Jewel VS Voyager Class

I have been on the Navigator and Mariner the last year and loved them both. I am now booked on the Jewel next September,a 10 day out of Boston.

I like this itinerary,plus the fact that we won't need to fly,as well as that the Jewel is pretty new.

Since this is a 10 day,and the ship will be smaller,what other differences will there be? I am just worried about there not being as much to do. I could do without the ice rink,although the shows were good,but loved all the activity on the royal Promenade.

You should find just as many activities (with the obvious exception of ice skating) only spread among many different locations, rather than on the Royal Promenade. One difference you will note is the connection you have with the sea throughout the Jewel, while the Voyager ships tended to draw you towards the interior of the ship. I happen to like the placement and design of the Schooner Bars on Radiance class ships compared to their location and layout on Voyager ships. The Safari or Colony Club areas on Radiance ships are fantastic, and , again IMHO, preferable to the lounges on Voyager ships. Also the retractable roof over the solarium provides you with temperature controlled and weather protected access to the pool that is lacking on Voyager ships.

We have sailed the Jewel, Adventure and Voyager (among others) We LOVE the Voyager class because of the size of the ship.

We were very happy with the Jewel. They did a great job making the ship "feel" bigger. The decor is stunning. The Seaview Cafe is GREAT. The Schooner bar is the best we have ever been in. The Safari club was a great change for us. The Radiance class ships are the only ones with that feature. We didn't find as many activities as on the larger ships, but after sailing RCCL before, there really aren't that many that interest us anymore.

So, to answer your question. I think you'll be happy on the Jewel. We were :)

Bobbie

I have been on Explorer, Mariner, and Serenade. I also wrestled with the decision to try a Radiance class ship after the Voyager class as I love those ships.

I knew that I would miss the Royal Prominade and it turned out that I did, including sitting at the Wig and Gavel in the evening on the Prominade. After being on a Voyager ship you don't get that initial "wow factor" when you first walk in to a Radiance class ship and see the Centrum. As beautiful as it is it just does not compare to that first step onto the Royal Promenade. However, the Radiance ships have some very nice features as others have already pointed out. You will find all the activities of a Voyager ship on a Radiance ship with the exception of the parades, ice show, roller blading, and ice skating. You will find the same types of shops but situated differently and in a more congested area. All of the glass allowing views of the ocean from just about anywhere, including the centrum elevators, is a big plus. I very much liked the enclosed solarium. It was a great place to escape the Caribbean heat. I think the Seaview Cafe is much better than Johnny Rocket's. Many of the lounges, and the Windjammer, were much more beautiful than on the Voyager ships. However, the dining room is nowhere as spectacular as a Voyager dining room.

I have not had any regrets about chosing Serenade and when we were in St. Lucia with Adventure I never once wished that I had booked her for the Southern Caribbean instead of Serenade. You have the same situation as I did... two Voyager ships in a row. I could have done Adventure but I thought it would be nice having a different type of ship to explore after the two Voyagers. There may be some things that you will probably miss being on Jewel but I think you will find other things that you prefer being on a Radiance class ship. However, I don't think you will end up disappointed with your decision to try Jewel.

We were on the Jewel twice this year---February and June. We have also been on the Voyager class ships. We love the Voyager class!! We don't think that the Radiance class and Voyager class compare, but if you want a certain intinerary you have to sail on different ships. We love the Voyager Class---------------------------------Tootsie

We've done Sovereign and then Explorer, and have Jewel booked for next March. Expecting a different but still cool experience.

Your screen name looks familiar from Nancies or Ants. Davehead?

Have fun.

bobj

2 cruises, 25 shows

Have been on AOS, Brilliance (10 day) and Radiance. I personally find the Radiance class ships to be a better choice when cruising with just my fiance. If we were going with my children (20's), I would chose the Voyager class. The Radiance class just seem to be classier where the Voyager class has more going on but at the price of lots and lots of people.

Mark

For me, Radiance class is the best of what RCI has to offer. I have done both Voyager and Adventure. Voyager is one of my least favorites but I had a good time on AOS. It did not, however, come close to my experience on Serenade, my best RCI experience yet.

SOS was elegant, beautiful and the Centrum is stunning! I much prefer it over the Grand Promenade. Voyager and her sisters are much like big hotels and I prefer the way SOS incorporates the sea into the design; you always know you are on a cruise!

Also, I find that the passengers on SOS dressed up more and I enjoyed that as well.

Plus, fewer kids, a plus in my book.

Johnbob7...I am a BIIIIG Dave fan.

Everyone else,thanks for your input. I am worried I will miss the royal Promenade,or be bored towards the end of the cruise,as it is a 10 day cruise.

I think I will go ahead with the Jewel,a change of scenery is always good!!

Brenda:)

Archived