Best way to transport water/soda on Dawn

glm7777

What is the best way for us to get a case of water and a case of soda onto the Dawn? We are parking at the terminal in Boston so I assume we will be wheeling our luggage to the ship ourselves. Are there carts or dollies in the parking area that we can use to transport the water and soda? I can't see my daughter and I trying to manage our luggage, carry-on bag AND cases of water and soda from the parking garage to the ship! Any help would be appreciated

You will not be jockeying your large cases onto the ship -- only things that can be put through an airport style X-ray machine. There are porters at the curb for your bigger bags (or even smaller bags, if you don't want or need to carry them). You probably should keep anything valuable or NECESSARY like electronics/cameras and medications with you -- for your peace of mind, not because they are likely to be pilfered. People report slapping a room-tag on cases of water and soda and giving them to the porters too, although it MAY vary by port.

I don't believe you will find dollies or carts for passenger use. If I were you I'd drive by the ship loading area, drop the daughter and all bags, have her check the checkables with the porters (TIP -- at least $1-2 per bag or "parcel"), then wait for you while you park the car.

Boston has a place for you to pull off and drop your checked baggage. Then you can go and park and just carry your carryons.

Also unless things changed from the past summer, there was no parking near the terminal for long term parking anymore. The parking was a field that was a block or so away with complimentary buses to take you to the terminal.

Pretty much all ports are set up to drop your luggage off and then go park.

As to water and soda, many put it in their carryon roll aboard. No big deal.

And even more have figured out that the ships water is just as good as bottled water.

There is a parking garage right around the corner from the terminal. 5 minute walk.

Thats what CC posters had told us too but in the summer that parking garage had sign on it that said "no long term parking"

Edited by che5904

We put 12-packs of soft drinks in our carry-on luggage and brought it aboard. My understanding was that the porters in Tampa wouldn't handle soft drinks and water like the porters in other ports would.

The OP is going out of Boston not Tampa.

Not sure if Boston will our not, but OP can always put it in a soft side cooler or a duffel bag and then they would handle it.

The only thing, if you do that it will probably show up later than your other bags. That's what happened to us (not a big deal) but because there was only a case of water in the bag, they opened it without us there, found it only was sealed water and sent it to our room.

If they had decided not to open it without us present, I guess we could have been sent to the naughty room over it. But we weren't.

Used it in June, they must of stopped it after that.

Our cruise was the week of June 19th, so maybe it's just hit and miss. We asked security at the port and they sent us back over there. We told them there was a sign that said we couldn't, he was confused. Then we asked someone that appeared to work there and they said nope we couldn't had to drive to this big fenced in field.

Thank you for all the info. We were going to drive but after reading these responses I think we are going to rent a van and driver to get us there and back - less hassle I think. And I am going to get a britta bottle for water and throw a 12 pack of soda in my suitcase - problem solved! Thanks again!

Edited by glm7777

I'll share our experience with water and soda on our recent trip out of Port of Los Angeles. We brought 24 pk of water and two 12 packs of soda. I used strong clear packing tape and wrapped the two 12 packs together then wrapped well the water to stabilize it. I then took several copies of our luggage tags and taped them on as well. When we arrived at the port I gave a porter our bags including the water and soda. I carried on my wine. Everything made it to the room just fine.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forums mobile app

The parking lot is always available for cruise parking. It is only a five minute walk. We brought a case of water and a 12 pack of water with us for the past two years. We purchased an inexpensive duffle bag with wheels and check it with our luggage. No problem at all. We did observe from our balcony both cruises several cases of water falling from the forklifts that were transporting the luggage to the ship. Upon hitting the ground, the tape on them tore and water bottles were rolling all over the pier. I definintely would not recommend just taping the bottles. The price of an inexpensive bag is worth it and you can use it again to pack your souvenirs for the trip home!