Worse than they thought

tbill

I hope that RCI will compensate the crew with some sort of over-time payments, for all of the extra effort and work performed in taking care of passengers needs, and cleaning.

The entire crew should be given paid R & R, while a different staff works the next cruise.

R and r sounds nice but most of the crew cannot disembark in NYC anyway due to customs issues. Remember I said most not all. NYC is a madhouse at the moment and too expensive anyway for any crew that could actually get off. And rccl is not going to pay to fly the average crew member home mid contract. The best they could I would think is try to bring on some extra help when they meet up with a sister ship and allow any sick crew to actually quarantine themselves

Fwiw any crew with 2 bucket illness is going to be obvious to anyone around them and physically unable to work anyway

I would think the well crew members that did their jobs efficiently this past week would get some sort of hazard bonus pay but think it is very little though as cruise lines do not contract with these workers at high pay scales the real money the stewards for examr will make comes from the extra cash tips they get

Let's look at the Noro Virus a different way. We recently heard on our nightly news broadcast of a severe outbreak of Noro fairly close to our town...This happens all the time. You catch Noro on the job. You are very ill for one to three days. Do you stay home or go to the job? If you go on to the job, then you spread it to your fellow workers and thus begins the cycle. Do you all get paid sick leave plus your regular salary? Noro happens everywhere all the time, hospitals, schools, churches, nursing homes, anywhere there are people. Let's stop blaming the cruise ship. Someone, passenger or crew, brought the virus onboard and it spread like a wildfire. That's what a virus does. The ship wasn't sick...If i'm on a cruise and I am sick for several days I just consider that my misfortune and I don't expect a free cruise and fees reimbursed. It just happened and there's nothing I could have done about it. Would I board a ship if I was knowingly sick with Noro? I think not....I would reschedule. I am now off my soapbox. Happy sailing everybody!

But this cruise was cut short and onboard activities and entertainment were curtailed. The difference here is that well pax were unable to have a full cruise experience

If pax are sick on a cruise and cannot partake that is one thing. It is another thing when a well pax wants to enjoy all a cruise has to offer for the entire time but the cruise line cancels things and heads home early

Financial compensation is the only solution at that point

Let's look at the Noro Virus a different way. We recently heard on our nightly news broadcast of a severe outbreak of Noro fairly close to our town...This happens all the time. You catch Noro on the job. You are very ill for one to three days. Do you stay home or go to the job? If you go on to the job, then you spread it to your fellow workers and thus begins the cycle. Do you all get paid sick leave plus your regular salary? Noro happens everywhere all the time, hospitals, schools, churches, nursing homes, anywhere there are people. Let's stop blaming the cruise ship. Someone, passenger or crew, brought the virus onboard and it spread like a wildfire. That's what a virus does. The ship wasn't sick...If i'm on a cruise and I am sick for several days I just consider that my misfortune and I don't expect a free cruise and fees reimbursed. It just happened and there's nothing I could have done about it. Would I board a ship if I was knowingly sick with Noro? I think not....I would reschedule. I am now off my soapbox. Happy sailing everybody!

You do know it has not yet been determined that this outbreak was Noro Virus.

Agreed

A few years ago I was on a 14 night cruise . There had been a lot of noro on the sailing before, so extra cleaning had been done and precautions were in place. In addition, I did everything conceivable to avoid getting sick-including not even playing the slots so I wouldn't touch coins or parts of the machines that had been contaminated.

Nevertheless, I and others got it. But, we apparently all were very responsible in reporting to medical and by the second week it was all but eliminated.

Let me emphasize that it would not have been controlled if those of us who got sick hadn't reported ourselves. Anyone who would fail to do so has absolutely no consideration for other passengers and crew. If I discovered such people I would turn them in and if was in authority, they would have a guard outside their door and would be kicked off the ship at the next port.

I was quarantined for 4 days and my wife (as a precaution) for one day. I didn't whine or complain. I didn't ask for compensation, and was thrilled when they gave me $100 per day as a future cruise credit. Plus, I was given medication, a diet that helped, and videos to occupy my time. Luckily there was a pause button ;).

The compensation offered to the passengers on this cruise is generous and shame on those who think they are entitle to more.

My attitude is that I am blessed beyond the comprehension of most people in this world. Simply being on a cruise ship is unimaginable to those who have never even drunk potable water or had sanitary facilities.

So what if I got sick for a few days. People get sick, and I was simply unlucky to have it happen to me on a cruise.

One of my biggest concerns is that the crew got tipped as they normally would-or even more considering all the extra time and unpleasant tasks they would have had. Unfortunately, there are likely people who took their displeasure out on the crew-and shame on those who did.

Ship happens.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Thank you, Thank you. Very well said and I agree with everything you said.

Being sick at home does not compare, IMO, to being sick on vacation. It happened to me, and trust me, you cannot compare it to being sick at home in bed. I agree, you absolutely cannot blame the ship or Royal Caribbean (unless it's the food), however 600+ people is a LOT of people to fall ill. People paid a lot of money to be on that ship, plus their vacation time, etc. I believe the "right" thing to do is reimburse as much as posibble for the loss the passengers incurred. It was not the cruise they paid for, it's as simple as that.

I feel for Royal Caribbean as well, but to simply dismiss this as "it could happen anywhere" falls short, at least to me. It's really no one's "fault" except the people who choose not to wash their hands (if that is the true cause), but as a company Royal Caribbean should still choose to do the right thing. There were reported cases of noro on the prior cruise, as well.

A few years ago I was on a 14 night cruise . There had been a lot of noro on the sailing before, so extra cleaning had been done and precautions were in place. In addition, I did everything conceivable to avoid getting sick-including not even playing the slots so I wouldn't touch coins or parts of the machines that had been contaminated.

Nevertheless, I and others got it. But, we apparently all were very responsible in reporting to medical and by the second week it was all but eliminated.

Let me emphasize that it would not have been controlled if those of us who got sick hadn't reported ourselves. Anyone who would fail to do so has absolutely no consideration for other passengers and crew. If I discovered such people I would turn them in and if was in authority, they would have a guard outside their door and would be kicked off the ship at the next port.

I was quarantined for 4 days and my wife (as a precaution) for one day. I didn't whine or complain. I didn't ask for compensation, and was thrilled when they gave me $100 per day as a future cruise credit. Plus, I was given medication, a diet that helped, and videos to occupy my time. Luckily there was a pause button ;).

The compensation offered to the passengers on this cruise is generous and shame on those who think they are entitle to more.

My attitude is that I am blessed beyond the comprehension of most people in this world. Simply being on a cruise ship is unimaginable to those who have never even drunk potable water or had sanitary facilities.

So what if I got sick for a few days. People get sick, and I was simply unlucky to have it happen to me on a cruise.

One of my biggest concerns is that the crew got tipped as they normally would-or even more considering all the extra time and unpleasant tasks they would have had. Unfortunately, there are likely people who took their displeasure out on the crew-and shame on those who did.

Ship happens.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Well said.

GMA is reporting this morning that after talking to passengers on board the Explorer of the Seas the situation on board is much worse than originally reported. They also reported that they are only refunding 50% of the cruise and offering 50% credit on future cruise. IMO that is a horrible compensation. The passengers that were not ill had a totally ruined vacation. They deserve a paid vacation for their troubles! ... and the poor sick passengers surely deserve a full refund. This is a horrible situation. I have four very good friends that are on that ship. I can't wait to see them on Thursday and get the real story. I will post a full review as reported by them.

Totals to a free cruise, so what gives? How is that not proper compensation? Sure they are probably assuming some will never cruise again, but for those who do, it's adeqaute compensation. Would a land based timeshare do this? No.

Totals to a free cruise, so what gives? How is that not proper compensation? Sure they are probably assuming some will never cruise again, but for those who do, it's adeqaute compensation. Would a land based timeshare do this? No.

Doesn't really total to a free cruise, but its ok for those that think its fair. I don't know about land based timeshares, I would never get involved in a time share. I think it is one of the biggest rip-off scams. I just have my own opinion. Its all good. Everyone is entitled to feel how they feel. Have a nice weekend.

grand isle joe;41468928]I would bet that one of those "poor passengers" brought the Noro virus onto the ship and infected all the others. How is Royal Caribbean held totally responsible in the first place. If people just told the truth when questioned and WASHED THEIR HANDS it would be a better cruise all around. But like most things in today's life it's "all about ME" all the time.....I feel bad for the crew who had to clean up after those infected.

Well stated…!

I am onboard the Explorer traveling with my husband and another couple. Three were sick -- very sick. The numbers of passengers affected by the virus reported at first did not take into account those who were sick but stayed in their cabins and did not report to the medical facility. Yesterday forms were distributed to gather the names of those passengers. The Captain and crew have been amazing. They have been working non-stop since early Wednesday morning. The compensation we will receive is adequate. We were able to visit two of the four ports and we've tried to make the best of an unpleasant situation. In addition, the amount passengers paid for various beverage packages was refunded in full. Mimosas and bloody mary's were served with breakfast. This may not sound like much for someone is sitting at home reading this, but for us here it was a very nice treat. RCCL is trying their best and it is appreciated. Will I sail again with RCCL - absolutely.

I tried to post a correction, but somehow it didn't attach to my original. Beverage packages were not refunded. This is what happens when you listen to other passengers and include their comments. I apologize for including this misinformation.

If you feel that way why are you cruising? The money you spend on a cruise you could donate to that "someone" who doesn't get portable water. Being a hypocrite buying spending thousands of dollars cruising then complaining that some people don't even have drinkable portable water is a joke.

Secondly it has been proven by stats that the cruise members themselves are the ones that usually bring on Noro. Look it up.

There is nothing worse than a hypocrite and you have proven to be one.:mad:

Your post is uncalled for, people are allowed to have opinions here without being called names. Enough, Please..

Hopefully you can show us the stats you talk about regarding crew bringing Noro onboard.

Heck, you could pick it up at work and have to use your vacation time if you don't have sick days.

I think Royal was more than generous with their offer.

Your post is uncalled for, people are allowed to have opinions here without being called names. Enough, Please..

Hopefully you can show us the stats you talk about regarding crew bringing Noro onboard.

Coulda fooled me NANNY!!!

This is not RCCL's fault. Anyone can get sick at any point in time. It is unfortunate, yes, that once the virus starts spreading others suffer. The ship didn't cause the virus, it is just a floating vessel that is containing it until it runs it course. To expect a full refund is nuts. When you sign up to go on a cruise ship or an airplane (or even walk into a doctors office!) you are aware of risks but you accept them at that time.

I agree completely!

Having read bits and pieces from the NORO-threads has made me even more aware of whats out there...on land. It has been a good education. I've always washed my hands with vigour when going to a restaurant or using the facilities.

Today I was sceptical of the buggy that I was pushing at the grocery store, pulling open the heavy glass doors when entering the Mall and so on. I will continue to wash, wash wash my hands and not touch nose or mouth if I don't have a tissue. I've been lucky on my last 3 cruises out of Sydney, Australia.

It's really sad that a much anticipated holiday, for so many, involved the Norovirus. Here is hoping that the next one will be filled with sunshine.

Emi

Edited by Emilija
spelling

Well, it appears the Caribbean Princess is dealing with noro too (based on the article below) :(

http://www.khou.com/news/health/Dozens-of-Princess-Caribbean-cruise-passengers-with-norovirus-back-at-port--242879111.html

YIKES! This is getting crazy!!! I wonder if they were at some of the same ports? You have people checking your cards to enter the islands that could have been sick, they pick up food for the ship at some of the islands, a shop owner could have passed it on...who knows?