Celebrity and Holland America

Mekka

We sail and enjoy both HAL and X and find them pretty close in the product they offer. That said, I ran across this post on a Holland America Secrets thread the other day which, IMHO, sums HAL up perfectly -

These days most new build ships from other lines place an emphasis on what's going on within the ship. It almost seems that the ocean is an afterthought. With all Holland America ships, the focus is still on what's going on outside the ship.

Lots of open deck space (more so on ships that do not have cabanas), the Crows Nest lounge at the front of the ship that offers tremendous views of ocean and where your ship is headed, the wraparound promenade deck on every ship that goes all the way around the ship - here you can stretch your legs and feel the breeze, watch the ocean for sea life, or grab a deck chair in the shade and really feel like you are at sea.

To me, a cruise on Holland America is more of a journey on a ship as opposed to a vacation on a floating resort hotel - and that's something that keeps me coming back to Holland America.

Thanks for posting this; we haven't cruised HAL yet but these observations are a big plus. One of the things I really dislike about where new, big ships are heading is that they are removing people from the ocean. The lack of a true promenade deck, for example. Taking away great forward-facing interior public spaces to create cabins, etc.

Which of the HAL ships would you say best epitomize what the quoted language describes?

That is what I like so much about the M-class ships on Celebrity. You do have the promenade wrap around deck on 5 and there is lots of glass and the Revelations or Constellation lounge on Deck 11. I love the glass elevators on M-class over looking the sea.

There is something lacking for me on S-class but I still like the ships, just not as much as M-class.

You can also do the free machines...but they do get very busy...the $15 an hour is an option

On my recent Caribbean cruise on the Silhouette, I went between 645a-7a and did not have a problem getting a tread mill. For a Med cruise last October on the Reflection, for that time it was not busy at all. You could have your pick of location.

That is what I like so much about the M-class ships on Celebrity. You do have the promenade wrap around deck on 5 and there is lots of glass and the Revelations or Constellation lounge on Deck 11. I love the glass elevators on M-class over looking the sea.

There is something lacking for me on S-class but I still like the ships, just not as much as M-class.

I agree with you that the promenade deck on the M-class ships is superior to that on the S-class ships (particularly since the life boats on the latter block much of the view of the water), but it's not a wrap around deck on the M-class ships. You can walk a long way down the length of the ship on the port and starboard sides, but you can't go all the way around outside (at least from my recent experience on the Infinity). Both forward and aft, at the end of the straightaway, I would have to cut across the interior of the deck to get as much of a lap as I could.

I might be wrong, but X ships do not have a full promenade deck, meaning you can walk laps around the ship. As far as I know none of them do. Not good for walkers or people who want to relax in a lounge chair.

HAL ships, at least the ones I have sailed on, do. The Promenade deck is roomy, and people do lounge in reclining chairs with blankets and usually a book and/or a drink. Many of the loungers will be snoring as you walk by. I like it. It is a much nicer place to get in my walk than the small narrow track that is provided on top of a X ship

Lackof a full Promenade deck is the one thing I believe X ships lack.

As far as I know most ships still have some kind of bar/lounge/room with great views high up at the front of the ship (usually called the crows nest or similar).

Thanks for posting this; we haven't cruised HAL yet but these observations are a big plus. One of the things I really dislike about where new, big ships are heading is that they are removing people from the ocean. The lack of a true promenade deck, for example. Taking away great forward-facing interior public spaces to create cabins, etc.

Which of the HAL ships would you say best epitomize what the quoted language describes?

We haven't sailed all of the different classes of ships on HAL so can only speak to our experience which has been on the Vista-Class ships and R-Class ships (specifically, the Amsterdam and I point that out because the ships in this class are not cookie-cutters of each other) ... though I suspect all of the HAL ships reflect the same feeling.

Many thoughts, many different likes, and not so likes:eek: Do you shop at Macy's or Dillards? Both sell clothing, same concept. Our only sailing on HAL was in the 1990's on the OLD Westerdam, the first ship to be cut in half and streached, when they had their 'no tipping' policy. We sat with the ships Doctor & family at dinner, still my wife felt the level of service was lacking. Due to this 20 yrs ago she will not consider sailing with HAL again, yet we have many friends that like the product they experience on a HAL cruise. Bottom line, you have to go and feel if the differences are to your taste and liking.

Oh, you can still find people snoring in a wonderful lounger on deck 5, 'protected' from the ocean by the life boats!

Edited by wallie5446

I might be wrong, but X ships do not have a full promenade deck, meaning you can walk laps around the ship. As far as I know none of them do. Not good for walkers or people who want to relax in a lounge chair.

HAL ships, at least the ones I have sailed on, do. The Promenade deck is roomy, and people do lounge in reclining chairs with blankets and usually a book and/or a drink. Many of the loungers will be snoring as you walk by. I like it. It is a much nicer place to get in my walk than the small narrow track that is provided on top of a X ship

Lackof a full Promenade deck is the one thing I believe X ships lack.

As far as I know most ships still have some kind of bar/lounge/room with great views high up at the front of the ship (usually called the crows nest or similar).

You are correct and I got the deck wrong- it is actually deck 4. It works ok for me because I just cut through the doors from one side of the deck to the other and continue my walks.

We sail and enjoy both HAL and X and find them pretty close in the product they offer. That said, I ran across this post on a Holland America Secrets thread the other day which, IMHO, sums HAL up perfectly -

These days most new build ships from other lines place an emphasis on what's going on within the ship. It almost seems that the ocean is an afterthought. With all Holland America ships, the focus is still on what's going on outside the ship.

Lots of open deck space (more so on ships that do not have cabanas), the Crows Nest lounge at the front of the ship that offers tremendous views of ocean and where your ship is headed, the wraparound promenade deck on every ship that goes all the way around the ship - here you can stretch your legs and feel the breeze, watch the ocean for sea life, or grab a deck chair in the shade and really feel like you are at sea.

To me, a cruise on Holland America is more of a journey on a ship as opposed to a vacation on a floating resort hotel - and that's something that keeps me coming back to Holland America.

This really makes me want to sail on HAL although I never have. That's a big part of cruising for me, just looking at the ocean, daydreaming, and reflecting on life. (:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have cruised both lines many times. I think as a rule Holland's cabins are bigger.

I love the raisin buns at breakfast. I could go on HA just for that HA HA.

I feel its more social on Celebrity. In all the trips on HA never had a lot of activity in the bars. Sometimes my son in law and I would be the only ones in the bar. For me thats one of the things I enjoy most is the socialization with other cruisers. Cant count the times I went to the piano bar after dinner and its us the piano player and the bartender.

I love the steps on the ladder into the pool on HA, ON the S class ships no steps just a straight up and down ladder.

I cruise enough that usually price is what drives me.

I have always had great service on both lines but think Celebrity is a little better.

Norma

That's a big part of cruising for me, just looking at the ocean, daydreaming, and reflecting on life. (:

You will really enjoy the Reflection deck 15 aft, one of our favorite places on the ship. For sail away or sunset go to the;

Sunset Bar

It anchors one end of the Lawn Club, the first half-acre of real grass on a cruise ship, on the highest deck. Spectacular views and a casual country club atmosphere make this a relaxing ritual every evening. Watch the sun set on the water

I have been on two HAL cruises and many Celebrity (I am Elite). What I liked best about HAL were the beds and the bathrooms (on regular verandah cabins). The beds were far more comfortable then on Celebrity and the bathrooms far more spacious than M class and a bit better than S class. I felt the food and service were about the same on both - very good. What I did not like about HAL was the entertainment and general vibe of the ships - boring. Even though my husband and I are not young (we are in our sixties), we want to have some fun on a cruise and, as others have said, there's not much action on HAL. What I dislike most about HAL now is their smoking policy. I would consider sailing with them again if they brought their policy into line with Celebrity's, but not until then.

Sheila

1. MS Eurodam

2. MS Nieuw Amsterdam

This is very well said with an exception of one mistake (highlighted in red):

In fact, the ships that have cabanas as an original design have more open deck space (Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam).

One cruise on HAL (Oosterdam) was enough to tell me that HAL is not for me. The ship looked as though it had been decorated with cheap furniture from a bordello yard sale. Cheap looking furnishings. It looked as though Joe Farcus had designed this ship. The ship is nothing more than Carnival's Spirit class with a HAL funnel.

Pinnacle Grill was a major disappointment. Tried it twice. Wasn't any better the second time around. Celebrity had much much better specialty dining. Service is better on Celebrity. I thought the service on HAL was just average. Actually RCI has better service.

Two areas where HAL excelled. Bedding and lido dining. The best bedding that I have experienced on a ship. MDR was also just average. Celebrity was better here.

The S class ships have a great design. Beautiful ship.

The above are my opinions and observations. I suggest giving them a try and decide for yourself.

[quote name='cruisingator2']I thought the service on HAL was just average. Actually RCI has better service. The above are my opinions and observations. [/QUOTE]

Conversely, we've tried RCCL twice, thought that for the most part the service was really lacking, and is one of the many reasons we will likely never sail that line again. Just goes to show you ... opinions are like, well, you know. ;) But aren't we lucky that there are so many options to try! :)