Morristown

gabbygrrl

We decided to add a stay in Atlantic City prior to our cruise out of Cape Liberty. However, it is too expensive to stay there the Friday night before we sail, so we are driving over to Morristown NJ for that night, then leaving the next morning for the cruise.

Wondering how long it will take to get from Morriwtown to the port? Mapquest says 35 minutes and I'm wondering if that's accurate-for a Saturday morning.

Will it be difficult to navigate once we get close to the Terminal or are there plenty of signs?:eek:

Just use Garmin to check: Morristown, NJ to Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal is about 30 miles, 35 minutes is the official travel time needed - current traffic @ about 60 minutes. For a mid-Saturday morning coming in, I would say 45 minutes should do - just follow in Rt. 78 toward Holland Tunnel (NY) - and as you get closer in - there will be signs marking Cape Liberty. Exit 14A off I-78 to Rt. 440 South and as you exit, more signs - you will be going thru local streets & intersections - and the ship should be visible from the distance way before you reached this area coming from points south & west of the terminal.

Passing thru mostly industrial area off the I-78/Rt. 440 with lots of trailers moving around - it's generally a left turn at the intersection for the pier/dock, and if you missed it, just take the next local street a 1/2 mile south (by a small shopping center & homes/houses on the right) & turn around. Print out turn-by-turn direction from MapQuest or Google Map, it's very easy to follow & you really don't need a GPS or navigation on a smartphone - if you are still worried, do a virtual drive-thru on Google Map with Street View.

Enjoy your cruise - given a choice, rather get "boxed" in the cabin, an "inside" would do fine, than this cold & icy weather, more "nuisance" snow on the way tomorrow in the forecast. Arrrrhh, sea legs ... sea legs. :D

We decided to add a stay in Atlantic City prior to our cruise out of Cape Liberty. However, it is too expensive to stay there the Friday night before we sail, so we are driving over to Morristown NJ for that night, then leaving the next morning for the cruise.

I'm just curious why are you driving PAST Cape Liberty to stay in Morristown. With relatives or friends, I understand. But if you are paying for a hotel, there are quite a few inexpensive hotels (3 and 4*) around Exit 8-11 or 12 on I-95 (Cranbury to Woodbridge) that can be booked on Priceline for about $75 or less.

Just looked at a receipt my driver turned in from the Hilton at Raritan Center, Edison. $67 + taxes/fees-total $83- on Jan 8, booked through Priceline bidding out of our office.

Then you can go across 440 and be heading NORTH on 440 to make a RIGHT turn into the port instead of waiting in line to make the LEFT turn when you are going SOUTH on 440.

If you are paying for lodging, you might save quite a bit of time staying south of the port.

Directions to Cape Liberty from NJ Turnpike exit 14A

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

I'm just curious why are you driving PAST Cape Liberty to stay in Morristown. With relatives or friends, I understand. But if you are paying for a hotel, there are quite a few inexpensive hotels (3 and 4*) around Exit 8-11 or 12 on I-95 (Cranbury to Woodbridge) that can be booked on Priceline for about $75 or less.

Just looked at a receipt my driver turned in from the Hilton at Raritan Center, Edison. $67 + taxes/fees-total $83- on Jan 8, booked through Priceline bidding out of our office.

Then you can go across 440 and be heading NORTH on 440 to make a RIGHT turn into the port instead of waiting in line to make the LEFT turn when you are going SOUTH on 440.

If you are paying for lodging, you might save quite a bit of time staying south of the port.

Agree. Morristown is really out of the way from AC. I'd look at Woodbridge as an option that would be super convenient and an equal distance.

It will all depend. The Bayonne / Jersey City / Turnpike area can get very congested if there is any sort of accident. I'd budget at least 1 hour from Morristown.

I also agree that staying in Woodbridge / Edison or anywhere along the Garden State Parkway until you hit Route 78 -- well south of Morristown -- saves you some miles.

Try Priceline for AC. We've gotten some awesome deals. AC on weekdays isn't expensive at all but for a Saturday night you will pay.

Thank you for all the info! I had a good deal at the Hyatt in Morristown since I have status with them but due to all of the advice, I've switched over to the Sheraton in Edison instead.

I appreciate all of the help...and have adjusted my plans accordingly :)

Good choice! It's right in the way. Don't be put off by the light industry area it's in, it's perfectly safe and go half a mile and there are plenty of options for food. If you need to kill time, it's a few minutes in either direction to two large malls, I have a very strong preference for Menlo over Woodbridge.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

You've made a good decision and will save yourselves a lot of unnecessary driving and potential traffic issues on a Friday night.

These are the port directions from the NJ Turnpike Exit 14A.

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.