Flight to Seattle question

plattwear

My mom and I will be flying from Houston, TX to Seattle in May for our cruise. It has been over 12 years since I have bought plans tickets. The price started out around $343 round trip when I first begin to research the flights, now it is $362 for a direct flight (both ways). Does anyone know by experience if it is possible the price will get cheaper or should I book it now before it goes up? I have been checking the prices on Priceline, Travelocity and direct with the airline.

Thank you for your in advance for your feedback.

My mom and I will be flying from Houston, TX to Seattle in May for our cruise. It has been over 12 years since I have bought plans tickets. The price started out around $343 round trip when I first begin to research the flights, now it is $362 for a direct flight (both ways). Does anyone know by experience if it is possible the price will get cheaper or should I book it now before it goes up? I have been checking the prices on Priceline, Travelocity and direct with the airline.

I just did a quick search on bing and found $307 on United (IAH-SEA flying in May 2 and returning May 10). You might want to set up a fare alert (there are various services online) or check daily for a week or so to see what the prices do.

edited to add: the price I found had 1 stop on the flight back, wasn't direct -- I overlooked that word in your post

Edited by JDinWA

There's really no way to know - the airlines use very sophisticated "revenue management" software to set prices. However that's a pretty good fare and my hunch - based on a LOT of flying to/from Seattle - is that the chances are better that it will go up than go down, so I'd buy now and not second-guess yourself.

Note that lower fares might result in arrival or departure times that are not compatible with the sailing schedule, for example departing Seattle too early on the day you return. Check the details carefully.

We always check airfaredotcom for prices but best bet is 330-300 days out.

Yes, the price I am looking at is specifically for the times I know that we would like to arrive and depart based on our disembarkation time. We are flying in a day early to do a bit of sightseeing and to ensure we do not miss the ship due to a delay etc.

Thank you all. I appreciate the feedback.

:cool:

This might sound silly, but check the airfare on a Tuesday morning. Don't know why, but that has worked for me a couple of times in the past (not saying for sure it will). Also, check fares out of Houston Hobby (if it's not too far out of the way), if you're only checking from IAH. Play around with the flight times. A 1 or 2 hour difference could make a big difference. Also, like the above poster said, set up a fare alert with like Travelocity or similar website. Fingers crossed that you find a great deal!

I agree with what a couple of the posters mentioned-especially checking the fares on Tuesdays, as well well as checking the fares out of Hobby-South West Airlines flies out of Hobby, so one would have to check their website directly-their sales usually start on Tuesdays, and run through Thursdays-not that I'm an ambassador for SWA;), but I also look for good deals-and with them, you don't have to pay luggage fees!:D Happy cruising!:cool:

I am flying, also from houston area to seattle, in july. I have found fares for my trip from 139 each way. I fly southwest. I have also found that if you dont mind a 2 hour drive up to the austin airport fares there, in my experience, are cheaper

I would second checking out Southwest. Their on-line fares often beat other airlines, but they are not listed on flight search sites like Kayak. A real plus for SW when going on a cruise is the two pieces of free checked luggage/person too. That can run you an additional $40-60 each way on most other airlines.

I booked our flights this weekend on United with direct flights and the times that were best for us. I would loved to have flown on Southwest but it is way on the other side of Houston from where we are driving in from. I really did not want the people taking us to the airport and picking us from the airport to have to drive through the Houston traffic. We live about 120 miles from Houston, I have flown out of both airports multiple times in the past..it has just been awhile. We have 90 days from today until our cruise and I am so excited. Thank you all again.

Now to decide on a hotel for May 2nd. Do the prices go down on those the closer we get? :cool:

Edited by plattwear