Calm beach in SJ?

Shar27

I will be in Port from 10-6 in March with 4 teens and would like to take them to a beach for the day.

I was wondering if there are any beaches where the water is a little calmer? From what I have heard, the waves can get pretty wild there and I think I would be a nervous wreck the whole time.:eek::p:rolleyes:

Yes, There is a perfect beach for you right across the bridge from Old San Juan in Condado. It is located directly next to the Conrad Condado Hilton. You can take a taxi for all of you for under $20.

As you can see in the picture, the beach is located in a protected cove that is great for swimming. I've even seen people snorkel here.

You can also rent chairs here, there is usually a few vendors or two selling cold drinks or food, and restaurants within easy walking distance. It's about 10 fifteen minutes from downtown OSJ and even closer to the Pan Am pier.

OldSanJuanMarch312012036-1.jpg

This beach is inside the lagoon side, which is why it is calmer :) Nearby you can also rent standup paddleboards, have lessons, and we saw a huge inflatable slide thing too, looked fun for teens. http://www.velauno.com/

For the taxi, be sure to specify the Conrad Condado Hilton. There is also the Caribe Hilton which is across the lagoon- you can see it in that beach picture posted- but they aren't the same property. The Caribe has a private beach, and I don't know if they do day passes.

This beach is inside the lagoon side, which is why it is calmer :) Nearby you can also rent standup paddleboards, have lessons, and we saw a huge inflatable slide thing too, looked fun for teens. http://www.velauno.com/

For the taxi, be sure to specify the Conrad Condado Hilton. There is also the Caribe Hilton which is across the lagoon- you can see it in that beach picture posted- but they aren't the same property. The Caribe has a private beach, and I don't know if they do day passes.

You are right about the Caribe Hilton- It is across the water from the pictured beach. I couldn't find my pictures of the Conrad with the beach to post, but the OP would definitely want to go to the Conrad- not Caribe Hilton.

You are right about the Caribe Hilton- It is across the water from the pictured beach. I couldn't find my pictures of the Conrad with the beach to post, but the OP would definitely want to go to the Conrad- not Caribe Hilton.

That looks lovely. Thanks for the responses.

We got lots of them but always keep an eye on the weather swell reports, especially during the winter, when even the most protected beaches can get pounded.

This is Playa Puerto Nuevo, half an hour west of San Juan:

Wow!! That is seriously scary!

Where do you find the swell reports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The U.S. National Weather Service/NOAA Marine Forecast provides the swell/syrf reports:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/marine/

To get there, it's probably best to rent a car or hire a tour vehicle. Taxi would be too expensive. Puerto Nuevo is a Public Beach.

But be aware, if you take a Taxi and ask the driver to take you to "Puerto Nuevo", he'll take you to a neighborhood on the south side of the harbor that also goes by that name. You need to tell him "Playa Puerto Nuevo in Vega Baja".

The U.S. National Weather Service/NOAA Marine Forecast provides the swell/syrf reports:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/marine/

To get there, it's probably best to rent a car or hire a tour vehicle. Taxi would be too expensive. Puerto Nuevo is a Public Beach.

But be aware, if you take a Taxi and ask the driver to take you to "Puerto Nuevo", he'll take you to a neighborhood on the south side of the harbor that also goes by that name. You need to tell him "Playa Puerto Nuevo in Vega Baja".

Thank you for your help. Do you know around how much the trip should cost?

Edited by Shar27

Thank you for your help. Do you know around how much the trip should cost?

A tour van could probaly go for about $45.00 an hour, but you're free to haggle for a fixed price. I'm sure there will be plenty of independent drivers outside of the cruise terminal offering tours. As long as you hail a licensed van, you would probably be okay. The licensed tour vans have tags that say "Excursiones Turisticas" and a nnnnET tag number.

Or, you could ask or research further about specific and well regarded tour operators and book in advance with them. Sorry that I can't recommend any as I am a local.

But, the little beach by the Hilton Condado Plaza, as pictured above, would do fine, too, if you want to do that on your own.

Or, a little further east, behind the San Juan Marriott in the Condado area, there's a nice beach too. But to consider this beach calm the Atlantic would have to be flat that day. Otherwise getting in the water is only advisable for surfers and strong swimmers.

Further east, in the Isla Verde area near the international airport, there's a better protected beach behind the Intercontinental/El San Juan/Ritz Carlton hotels.

And last, if you want to venture further into a locals mostly beach area, there's Piñones just east of Isla Verde. It's rugged and underdeveloped, but there are some awesome natural saltwater ponds there. A taxi could probably drop you off here, but there's no taxi stand or anything close to organized transportation for your return. You would probably have to agree to a return pickup time with your taxi or pay him to wait for you.

Now, there are no restroom or facilities at any of these beaches. The only "organized" beach is the government run Isla Verde Public Beach (Balneario de Isla Verde) at the eastern end of Isla Verde next to the Courtyard By Marriott. You could inquire with the Ritz, the El San Juan or the Intercontinental if they offer day passes for their facilities for the time of your visit.

Otherwise, you would have to become a patron of a restaurant or something in the area to use their restrooms or what have you.

Good luck!

Yes, There is a perfect beach for you right across the bridge from Old San Juan in Condado. It is located directly next to the Conrad Condado Hilton. You can take a taxi for all of you for under $20.

[/url]

Yes just be aware as stated it's a taxi ride. "right across the bridge from Old San Juan" is a little deceptive way to describe it. It's actually about 2 miles from Old San Juan and the pier.

Edited by bouhunter

Yes just be aware as stated it's a taxi ride. "right across the bridge from Old San Juan" is a little deceptive way to describe it. It's actually about 2 miles from Old San Juan and the pier.

Actually, I mentioned that they could all take a taxi there for under $20- so hopefully, I wasn't being deceptive at all:)

I would not recommend walking there.

So I was showing this thread to my BFF who I cruise with every November and she insisted that I let you know who she is and say hello.

Hello from Robyn (ckrobyn)!!:D

Hello Robyn! Great to hear from you! Did you hear that San Juan gets the Oasisized Navigator beginning next year? :)

• 1 month later...

We are looking at going there in September (Playa Puerto Nuevo)

Is it a pretty safe location to travel with kids? I would love to see the waves crash against the rocks.

Thank you for any opinions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums