff for State Hwy 526, signposted "Mukilteo ferry."

SR 526 is called the "Boeing Freeway" and about 3 miles from the I-5 junction you'll come up on the Boeing Everett plant, where the widebody jets are built, and the biggest building in the world. If you've booked ahead (easy and smart) pull into the Future of Flight center, and take the factory tour. See the 747s, 777s and 787s being built, then get a tour of the flight line where the new planes are tested before delivery. The exhibits at the FoF building are fascinating, and the tour is terrific.

Then keep driving a couple more miles to the cute waterfront town of Mukilteo, where you catch the 20-min. ferry to Whidbey Island.

Whidbey is a scenic, mainly rural island with several cute villages, the best of which is Langley (not far from the ferry dock) and a couple of fabulous state parks - Fort Casey with its coastal defense gun emplacements, and most especially, at the far north end of the island, Deception Pass.

Deception Pass is a narrow channel between Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands. It's the only inlet/outlet for a giant area of water to the east of Whidbey, so at tide changes the water rushing through the gap is downright awesome. There are stunning views from the highway bridges over the passage, but also from the beaches below, and the park has some of the best hiking trails in the park system. It's one of the gems of the region, and simply shouldn't be missed.

After Deception Pass, you follow SR 20 back (via bridge) to the mainland, then if time allows a visit to La Conner, another lovely little town, is easy. From La Conner it's back to I-5 and south to Seattle, around an hour, or call it 90 min. to the airport area.

This is a really fun day, with exposure to bigger-than-life industry, a lovely ferry ride to a scenic island full of cute towns and awesome natural sites, and a terrific immersion into the amazing diversity of the region. It's easily doable in the time you have available, but you'll sleep on the plane, if you get my meaning.

Thanks for the suggestion! That sounds like an excellent plan...my husband is a plane freak...:D

Forgot to ask...what time would you book Future of Flight?

Forgot to ask...what time would you book Future of Flight?

Kind of a head-scratcher. Probably I'd go for an 11:00 slot, or maybe 11:30; however they will take you earlier if you get there quicker and if there's room. The issue is how long the disembarkation and car yoga will take in Seattle. The earlier you're off the ship, the better - Pier 91 can be a scrum on Sundays.

If you get in a time crunch on the island, I'd pass on Fort Casey; coming from Virginia you probably have an adequate local supply of historic forts and battlefields ;). Also you could skip Langley or La Conner (either, not both) depending on the time.

Even if you choose to stay in Seattle, there is plenty to do. Woodland Park Zoo is very nice (10 minute drive from downtown) and there is also an aquarium on the waterfront. There is miles of hiking is in Discovery Park, though forest and meadows, with great water views and a beach (10 minute drive from Seattle and free parking, but take all valuables with you from the car). The Ballard Locks are near Discovery Park. The locks are very active in the summer and there is also a fish ladder viewing area. The Arboretum (another large park) is very nice. Pike Place Market is always great right in downtown, as is the Olympic Sculpture Park. Both are free. The Seattle Underground Tour is fun for all ages and explains much of Seattle's fun history. The Museum of Flight is very nice (about 10-15 minutes from downtown Seattle). If you took your time to enjoy the sights I've listed here, it would fill 3 days.

My call would be to see more in Seattle and not spend your time driving to see sights outside of the city.

Thanks for the suggestion! That sounds like an excellent plan...my husband is a plane freak...:D

If he's a freak for historic planes, I have one more suggestion: the Flying Heritage Collection, on the other side of Paine Field from Boeing's Future of Flight tour. Paul Allen, one of the founders of Microsoft, collects things--like the Seahawks, the Portland Trailblazers, most of the rock and roll memorabilia that's in the Experience Music Project museum, and the historic aircraft in this great small museum. Most of these planes are very rare--some are the only ones in the world of that type that ate still in flying condition. If you're interested in aircraft--or history--it's worth a stop.

• 4 weeks later...
There is miles of hiking is in Discovery Park, though forest and meadows, with great water views and a beach (10 minute drive from Seattle and free parking, but take all valuables with you from the car).

I'm bringing this thread back up because we are also doing a red eye flight out of Sea Tac in June. (on a Friday, though)

The car seems like a great idea, and I love the idea of checking out Discovery Park. Wondering if you could clarify about the taking all valuables out of the car, though. Does this mean the car is likely to be broken into, even if things are in the trunk? If we are renting the car as a way to deal with all our baggage, seems like it will be impossible to remove all valuables and take them hiking with us. But maybe you meant just don't leave things in view like iPads and cameras to tempt anyone?

We've traveled to places where it is both ways, so just trying to get it straight in my head! Thx!

I'm bringing this thread back up because we are also doing a red eye flight out of Sea Tac in June. (on a Friday, though)

The car seems like a great idea, and I love the idea of checking out Discovery Park. Wondering if you could clarify about the taking all valuables out of the car, though. Does this mean the car is likely to be broken into, even if things are in the trunk? If we are renting the car as a way to deal with all our baggage, seems like it will be impossible to remove all valuables and take them hiking with us. But maybe you meant just don't leave things in view like iPads and cameras to tempt anyone?

We've traveled to places where it is both ways, so just trying to get it straight in my head! Thx!

Seattle is a very safe city and your car probably wouldn't get broken into, but they have signs up in the parking lot indicating that it is a high prowl area and no valuables should be left in the car. Everyone's comfort level is different, but since they have warnings in the parking lot, I wanted to be sure and pass that along. There is parking at the visitors center with people and families coming and going. I have never seen glass in the parking lot or anything suspicious when I've been there, but there must be a reason they put up the signs.

If you go, the visitor's center is staffed with people who can give you a map and tell you the best, most scenic trails to take. The park is a great way to get into the great outdoors of the NW without having to leave the city. The Ballard Locks are very close to Discover Park and worth a stop. You can spend 20 minutes to 2 hours there depending on how interested you are in what you see.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the car if you leave everything in the locked trunk.

That said, a couple of thoughts. First, June is often a transitional month in Seattle; we say that summer usually starts on the 5th of July. Not every year, of course. Still, you might think about a fall-back plan if the weather is uncooperative when you're here.

Second, there are many parks and beautiful nature areas in Seattle, both on salt water, like Discovery Park (a former Army base, by the way) or on fresh water, such as the many parks along Lake Washington. You might want to google Lincoln Park, Seward Park, and the Washington Park arboretum, for example.

Another thought is that with a car, and in June, you might enjoy a drive out into the countryside to Snoqualmie Falls, an impressive waterfall around 40 min. east of Seattle in the little town of Snoqualmie. The falls, and the Salish Lodge overlooking them, featured prominently in an old TV series, Twin Peaks, and in June with all the melting snow from the mountains, the falls are likely to be very impressive. There are hiking trails, a snack bar, and other attractions at the falls, and also downstream, where the beautiful Snoqualmie Valley will be lovely in June. It's a great out-of-town excursion, easy as a day trip.

snoqualmie-falls1.jpg

Thanks, y'all! Good info. Those falls look amazing! It is soooo flat where we live (coastal NC) that the chance to see something like that is pretty tempting. Much to consider...

I hadn't even thought about renting a car when we got into Seattle. Our flight also doesn't leave until 10pm the night we arrive back. I'm glad I saw this thread because I really didn't know what to do all day with having luggage and I didn't want to just hang out at the airport.

Another option to consider if you have an evening flight is a drive to Mt St Helens. It's an easy day trip and a fascinating place to visit. You see the devastation, the regrowth, and at the visitor center you're practically looking inside the crater.

Check out these Seattle web sites for other options:

http://www.visitseattle.org/‎

https://www.seattle.gov/visiting/