Need help picking a cruise

ychro

I know that these posts show up all the time, but after reading around I feel like the posts don't fit my situation or that there are still some holes to be filled in my plans.

I am 27 with a 29 yo girlfriend. She has talked about going to Alaska over and over again and with a little extra money in the bank I am looking at booking a cruise. This will be both of our first times to Alaska, but not our first time cruising.

We both have several Royal Caribbean cruises under our belts, and enjoy them quite a bit. Most recently we cruised on the Oasis. I like big ships with lots to do, especially in the Caribbean where the ports aren't too exciting if you don't have hair to braid.

Due to cost of travel, and being able to do the Seattle flight for free, but not Vancouver. I believe the 2 best options are the NCL Pearl or the Celebrity Solstice. Price wise I think we could afford a Balcony on the Solstice and a Mini-Suite on the Pearl. Looking at less then $3k. Please suggest other cruise lines if applicable.

Most say that itinerary is more important than the ship, which i get but I am afraid we may be bored on the NCL ship.

Any information you can provide to make the decisions easier would be appreciated. Also what should we expect comparing Royal Caribbean to the other cruise lines. Service, Food, Ship etc.. Drink and extra curricular costs comparison? When is the best time to book? It seems like there are a lot of additions if you book now so I am planning to book soon for May-June time frame. What weather considerations should I have with such an early cruise? Should I try to get a room on Starboard or Port side of ship, for best views? Anything an Alaskan Newbie may miss is appreciated

Some things I am considering:

We don't smoke: Plus for Celebrity

We have cruised Royal Caribbean: I know the cruising program for Royal Caribbean carries over, but is it any good. Previously it was things like a couple buy one get one free drinks and captains night for some free watered down drinks.

Like good food and dining: Sounds like Celebrity is the better option

We like to be on our own, dining alone etc..: Not sure which is better

May take advantage of Spa packages: Not sure which is better(price and quality)

Itinerary: Sounds like NCL wins here for Glacier Bay?

Stuff to do Onboard: Not sure. Bowling is mentioned for NCL, but Celebrity has the Lawn Club. Royal Caribbean had tons of stuff, rock climbing surfing, ice skating, comedy club, tons of drinking spots, etc..

Difference in Mini Suite vs Balcony room: NCL

Additionally I have never had to take a flight or stay in a hotel prior to cruising so I could use some tips on that.

I plan on having the Southwest Companion Pass and 110k points to take care of the flight

I also will have about 55k points on a Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. I plan to use that on a nice Hotel room before the cruise, any suggestions?

Also are there any specific sites I should hit prior to getting on the boat, since I probably wont get back to Seattle for a while? (Food, landmarks, etc..)

Like I said I know these questions are asked all over, but I cant find just the right information to sway me in either direction. I appreciate any help you all provide.

I know that these posts show up all the time, but after reading around I feel like the posts don't fit my situation or that there are still some holes to be filled in my plans.

I am 27 with a 29 yo girlfriend. She has talked about going to Alaska over and over again and with a little extra money in the bank I am looking at booking a cruise. This will be both of our first times to Alaska, but not our first time cruising.

We both have several Royal Caribbean cruises under our belts, and enjoy them quite a bit. Most recently we cruised on the Oasis. I like big ships with lots to do, especially in the Caribbean where the ports aren't too exciting if you don't have hair to braid.

Due to cost of travel, and being able to do the Seattle flight for free, but not Vancouver. I believe the 2 best options are the NCL Pearl or the Celebrity Solstice. Price wise I think we could afford a Balcony on the Solstice and a Mini-Suite on the Pearl. Looking at less then $3k. Please suggest other cruise lines if applicable.

Most say that itinerary is more important than the ship, which i get but I am afraid we may be bored on the NCL ship.

Any information you can provide to make the decisions easier would be appreciated. Also what should we expect comparing Royal Caribbean to the other cruise lines. Service, Food, Ship etc.. Drink and extra curricular costs comparison? When is the best time to book? It seems like there are a lot of additions if you book now so I am planning to book soon for May-June time frame. What weather considerations should I have with such an early cruise? Should I try to get a room on Starboard or Port side of ship, for best views? Anything an Alaskan Newbie may miss is appreciated

Some things I am considering:

We don't smoke: Plus for Celebrity

We have cruised Royal Caribbean: I know the cruising program for Royal Caribbean carries over, but is it any good. Previously it was things like a couple buy one get one free drinks and captains night for some free watered down drinks.

Like good food and dining: Sounds like Celebrity is the better option

We like to be on our own, dining alone etc..: Not sure which is better

May take advantage of Spa packages: Not sure which is better(price and quality)

Itinerary: Sounds like NCL wins here for Glacier Bay?

Stuff to do Onboard: Not sure. Bowling is mentioned for NCL, but Celebrity has the Lawn Club. Royal Caribbean had tons of stuff, rock climbing surfing, ice skating, comedy club, tons of drinking spots, etc..

Difference in Mini Suite vs Balcony room: NCL

Additionally I have never had to take a flight or stay in a hotel prior to cruising so I could use some tips on that.

I plan on having the Southwest Companion Pass and 110k points to take care of the flight

I also will have about 55k points on a Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. I plan to use that on a nice Hotel room before the cruise, any suggestions?

Also are there any specific sites I should hit prior to getting on the boat, since I probably wont get back to Seattle for a while? (Food, landmarks, etc..)

Like I said I know these questions are asked all over, but I cant find just the right information to sway me in either direction. I appreciate any help you all provide.

What does your girlfriend want out of Alaska? I suggest that be considered. It is also very simple to get between Seattle and Vancouver if you want a superior scenic cruise routing. Amtrak is reasonable, one way car rentals, buses.

Are there any activities you have decided you wish to do? I think you are making assumptions about NCL that make the decision for you a negative, although not all factual. I don't find much difference at all between the major cruise lines. ALL have cut back in their food quality. And frankly Alaska is about what is outside the ship. None of the cruiselines are loaded with ship activities, if you are comparing this to the Caribbean. Celebrity may have a ship naturalist on board which can enhance a sailing. Not sure, but if going to Hubbard, it is a risk of not getting close access in your timeframe. Glacier Bay is always accessible, seeing at least 4 glaciers.

You mention "money" several times. Half your trip is about shore excursions with Alaska, in my opinion. It isn't like the Caribbean, wandering around the port areas and returning to the ship. Far more is available, and certainly very worthwhile. Yes, people do claim to have a good time, not doing excursions, but they also don't know what they are missing.

IF you do end up going on a ship with Glacier Bay and ONLY want your viewing from your cabin, then you need to consider a port side cabin, so the commentary matches up with what you are seeing. Hubbard and Tracy Arm are forward viewing. Definately, getting out of your cabin and moving around the ship, is superior for what you will see.

Thanks Budget Queen.

I know my Gf is more into the sites of Alaska, so the excursions will definitely be a consideration.

Can you suggest some excursions that I should look into? I think the main difference between NCL and X for the destinations is Glacier Bay vs the Fjord. What excursions should I consider at each location?

Does one of the ships provides a better viewing experience on deck? I have seen people mention blankets and hot chocolate being passed out on NCL, and X has the lawn club.

Thanks for the comments, it definitely opens my eyes a bit.

Thanks Budget Queen.

I know my Gf is more into the sites of Alaska, so the excursions will definitely be a consideration.

Can you suggest some excursions that I should look into? I think the main difference between NCL and X for the destinations is Glacier Bay vs the Fjord. What excursions should I consider at each location?

Does one of the ships provides a better viewing experience on deck? I have seen people mention blankets and hot chocolate being passed out on NCL, and X has the lawn club.

Thanks for the comments, it definitely opens my eyes a bit.

There are over a hundred excursions. Going to any cruiseline and looking at a shore excursion list will give you good ideas with detailed descriptions and prices.

Be also aware that going out of Seattle is going to be the least scenic route with essentially 2 open ocean sea days, vs, inside passage land viewing.

You mention "fjord", Tracy Arm?? Going in May has more potential for detours and cruise ships NOT making the full transit. I find it "necessary" for my priorities to always purchase the add on cruise ship tour of Tracy Arm, grossly superior compared to the cruise ship transit.

HAL passes out pea soup, the "hot chocolate" may have a fee, depending on the cruise line. This is only during the glacier sailing day.

HAL passes out pea soup, the "hot chocolate" may have a fee, depending on the cruise line. This is only during the glacier sailing day.

Hot Chocolate is one of the "free" beverages on NCL. The mix based stuff is at any of the coffee stations in the buffet. Not certain about the other lines.

I am also thinking of an Alaska cruise, but have not done one yet so I can't comment on the excursions.

You may want to also look at some of the Vancouver cruises. There are airport shuttle buses from the Seattle Airport to Vancouver. Amtrak also runs trains form downtown Seattle to downtown Vancouver.

I have been on the Jewel there is a lot of space on the upper deck.

Edited by em-sk

There are over a hundred excursions. Going to any cruiseline and looking at a shore excursion list will give you good ideas with detailed descriptions and prices.

To the OP: Just to add to BQ's advice, since money seems to be a big factor for you, I'd do your research on excursion pricing. This isn't like the Caribbean where you can go to the beach for $20. The shore excursions are generally much more expensive in Alaska and can run in the hundreds of dollars.

Edited by Paula_MacFan

I have only been to Alaska twice, so I don't have the extensive experience of some of the other posters.

However, let me say our first trip was a last minute special in early May, so for around $500 pp we did the 7 night cruise including airfare from Los Angeles to Anchorage/Vancouver back to LAX in 2000. And we DID NOT book one single excursion. In Sitka we debarked, walked around town, caught a small van that made about 7 stops around town. Took it up to the Raptor Center and walked back down through the Rain Forest to the National Park to see totem carving and local dancers. On to Juneau and Ketchikan. In Ketchikan it was pouring rain, so we debarked, I saw a van with a sign in the window "Native Tour" so for $15 I took the little tour. My husband returned to the ship.

Our 2nd trip, I wanted to see more of the interior so we did an 11 day cruisetour, with only 3 days on the ship, debarking in Skagway and continued by coach and rail to the Yukon and Interior Alaska finally getting to see Denali. Again we were quite content to see the sights that HAL felt were important along the way, with no real need to spend hundreds of dollars for additional excursions. I did book Jeff King's Husky Homestead Tour at Denali. I have been an Iditarod fan for a number of years and Jeff has won 4 times, I really wanted to meet him and his family. I told the others in my group, I was going if I had to walk. Thankfully HAL offered it as one of their tours (I think it was around $50 pp).

I have to further clarify, that I don't spend hundreds of dollars on any tours no matter where I travel. I think the most I've erver paid for a private tour was approximately $168 on our Med cruise for a private taxi from Naples to Pompeii & Sorrento for an 8 hour tour and we both thought we were crazy to do it, but did enjoy the day tremendously.

But then, I'm not into small boats for whale watching, helicopter rides or small airplanes, kayaks, etc. Those are the types of excursions that can add a lot of expense to your trip. There are buses, shuttles, taxis, or rental cars. If you do your homework, with this boards help, you needn't spend $$$$$ for excursions.

Google is your friend. If you search, each port has it's own website, sometimes offering free brochures, but definitely info on their website will show you what is available. You may have to contact different vendors to see what the costs would be, but easily done with a computer.

Are you talking 3K for the whole trip for both of you? That might be a little tight, even with no excursions. You have your homework cut out for you. Remember there will be the Daily Service Charge on the ship of about $12 pp per day. Any specialty restaurants, drinks, photos, spa, etc. Be very careful of expenses adding up quickly.

My Travel Agent (when I had one about 20 years ago) always told me to plan on spending whatever the trip cost was, so if I pay $2000 for the cruise, I take another $2000. The formula has served me well for 7 trips to Europe, 2 trips to Australia and numerous 1 week trips to Mexico, Jamaica, Tahiti, Alaska and Hawaii, as well as land travel around the U.S. There has only been the 1 cruise to the Med, that the formula didn't work. We estimated the $4000 for a 21 day trip and it ended up costing us $6000, but the EURO was very strong against the dollar at the time we went.

So pack half the clothes you think you need and twice the money.:D

I can't help you on choosing a cruise as our likes are totally opposite. I hate big ships, and like smaller 50,000 GT ships. So have fun planning & taking your trip to Alaska, it is an AWESOME experience that you will enjoy regardless of what ship you are on.

Edited by agabbymama