The Truth About Forward Facing Balconies on the Royal Princess

emileg

Excellent question. We have a late departure from St. Thomas next year and it would be perfect for a UBD.

johnmik1 is correct about the drapes having to be closed at night because the lights disturb the bridge. I often went out onto the balcony at night to look at the sea and the stars with out problems. I am not even sure that there is a balcony light you can turn on at night. Probably not, which means anytime you're out there after dark, you are 'in the dark' ! It's not like the steward is going to set candles on the table for you either, although I might bring some of those flameless candles with me next time I cruise those forward balconies !

johnmik1 is correct about the drapes having to be closed at night because the lights disturb the bridge. I often went out onto the balcony at night to look at the sea and the stars with out problems. I am not even sure that there is a balcony light you can turn on at night. Probably not, which means anytime you're out there after dark, you are 'in the dark' ! It's not like the steward is going to set candles on the table for you either, although I might bring some of those flameless candles with me next time I cruise those forward balconies !

How wonderful. We most often take balconies and are often disappointed by the ambient lights of the ship and when cabin neighbors leave their balcony light on. For me, one of the most enjoyable parts of nature is to be able to look up at the skies and one would think that being in the middle of an ocean would be perfect but, unfortunately, not often the case. We have a forward facing in November on the Royal. Fingers crossed it will be dark for us.

We have cruised on the Royal twice, the first was the maiden voyage and the second was the British Isles. We booked L101 the second time and it was a great deluxe cabin with a huge forward facing balcony. There was some wind but we mostly enjoyed being outside in port and on less windy days. I think you could certainly enjoy UBD if the conditions are right. If you have an early dinner when it is still light outside and it is not too breezy... why not. Our relatives had L103 and the balcony was narrower by just a bit though we all loved our experience in the forward balconies. Have a wonderful cruise.

• 1 month later...

I have read some of this thread but not all. What I did read has me very interested. I am looking to book 2018 on Royal and have a few questions. I would need to open the balcony divider between L101 and L102 specifically. If there is no balcony light, is there enough light to walk from one balcony to the other? Lastly, can anyone comment on the motion that far front? I usually book midship or mid front without any problems. I realize we cannot predict the sea and very front of ship likely has more motion. I guess I'm asking how much more than mid front.

• 5 years later...

Just booked L101 on Majestic Princess for 9/16/2023 Alaska cruise (r/t from Vancouver). 

There's a fantastic video online of this cabin from 2017 (Royal Princess) that sold me.  Looks like paradise, and is $1000 less than a comparable Deluxe Balcony on the "hump" for this sailing. 

Now begins 2 years' worth of obsessing over this cabin!  😄

Majestic6 L101 L102 (fwd-facing balconies).jpg

Edited by RobertsonCruisoe
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, RobertsonCruisoe said:

Just booked L101 on Majestic Princess for 9/16/2023 Alaska cruise (r/t from Vancouver). 

There's a fantastic video online of this cabin from 2017 (Royal Princess) that sold me.  Looks like paradise, and is $1000 less than a comparable Deluxe Balcony on the "hump" for this sailing. 

Now begins 2 years' worth of obsessing over this cabin!  😄

Majestic6 L101 L102 (fwd-facing balconies).jpg

You will love  this cabin.   Balcony is  so  large and  being  able  to see as  you enter  the  glacier in  Alaska will be  awesome.

We have  sailed  in  this  cabin  several times  as well as M108. 

We sailed  into Portugal during  the  early morning  sunrise as the  city slowly came  to  life and  the view  was  incredible.  Gibraltar  as  we sailed into  the pier was another breathtaking  site.

Enjoy  your  cruise!

we've been in L103 and will be in L101 in december on the regal and these cabins are by far the best bang for your buck! theres enough room for the pair of chairs and two hammocks! wind can be jarring when youre at the railing when youre under way, but if you stand back a step then its no worse than a side balcony. lido deck rooms are more private than the same cabins on deck 15, since lido cabins look down into them... 

On 10/15/2021 at 3:06 PM, Steelers36 said:

Did spiders scatter when the cobwebs were dusted off this old thread?  😊

At least they used the search function to find the relative post, unlike most people who start a new one!!!

• Like 5

Got L101 booked for the 7 day France and Spain cruise in October - after seeing it pop up then disappear then pop back up again; made sure I disabled the upgrade option too ! Did a fair bit of research and watched some great videos and it does look like it is a super option. Even bought a hammock which hopefully should be fun. Will be the first time on the Lido deck too which should have some benefits also and hopefully quite at the frontmost cabin.

• Like 1