anyone disabled been on the Enchantment?

curiousjly

Has anyone here been on the Enchantment since she has come out of drydock, or is planning on doing so before Nov?

I have been reading the posts in the RCI forum, and they are interesting and full of information, but do not cover from the perspective of mobility issues.

How easy is to navigate the ship? Are there a lot of areas where a person can stop and take a sit break?

What deck do you get on and off the ship? Is there a problem navigating it to get out of there to find a place to go and rest? On excursions, how hard is it getting off and back on the ship?

Restrooms, are there plenty of them? I have been reading from the other forum that they have been having some major problems. Has anyone else had problems?

I am hoping that it will get fixed before I go, I don't want to cancel, but if there are still having problems, then I either won't be able to go, or if I go, I won't be able to eat!

I will be checking here to see if anyone has some information, thanks all.

Jly

We will be traveling on August 14. My mother is disabled and utilizes a scooter. So I will gladly provide you some information. I tried to research info on the rooms (handicapped) to get further information - but none available. So I will be taking pictures of the room to share with everyone.

From what I understand, they refurbished and added alot of handicapped rooms. We will see how it is in a few weeks. I will fill you in when we return.:)

We were on the Enchantment last Aug w/ my father in law who is nearly wheelchair bound. The staff did an excellent job of getting this large man up the ramp to the ship. I thought the boat was very disabled friendly - he did complain abt not having a place to sit in the elevators and when he did use his wheelchair he sometimes had to wait 2 or 3 turns before he could get into the elevators during peak times. They did not have a disabled room, but he was able to get around there ok. He did not take any excursions with us - he would not have been able to easily get into a tender.

Jul - of our four ports, two are tendered in, two are docked. You and your mom may have to figure out if she can handle getting in and out of the tender.

Carol

Thanks Carol - Mom and I have discussed - she is not going to do the tender - so I am doing excursions on my own. Wow, fancy that - something on my own - no kids, no hubby - lol.

I cannot wait for the cruise - too far away - lol.

Hello all,

I have a question about the Boston Black Falcon Terminal in boston. My mom is able to walk but walks slowly and must stop to rest occasionally. Long walks get her legs tired. She and a friend are going on the Enchantment of the Seas (RC) in Aug. Has anyone been to the terminal? Is the walk to the ship up a lot of ramps and is it a long walk? Are there escalators or elevators? I am also concerned about the toilet situation that has been reported. BTW I am not going on the cruise with them, I am the "'chauffer". Another question-will I be able to go into the terminal with them to help at all or must I stay outside the terminal completely. I have my Mom's handicapped sticker for the car so I will be able to park right outside the terminal instead of the lot. Any info or hints about the terminal will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much

Thanks all,

I will be watching for the posts from those who sail her in Aug. From what I have been reading on the RCI forum, some but not all of the bathroom problems have been fixed, so hopefully by Aug it will be taken care of.

Other worries I have is the length of the gangway, is anyone going to be leaving from Ft. Lauderdale? Or going to Ocho Rios?

It is tendered at Grand Caymens, so I doubt I will leave the ship there, but I would like to visit Ocho Rios, if possible.

Has anyone been there, what is the pier like? Is it long, is there a long wait to reboard?

I have been checking out the Best of Ocho Rios tour, I believe I can do part of it, what I can't do, I will just sit out and rest. I am hoping to do some shopping, but am worried not just about the treatment from vendors, but about the walking about.

Sometimes I wonder if it is worth it, if I would be better off to stay on the ship, but then I hate to visit a area and not set foot on another country.

If I have to, I can, there will be less on the ship, so it has its pluses in that area.

Thanks so much for the answers.

Jly

Ocho Rios is a very long dock before you get to the terminal where everthing leaves from. If you have trouble with a city block, you can not walk this dock. I would use a wheelchair here (area is not very scooter friendly at all unless you are not leaving the area there). Dunn's River Falls has an area at the top from which someone in a wheelchair can watch the climbers or if you can walk some and do some steps you can walk the falls and see the area for views points that have seats (I did this, not go up the falls but boardwalk area).

Hello all,

My mom is able to walk but walks slowly and must stop to rest occasionally. Long walks get her legs tired. She and a friend are going on the Enchantment of the Seas (RC) in Aug.

Thank you so much

Divawife:

If long walks tire out your mom, you should arrange for a rental wc for her (you can have one delivered to her cabin). She can use a ship's wc to get to her cabin, as yes it's a long way -- on any large ship. Your mom will be exhausted from just walking to and from meals and other ship activities, and a manual wc will help her enjoy her cruise more. Alternatively since you are dropping her off, you can rent a wc from a local med supply place and just take it to the port with mom. This would save a few bucks, but it really depends on if you have the time to do it.

If she tires easily, she really needs a wc on a cruise ship.

Candy

Better yet, rent a wheelchair at home and take it with you. This way you can be familiar with the chair (and be sure it fits OK) before you go, and you will have it for both the travel to the ship (long hallways at airports too) and home again, and won't have to worry about it being delivered for you. Remember that you can gate check a wheelchair, and there is no extra charge for this from the airlines.

Archived