Carnival Balcony Accessible???

hn7609

Just booked a trip on the Liberty for July and was lucky to get the last accessible cabin that they had on the ship. A balcony cabin was my only choice so I went ahead and got it. My question is for anybody who has stayed in an accessible balcony cabin on a Conquest class ship........Will I even be able to get out on the balcony in my powerchair??

Based on my memories of balconies past when I was able bodied I'm thinking that the door is too narrow and that if I could get thru the door then there will not be enough room to turn around on the balcony. If I can't use the balcony it's not a deal breaker as my wife will be in heaven out on the balcony.....just wondering if I will be able to join her.

I have never been on a Conquest ship, but in November I was on the Breeze. I am wheelchair dependent, so we had a wheelchair accessible balcony cabin. I rolled out on the balcony a few times to spend some time there with my husband. My wheelchair fit through the door fine, but we had to keep the balcony door open since the balcony is so narrow my wheelchair handles were in the door way.

Not very familiar with ship classes, but I sailed on Spirit a few years ago using a mobility scooter. We had a "sideways" accessible room (take regular cabin and turn it 90 degrees so long side is where you walk in) with balcony.

First, the door to the balcony was right next to the wall of closets. There was little or no room to get to the start of the ramp out. Secondly, the slope of the ramp was ridiculous. It was only about 12 - 14 inches long and it had to reach the 6 inch lip of the door.

In fact, I found the ship to be barely ADA compliant. My scooter couldn't navigate the sliding doors to go out onto the deck. For the muster drill they told us to sit in the lounge. We sat there chatting with two other disabled passengers as there was no sound system so we couldn't even hear what was being said. :(

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I were in the HC suite on the Conquest. And I think you will have a very tough time if not impossible using a scooter. There was a lip in which the did provide a ramp but the balcony was very narrow. There would be no turnaround space for you and I know those scooters have trouble going up the little ramps provided.

My husband was able to go out on the balcony but had to help him in and out and he uses a small quickie wheelchair.

Thanks for the replies. It's sounding like I will not be able to use the balcony. Doesn't really make any sense that they would have an accessible cabin & not have the balcony accessible too. At least my wife & children will get to use the balcony. I'm just happy that they still had an accessible cabin left for me and we can all cruise together.