Seabourn Odyssey Gym

absolutboy20

I know the gym on board is going to be smaller than the mid sized ships I have cruised on, but does the gym have free weights/barbells or a bench? It's difficult to tell from the description on their website.

I'm also wondering if there are any other programs for fitness offered on board. My previous experiences with visiting gyms on a ship are that they are packed to the point where it became apparent I was not going to be doing any exercising for the duration of the cruise.

Yes, has free weights and at least two benches. I found it to be very well equipped. Three elliptical, at least six treadmills. Believe a stair master and one or two bikes. Also weight machines....one of the better gyms. Used almost every day and was quite satisfied.

Well equipped gym. Only one or two classes a day; full class first day but fewer and fewer attendees/participants each day. Classes require advance sign up but add your name to wait list and show up since invariably many who do sign up do not show up. You may want to download some of your favorites from home, esp. if you have your own personal trainer, and then just watch on your tablet/iPad.

Thanks for the pictures!

Wow that's a pretty sizable gym for this class of ship. I think I even see a pullup bar which I find rare in a cruise ship.

The Seabourn website doesn't have that many pictures, so when I looked there I thought it was just going to be the Kinesis system (don't exactly know what that is) and cardio machines.

I agree that the motivation to work out on a vacation lags for me, but the flip side is that if I do set up the alarm early enough to go to the gym, I normally get to enjoy watching a sail in to port whereas I would normally sleep through it.

Am currently on the Sojourn, which I think is identical to the Odyssey. Am an obsessive compulsive exerciser, so the size and quality of the fitness center has been a big issue for me. Happy to report that all is well. Have done some weight-training with the free weights and machines, almost as good as my huge fitness club at home. Lots of machines for aerobic exercise, which you can see in the photos. There are times of the day when the center is busy, but never ever full. Other times just one or two people. I use the recumbent bike. There is only one of those, but I have never had a problem getting on. The fitness center has been one of my favorite things on board.

Am currently on the Sojourn, which I think is identical to the Odyssey. Am an obsessive compulsive exerciser, so the size and quality of the fitness center has been a big issue for me. Happy to report that all is well. Have done some weight-training with the free weights and machines, almost as good as my huge fitness club at home. Lots of machines for aerobic exercise, which you can see in the photos. There are times of the day when the center is busy, but never ever full. Other times just one or two people. I use the recumbent bike. There is only one of those, but I have never had a problem getting on. The fitness center has been one of my favorite things on board.

I too am quite obsessive, and since I am not retired, I absolutely love having time to enjoy a great workout for a couple of hours. I have rarely had to wait for any machines on any Seabourn ship, the small or the large. One of the best features of Seabourn is being able to dock rather than tender and then I can run on land. On overnights, you can be out running at sunrise. Very cool. I love the passengers I meet who are as dedicated (obsessive??) as me.