New to NCL - Now which ship?

darkauburnnotred

I went on my first cruise last year on RCL's Allure of the Seas. Well, the cruise bug bit me, and I want to go again. My fiance and I were talking, and we want to try NCL. My parents have gone on a couple cruises and have loved it.

I am stuck trying to decide between the Gem, Breakaway, or Getaway. We like entertainment and do participate in activities. At the same time, we like a good pool area. My fiance is the type who will go and randomly grab cookies at the buffet.

Any thoughts or pros/cons of each? I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks!

If you like lots of entertainment and activity, my guess is you'll prefer the newer Breakaway or Getaway. They're also larger ships, more in line with what you're used to on RCCL.

Aside from the Epic, NCL's other ships are smaller. Not necessarily any less fun, just a somewhat different experience from the "mega ship" experience. We happen to like the smaller ships a lot more, but to each his own!

If you like lots of entertainment and activity, my guess is you'll prefer the newer Breakaway or Getaway. They're also larger ships, more in line with what you're used to on RCCL.

Aside from the Epic, NCL's other ships are smaller. Not necessarily any less fun, just a somewhat different experience from the "mega ship" experience. We happen to like the smaller ships a lot more, but to each his own!

We are willing to try smaller ships as well. My biggest concern is the itinerary of the Gem. It basically goes to Nassau for three days. We went there on Allure, spent a hour walking around, and went back on the ship.

We are willing to try smaller ships as well. My biggest concern is the itinerary of the Gem. It basically goes to Nassau for three days. We went there on Allure, spent a hour walking around, and went back on the ship.

We love the Gem and always do the 9 day Caribbean itinerary.

I like the size of the Gem (very similar to the Star, that we cruised on last month) and am leery of the mega-ships, but itinerary is going to trump all (well, itinerary and price of course!). If you can't make a different itinerary on the Gem, fit your calendar, then flip a coin and pick one of the other two. Don't sail to a port that didn't impress you the first time -- go somewhere new.

You're gonna have a great time!

My first cruise was also the Allure. I sailed the Carnival Liberty a year later and was slightly underwhelmed. I booked the Getaway this May and am excited to be back on a bigger, newer ship again (granted not as big as AOTS).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by notthatpaulyd

If you're looking at the Bahamas/Florida itinerary you only spend 1 day in Nassau. Great Stirrup Cay is a nice beach day.

After Allure all ships will seem small! Personally I think smaller ships have advantages as do big ships.

Epic, breakaway and getaway certainly and 'high energy' ships with loads of dining choices (more than RC) and lots of entertainment.

Other NCL ships will give you a slightly less 'full-on' experience, with not so many choices of food and entertainment, but this is not always a bad thing!

I went on my first cruise last year on RCL's Allure of the Seas. Well, the cruise bug bit me, and I want to go again. My fiance and I were talking, and we want to try NCL. My parents have gone on a couple cruises and have loved it.

I am stuck trying to decide between the Gem, Breakaway, or Getaway. We like entertainment and do participate in activities. At the same time, we like a good pool area. My fiance is the type who will go and randomly grab cookies at the buffet.

Any thoughts or pros/cons of each? I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks!

Have you been to Bermuda? You might want to try Breakaway to Bermuda. Great entertainment and Bermuda is very pretty. Plenty to do there or stay on the ship...

We cruised on the Gem two years ago, and the Dawn last April (our 2nd time), also the Jewel three years ago. We like all the entertainment. However all three ships have one pool which was always crowded. It did not matter to us since we liked to lounge in an uncrowded area. The gem had a nice large shower type thing so you could cool off. That said, we are going on the Breakaway in April

as we want to try a new, large ship.

You are correct. I was looking at it on my phone, and it looked like three days in Nassau. The other two locations are fine.

Bermuda is an option. It is something we never thought of. My fiance is very hesitant about going to New York though which is really weird. He said he went when he was a kid and was not impressed (?).

It probably will come down to a combination of pricing and airfare.

By the way, I noticed that NCL is offering very discounted airfare for Getaway. Is there a way we could request to fly in the day before? I'm scared to fly in the same day.