Single Travelers Evidently Not Wanted

jwcook

Thin people are also apparently disliked by the airlines and equally discriminated against.

I weigh 150 pounds.

When I fly, I sit next to enormous people who rarely pay more than I do - and often pay even less than I do.

The airlines have to pay so many pennies per mile per pound to fly us around. They are in effect giving a discount to fat people - or they are double charging thin people.

Either way, I don't like it. It'd not fair.

There certainly are lines where the nominal single rate for lower-category cabins (usually inside or obstructed oceanview) are 150-160%. But that is based on the rack rate for a particular sailing, which of course no one ever pays: 200% of most promotional rates is usually far less than 150% of the list price. As other here have said, I just look at the grand total--and add tips and insurance on top--and if I find it reasonable I book it for myself. And I must say I have done very well on some recent last minute bookings: $1449 for a 14 night South America cruise and $1398 for a 13 night Canada/New England--both single occupancy in a cabin at the high end of the oceanview category. Yes in an ideal world the single supplement would be no more than the "non-comissionable" portion the second person would pay--even of the lowest promotional sale. But fair fares are out there if you take the time to reseach rather than rant.

Edited by fishywood

I don't remember which line it was, but someone once posted that going as a single they paid double the pp rate. They understood this and didn't have a problem with that. What they DID have a problem with was that they had to pay the port taxes, fees, gov't charges or whatever else they call them for the non-existent 2nd person, as well. I know all lines don't do this as part of our group on an upcoming cruise includes someone traveling solo and is paying the double rate, LESS the ancillary fees for the 2nd person. So I guess different lines do things differently. NCL has single rates, some lines charge 150%, some 200% of the pp rate, some subtract the 2nd person add-on fees, some don't. I guess the bottom line is that if your'e traveling solo, you need to investigate the policies of various lines.