Difference between Carnival and Royal Caribbean

MizErin1215

I've been on 3 cruises with Carnival and today, while inquiring about my 4th with my TA, she mentioned that RC is much easier to deal with regarding group bookings.

For those of you who have used both cruise lines, which do you prefer? What are the differences between the 2? Having only been on Carnival, I tend to go with what I know, but am intetested in maybe exploring my options. Thanks for any input!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I've been on 3 cruises with Carnival and today, while inquiring about my 4th with my TA, she mentioned that RC is much easier to deal with regarding group bookings.

For those of you who have used both cruise lines, which do you prefer? What are the differences between the 2? Having only been on Carnival, I tend to go with what I know, but am intetested in maybe exploring my options. Thanks for any input!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

As you can see we have sailed both lines. While I am Platinum on Carnival and will certainly continue to sail with them, I do love Royal!

You should give them a try and see for yourself......

Edited by GTO-Girl

I like the MDR food on Carnival over RCL but I like the RCL ships much better. Oh and before someone points out the obvious, I know that food is subjective but so is entertainment, ships decor and the like.

Edited by Karysa

Carnival, The cabins are bigger. The décor is brighter, not flashy, just more zip to it. We were getting food that was not hot. Once we shared our frustration, the problem was taken care of.

RCCL, The people seem to be a bit more older.

For us, service has been good for both. As you can see by my signature, we have done both.

My wife and I like to sail during the fall (when kids are still in school). Yes, we are older (early 60's), and we prefer RCCL, which seems funny since we have cruised more on Carnival. (we like to sail out of Galveston).

It just seems to us (IMHO) RCCL is a little more comfortable and a little less glitzy.

I think people normally find what they are looking for.. We enjoy both!

QTPie :cool:

Whenever someone asks this question, the usual answers mention food, entertainment and decor. However, there is one very obvious difference (which is rarely mentioned) if you do a side-by-side comparison: the itineraries. On a seven day itinerary, Carnival will typically have more ports of call (usually 4 ports of call and two days at sea), and Royal Caribbean will typically have more "at sea" days (usually three ports of call and three days at sea). Also, with a few exceptions, Carnival costs less than Royal Caribbean. We've sailed on both cruise lines, and like them equally well, but for different reasons. If you're at all curious about RCCL and see an itinerary you like, give them a try. What's the worst that could happen? That you might have a great cruise and enjoy your vacation?:eek: Now wouldn't that be be just awful?:rolleyes::D

Hi,

And if you enjoy sailing out of Galveston...why not give Royal's Navigator of the Seas a try...she is currently going through/just finishing (?) a refurb. and should be in fantastic shape !! (I think there is a large thread discussing her refurb. with pics etc...might want to peruse it):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1968301&referrerid=422315

Enjoy

Woody

Edited by rwr235

Once upon a time we thought that RCI was one of the best mass market cruise lines with decent entertainment and very good food and service. But somewhere along the line RCI made a decision to make their emphasis on building the biggest cruise ships and focus their business plan on shorter cruises where they could truly maximize onboard revenue. We think that currently, there is little difference between Carnival and RCI except the design of their ships. The reality of RCI is that when you base everything on economies of scale the quality does suffer. There is a reason why all the ultra-luxury cruise lines use smaller vessels...which allows more control over quality and service.

Hank

We have sailed on four Carnival cruises and four RC cruises. We picked each one based on the itinerary.

While my wife prefers smaller ships like the Radiance of the Seas, I prefer the larger ones like the Mariner of the Seas and her sister ship Adventure of the Seas, I enjoy the Promenade and Ice Skating shows which they both have.

Give RC a try. I think you will enjoy it. You might enjoy my wife's website which contains pictures of our cruises including the ships that we have sailed on. The links below will take you there.

Our first cruise was RCI and it was fabulous. Since then, we have been on 3 with carnival out of Galveston. The first one was ok it was just a 2 night and we only went to gamble. The other two, not so good. I came back with a upper respiratory infection on the 2nd one because the AC In the room was messed up. The last one, I broke my foot on the second night in high seas.

That aside, I think there is a real difference in the clientele. Carnival is known as the "Fun" ships for a reason. Party people. As I am now in my mid 50's, I do still like to have a good time, but not with people who don't know how to properly dress or behave in public.

Our next one is NCL and I am anxious to see what the difference is between them also.

As others have said, give RCI a try. I think you'll enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...